Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My main dealer says that my 2017 Note now needs new front pads (down to almost 3mm) and discs (now down to almost 20mm) and have quoted £320 ! I guess new pads are not a surprise but is it normal for the disc to wear out at the same rate as the pads ? This is a 3 year old car we have had since new and it has done 28k miles of mainly lightly loaded countryside driving.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Seems low on mileage for them to be worn out, when i owned a Note, i replaced mine myself but the car had done 53k miles. It's an easy job that you can do yourself and the parts will cost you much less than you have been quoted from a main stealer. If you don't feel that you could do the work then just buy the parts needed and ask a local independant garage to do the work, it will still work out cheaper than the quote you have been given.
I did find this on the net -- Front Brake Discs Nissan NOTE | MISTER AUTO
Scroll to the bottom of that page and it says that the discs should be replaced at approx 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
History of my Note showed discs and pads changed at 45k by previous owner. Now at 86k I've changed them again, they were making grinding noises after heating up. Probably heavy long distance mileage before I bought it. Also changed original battery and added Powerpole connectors for jumpstart and power to things like chargers and transmitting radios. I used an independent local village garage. All season tyres to replace awful Chinese basic summer tyres. Upgraded chip on satnav and got a skinny spare wheel off eBay.
Like the four door Note compared to my little two door Peugeot 107

·
Super Moderator
1,933 Posts
I'm on my 2nd set of Brembo Discs and pads since replacing the crap that was attached to my Note. Almost done 162,000 miles so far. 2 years 3 months since the last Discs and pads were changed, and the they don't seem to have hardly worn that much, when I looked last week.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I confirm the sad story. 40.000 kms. but strange is discs and pads together. Normally are the discs! Increased wear is down to a few causes to this design. Was used to two sets of pads and no discs on other cars in 300.000 Kms.

·
Super Moderator
1,933 Posts
If the pad material is not matched to the discs, you will get one wearing the other at diferent rates. The 'hotter' the pads, the more wear on the discs. Cheap discs will wear more quickly, as do cheap pads. Driving style will also affect the wear. The Note is no mounting goat, so the clutch will wear out quicker, as will the brakes on mountainous driving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm about to replace the discs for the second time on my 2015 1.5 dci. As Sineu has said earlier, the job isn't too difficult; just take your time and make sure that you can do it safely. Discs and pads can be had online for less than £50 all in, so you can save a not insignificant bit of cash doing it yourself. Compared to previous vehicles I think the Note does get through disc brakes rather quicker than others I've had. And regarding resus1uk's recommendation for all season tyres, I can vouch for their worth. I'm not sure that I'm allowed to give the name of the tyres I have put on, lest I be accused of inappropriate advertising, but they were the ones that came top in the AutoExpress all season comparison test.

·
Super Moderator
1,933 Posts
I buy tyres all season tyres, as it I don't live in the Nordic countries. One set does me until they need replacing. Seasonal tyres are a fad in the UK, unless you drive a 4x4 .

Buy Brembo discs and pads. I will swear by them, when bought and used together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts