Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boo Hoo! My brand new Note is leaking. The footwell on drivers side is damp. It seems to be coming down from side of central console. I checked with a damp meter and it's damp under edge of plastic cover. I went through a number of large puddles in the torrential rain today. It's not coming from my wet feet as I suspected it might be leaking when I first got it as there were watermarks on the underside of the mat when I took it out to brush it. I told the garage then and they said it was probably soaking through from top of mat but to keep an eye on it
I know the water does go through the mat as I tested it, so I put a sheet of polythene under the mat and the water is under this.
I've got it booked in at the garage for Friday but has anyone got any ideas about where the problem might lie?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Windscreen leaking? The screen is glued in place, sometimes the primer wasn't applied properly and there is a water leak. This is a very very expensive fix, as the windscreen has to be removed and refitted to fix it properly, I think you can still buy tubes of magic sealer that have high hopes but don't work long term.

A drain blocked in the heater? There has to be somewhere for all that water that goes into the inlet to escape.
Also in The Olden Days air con units used to have a drain pipe to let the condensed water escape under the car. This generally resulted in calls to the AA because of a "fluid leak" so nowadays this drain doesn't appear, the condensed water lies in the air con, and soon makes it smell. Maybe it is this water?
A leaking heater matrix is another possibility, but the coolant has a distinctive smell.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
had this on mine there was a 1/8" gap in the seal at the top of the screen, it stunk my car out it as the drivers footwell fills up with water (theres 2" of foam below the carpets), the water runs down theA pillar and into the floor
take it back and get it sorted it involves stripping theseats and carpetsoutof the car and it takes a few days to dry it out properly and reseal the windscreen this is covered by warrenty if your not happy get intouch with nissan customer services !!!

touch wood mines sorted now one thing i will say is make sure the lock switch on the console works as thay managed to bust mine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your suggestions. Coolant levels are fine and the service manager had a quick look today so he could see where it is damp. He says unlikely from the a/c as it drains on the other side and he said others in the past have had wet front passenger footwells. No obvious gap round windscreen and leak not likely to be coming down pillar as it is definitely coming into footwell from side of central console.
Service manager said very unusual place in his experience. There are a couple of pipes that come into the car from the engine compartment at about the right place and the foam insulation around them was damp, but, as the manager said, that could just be from rain water coming down from where the wipers are.
He told me not to try a hose on the car before Friday as he'll get a couple of lads to take various bits off and do a check themselves. He's not ruling anything out at this stage but was pleased he could see where the water was appearing before it soaks down to the footwell
I'll let you know what they find - I just hope they do find the source as I know leaks anywhere can sometimes be tricky to locate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
leaks are real buggers to find, they usually involve spraying copious amounts of water at the car and making the problem worse before it gets better. hopefully they'll sort it out properly.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
In The Olden Days we used to dust the surfaces with talcum powder, then wait until it got wet again, and look for trails through the talc.

No doubt there is a much more expensive new fangled electronic way to do it nowadays

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer says they have now found the leak which was in an unusual place but where we suspected it might be. They did the usual hosepipe test with one man lying with his head in the footwell to spot where the water was coming from. They had taken away half the dash in order to make this simpler. At first no luck but when the hose was directed at the bulkhead where the two air conditioning pipes go into the car, water poured through. Apparently the foam seal that goes around the pipes was badly fitted and they have now sent off for some new parts. This might explain why the leak was intermittent and I think only occurred when I was driving through almost flooded roads - combination of water from above and below saturating the foam and getting past the gap in it.
Fingers crossed, this is the source of the leak - only time will tell. Chances are, once I get the car back it won't rain for months!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
lets hope so and at least you know it will be sorted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boo Hoo gain!Been away for a few weeks and only 2nd time drove my car in rain and wet and problem still not resolved!
Back to the dealers again - they are fine about things but I would really like a new replacement.
Might give them a chance to fix it again, as a gesture of goodwill but will definitely not accept it until I am sure its OK.
They said it was fit for purpose but I disagree - part of its purpose is to keep the driver dry but if I keep driving it in this rain my poor tootsies certainly won't be that! They are giving me a courtesy car until they and the main technician from Nissan itself can sort the problem out.
Will keep posted on developments

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the screens leak and nissan know about this fault too i know of 10-11 cars with the same problem

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Service manager says they have now found another leak - something to do with tube draining water from air conditioner. Last time I was told it would not be this as drain is on passenger side. Manager now saying not on Notes , at least the part he is referring to. He says the drain pipe and hole are fine - I think it's the part coming from the air con itself which does not meet the tube properly
How come it only seems to leak when lots of water on road? He said it might be because air more humid then and more production of water plus part of the problem with the faulty component is that water could come up and enter car from underneath due to gap in seal
They're going to put car back together once new part has been fitted and extensively water test as well
If this does not rectify the problem that would mean 3 leaks in a brand new car!
Fingers crossed it will be fine now

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi we have a 06 note with the same problem but it is not the screen or pipe but a welding joint on the inner wing that we have found it today due to lack of interest from the local nissan garage that keeps telling me it is the screen and not a design fault!!!! will be videoing it soon as took hours to find and will be listing on utube soon. Is Yours still leaking?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
yes think this is along the lines of the shock top mounts filling with water
if is a welded seam get it welded up and seal it with some panel seal

·
Registered
7 Posts
already done that not the shock tops its in the drain well of the bulk head where it drains down through the inner wing. nightmare to get at spotted with mini camera and can see it running inside the car right hand side of the excellorater peddle out of the seam

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Useful things those mini cameras, Aldi have them this week, but they are around £70.
I keep meaning to get one, but every time they are on offer, I don't have £70 spare. Maplin do one that records that they sell on offer for about the same price.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought about three from 7Dayshop...they were £13 each ealrier this year...they can take up to a 16gb mini sdhc

·
Registered
138 Posts
I should also have pointed out I bought a very similar one from Amazon marketplace for £25 that also has LED's around the camera lens that you can either use as a torch or light the area you are videoing.... also takes a micro SDHC to 16GB....very handy things indeed....last time of looking though on e-bay it seems they were only available direct from Hong Kong/China

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's right they don't have a screen.....and the files are in AVI 5 minute segments...but not a problem as you can select which you want to keep when downloading onto the PC, I took to recording my journeys in the car because some kind idiot pranged my car and swore it wasn't his fault...so after that the video/cam is on the windscreen all the time, should you exceed the 16GB which is just over 3 hours.,...it does record over the first files, I use one on my bike helmet too as you get so many cars almost push you off the roads...just another witness that's all, yes these were on 7dayshop as bike/car cams....a demo on youtube DVR D011 car camera if you want to look...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts