Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My hand brake is very poor and I have renewed the linings but the automatic adjusters have seized up.
Can not find an after market replacement adjuster like mine on the net any where.
How do I free off the old ones when removed from the car or can I use the speedy new ones which are manually adjustable.
I have found several suppliers of speedy but manual adjusters but am not sure if they will be OK as a replacement so can anyone advise me on this please.
Otherwise I think I may be able to set up the old jammed adjusters manually which looks like a fairly long trial and error job taking the drum on and off.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Soak the seized ones in a cup of diesel for a few hours, then clean them up and they should free off.

They don't work very well when they are free tbh. I've no idea why they should work in the first place, I can see how they are supposed to work, but they seem to rely on the correct parts moving and the adjuster staying still, when there is no reason for it to.

you can always drill a hole in the backplate and poke a screwdriver at the wheel, then put a grommet in the hole (or a bit of duck tape over it, this type always used to admit they wouldn't work, and had an access hole already...

Oh, don't tighten the handbrake cables, if it is ever going to work it needs the slack to move far enough to adjust itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Soak the seized ones in a cup of diesel for a few hours, then clean them up and they should free off.

They don't work very well when they are free tbh. I've no idea why they should work in the first place, I can see how they are supposed to work, but they seem to rely on the correct parts moving and the adjuster staying still, when there is no reason for it to.

you can always drill a hole in the backplate and poke a screwdriver at the wheel, then put a grommet in the hole (or a bit of duck tape over it, this type always used to admit they wouldn't work, and had an access hole already...

Oh, don't tighten the handbrake cables, if it is ever going to work it needs the slack to move far enough to adjust itself.
Hi Have found an excellent video for the MICRA which describes in detail how to tackle a seized rear brake auto adjuster.
Just GOOGLE
Nissan Micra Seized Rear Brake Auto Adjuster - Bing video
I am sure it also appiles to my 2008 1.4 Note rear brake adjuster

1 - 3 of 3 Posts