Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 1.4 activa for the Mrs, so apologies for daft questions, Notes are new to me.
I notice that being 80bhp (ish) it's a lot more flat and lifeless than a 1.4 td yaris. Is there anything that can just perk the engine up a bit? We've been used to the little kick up the backside from a turbo...
I was also looking at stereo upgrades, bought a double din fascia as it was a single din with cubby hole - are these fussy canbus cars or can I just plumb a cheap chinese android head unit in without issues?
Lastly, I want to dress it up slightly, like add ntec foglights and alloy wheels. I've not hoiked the bumper off to check, but is the loom present for fogs and will they just work, or do I need to program them in?

·
Super Moderator
2,013 Posts
Take it back and get a 1.5 TD. Diesels nearly always give a better torque, that's the ooomph.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take it back and get a 1.5 TD. Diesels nearly always give a better torque, that's the ooomph.
Unfortunately, diesel is out of the question. She doesn't do the miles to warrant diesel ownership. Her car is pre dpf her yaris barely gets warm by the time its at work. Given the 1.5's rep, I'd gut the dpf but she says no.
I think it's "Like it or lump it".
Purchased a double DIN fascia, and an android unit is incoming. Just need time to dismantle the car without her seeing!

·
Registered
172 Posts
A 1.4 Note will be getting on now and will probably have given the best of its life to its previous owners. Other than giving it a good service there is nothing you can do shorty of spending big money on a full engine rebuild.

But why did you not spot this lethargy before you bought it?

As for gutting a DPF you are aware that is illegal, an instant MOT failure and would render your insurance void since its considered a car modification.

But it seems that in reality android access is actually more important than getting the car running well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A 1.4 Note will be getting on now and will probably have given the best of its life to its previous owners. Other than giving it a good service there is nothing you can do shorty of spending big money on a full engine rebuild.

But why did you not spot this lethargy before you bought it?

As for gutting a DPF you are aware that is illegal, an instant MOT failure and would render your insurance void since its considered a car modification.

But it seems that in reality android access is actually more important than getting the car running well.
Looking at the specs, the torque is considerably lower compared to her yaris. It's a like it and lump it, with 60k dealer/local garage serviced, the engine runs spot on.
I was just wondering if anything other simple Nissan does to gag their engines back.
My daily is a 450bhp Ram Cummins, along with a 300bhp 300c. Any car I drive is a wet fart compared to them! The pair of us are used to the arse kick of diesel torque. This is the first normally aspirated car I've owned in 10 years.
Dpfs aren't a problem for me, my cars are my choices. Vosa haven't bothered me with my deleted vehicles.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looking at the specs, the torque is considerably lower compared to her yaris.
That is because one is a turbo diesel and one is a N/A petrol, totally different engines.

We now drive turbo petrols, excellent economy, excellent torque, excellent performance and no DPF.

Its a win, win, win, win win.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I was just a bit surprised that the torque on these are flat, I think I was expecting too much, but she's happy with it. That's all that matters.
As for dpfs though, I can see people are divided. But a well serviced engine with clean intakes, puts out less pollution than a regenning dpf- that churns out more nox than any mal serviced engine. I'm not opening up debates though. That's why I insisted on a petrol model.
And I agree, turbos are great... You think she'd notice if I shoehorned a VQ35DETT under the bonnet?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes, I was just a bit surprised that the torque on these are flat, I think I was expecting too much,
Your old Yaris was probably making about 130 torques at 2000 rpm. A quick tap at the Casio says that is 49 bhp.

Your Note is probably making about 80 torques at 4000 rpm but a lot less than that at 2000 rpm, probably 50 if you are lucky. A quick tap on the Casio says that is 20 bhp.

Big difference between 49 and 20.

Back in 1996 I gave up on petrols because of this, as emissions became stricter petrols had no go unless you ragged them. Diesels were great until the DPF created issues for many (we never had an issue) but then we discovered the turbo petrol in 2013 and also had a Note DIG-S which was of course Supercharged. The Note was fine (way better than a N/A petrol) but not a patch on Turbo's we have had and still have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts