Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Idrive a Nissan Note 1.4 Petrol Acenta R, 2007 plate. The 1st breakdown was 2months ago, it was driving ok all day, then I parked the car around 2pm, late afternoon around 6pm came back to the car, would not start, the fuel gauge was at the red mark but no indication light came up. Top up the fuel just in case but still couldn't start. Called AA, computer did not trigger any problems. Pull out the fuel hose, no oil feeding into engine so made a conclusion fuel pump problem. Tow to local garage, they were busy so only manage to look at it after 3 days. They called me saying that there were no problem with the car, just start it and it worked. Strange! They advised me to keep on driving till the fault occurs again.<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 1.2em; outline: none; font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial;"><br style="line-height: 1.2em; outline: none;">
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 15.933333396911621px; outline: none; font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">Now, yesterday, while driving trying to find a parking space at the retail park, the car slowed and suddenly stalled. Try to start but wouldn't start. Called AA. While waiting for AA, try starting it again, it started but was shaking and press accelerator pedal but no response.AA came, said when put in the key and turn on the power, cannot hear sound of fuel pump engaging. Hence, fuel pump problem. Again? Is this true? Tow back to my home as no garage opens onSaturdaynight nor tomorrow. Not sure what should I be doing after this. Please advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
My pump works and I can't hear mine either, best way is to actually measure the pressure at the injector distribution rail, 3.5bar @ idle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But I do hear it last time. There were always a mechanical sound before ignition. Just as when you turn on the power. I do not hear it any more.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
i would look at the fuel pump relay in the ipdm, pumps in general dont fail but the filter may be clogged if it has bad fuel put in it and someone has run the tank dry, you can get at the pump from it inspection cap under the back seat
it could be a number of other things aswell

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks flash22, the fuel tank is half full so it may not be a clogging
problem. I have a strong feeling it might be the relay. So this is what I have
done so far in the past 4hours. I took out the back car seat off. Open the fuel
pump cap and disconnect the wire connecting to it. I can see there are 4 wires:
2 greens with silver stripes, black with silver stripes and brown. I assume
that 2 wires are for the fuel gauge and the other two would be the fuel pump.
The size differ a bit where one pair is slightly thicker (must be for the fuel
pump; green and black). I turn on the power and use a test pen to see is there
any power going through it or not. And yes the thin one has power flowing in it
but the thick one has no power flowing into it. So I can now conclude that the
fuel pump is ok! Next is the ipdm, it's kinda hard to get it out! Once I manage
to get it out, it looked so complicated and it took me sometime to get my head
around it. I manage to identify which fuse was for the fuel pump, took it out,
inspect it and was ok. So I reckon it must be the relay. This bit was tricky
coz I don't know which relay is for which? I can see that there are only 2
types, one with no.4 on it and another with X. Try swapping the 4's no
difference. Try swapping the X's, no difference. I have no idea now. I guess I
would need the workshop manual to figure out the electrical bits and bobs, so I
will buy one from ebay. I bet it might be just a wiring problem so need to know
which wire from the ipdm is actually feeding the fuel pump so I can send a
signal and make sure I receive it at the end. Any thoughts? Will I know which
relay is which once I get the workshop manual?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
the fuel pump uses a green wire and a black wire, the thicker ones, voltage to the pump motor is via the green from the relay then it is sent to ground via the black one. A voltage on the black one will not be detectable unless there is an earthing fault.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
fuel pump only energises for 1<7 seconds at switch on unless rotation of crankshaft is detected, if it is then pump ison continuously. Iffy crank sensor could possibly throw this error as well as a bad pump or connections to it including earth quality.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
yes crank or cam sensor breaking down under load/heat makes sence and it wont always log a fault code either

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think the pump is continuously on. The one which is continuously on was the thinner wires which was for the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
first i would check pump operation and pressure.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
when you first put the key inand turn the key till the lights comes onthe pump primes what takes 5-7 sec then there will be no power untill the engine is running, if there was a power supply issue the pump wouldnt prime and the engine wouldnt run at all as there would be no fuel pressure
the fuel pump relay is an intergrated part of the ipdm,

does the fault occure when the engine is hot/warm ? and if you let it cool it will restart ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to update everyone that I bought the manual and checked step by step according according to it. I have found out that the fuel pump is faulty! Power is flowing through it but it is just not kicking in. I don't have the tools to open the fuel pump. So I tow it to the closest garage and it cost me£412 including VAT. It is now up and running. Hopefully there will be no other problems after this. Thank you to everyone who helped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts