Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today is the day it has happened, on the way home from work at last the mpg showed above 40, only just, it is actually 40.1

Most of the driving is on dual carriageway using cruise control whenever possible (never had cruise control before..... nice isn't it?).

So how many mpg do you think it possible to get with a petrol manual1.4 N-tec+with about 600 miles on the clock?

Mr H

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Dunno as mine is a 1.6 auto.
Just popped over to my sister-in-law's in Chesham from west London and I got 52.2mpg showing which, from previous measurements (brim, drive, observe, brim) I know to be pretty accurate.

Had it not been for some heavy traffic on the A40 on the way back it would have been nearer 55mpg.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
i have hada massive 76.4 mpg for 5 miles once, i have seen 55 mpg on a 400 mile trip (59 plate 1.6 auto)
at 600 miles on the clock it isnt even run it yet, it wont start freeing up for another 9-10k miles then you may see better figures

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With Nigel B @ 52.2mpg and Flash22 @ 55mpg.....

I think I will put my celebrations on hold......

cheers
Mr H

·
Registered
453 Posts
At the moment I'm getting 62.5mpg on a full tank - 250 miles per week doing 70mphWhen the outside temp warms up I get 70mpg but doing 60mph
My car is now coming up to 40k

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just for info: filled up my 1.6 Manuel today, took 30.61ltrs of Tesco Momentum petrol @ £1.41.9 per litre =£43.44 and from the last fill, I drove 318 miles and averaged 47.23 mpg.

My overall mpg since I had the car last October is 45.41mpg

Currently I have 7721 miles on the clock.

I'm a happy bunny

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just done my second fill-up on my new diesel n-tec - just passed the 1000 mile mark.

497 miles on the tank, 8.41 gallons which is 59.0 mpg for a combi of about town (not a lot) and 'sunday' drives. That'll do for me Tommy
I've yet to do a major motorway run which should see even more.

Out of interest - my fuel warning light cam on at 50 miles left as I was swinging round a roundabout and stayed on (flashing). This morning on the way into town it dropped to 48 miles left then just displayed a row of dashes. Normal?

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 1.4 N Tec + has now done 2500 miles since having it new, I've been over the moon with the economy but it is flat country down here on the south coast, the very worst mine has done is 49 mpg with a return of normally 55mpg.... it was 62mpg in the hot weather we had last summer, as it's been said by another user.......driving with a heavy foot will drain that mpg very very much, there again you have to remove your digit to keep up with the traffic, I was used to a diesel before......until I was silly enough to buy a new diesel that had a DPF....(Destruction Programme Filter) that blew the engine before 9000 miles...Not a Nissan BTW...but it put me off buying a new diesel again...after many years of normal diesels this terminated mys use of them, and as I'm not doing such long runs as I used to it was wiser to choose petrol.

All in all I'm well pleased with the Note.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Petrol, Manual, 1.4 N-Tec+,

I have just filled up with 95 octane (again) and calculated318 miles 37.03 litres = 39.05mpg

Next fill I will try Tesco Momentum (likeDrawn4u)and see what difference it makes

I think I will have to drive as though I have a broken ankle!

But maybeMidasi1idea of a stronger spring on accelerator is less painful

Mr H
mainly driving canterbury-dover-canterbury-dover...... forever!

Edited by: Mr H

·
Registered
138 Posts
Or maybe you should try NOT using supermarket fuel........ my downfall with the diesel according to the local official dealer I used for the car I had that was diesel.....always told of the most problem cars were from owners that used supermarket fuel....which I have to admit I did with my diesel that blew up.....lucky for me in one way it was under warranty....but it was never the same after the repair...so it went and I bought the Note petrol version......

I know a lot of owners still use supermarket fuel and say they've had no problems......but I've never used theirs ever since, debates will go on forever and on the previous forum I was on for the other make of car I had, there were tanker drivers that told their stories of the differences when they collected their loads of fuel, it seems it all came down to additives.......you pays your money and you takes your choice......

No doubt the debate will rage on forever

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rebusYou are right..... the debate will go on

First fill was from a Total 97 octane = 39.2 mpgNext was Esso 95 octane = 39.04 mpg

Today was the first of the tesco 95 octane.... will be interesting to see if any difference.

Mr H
Do you think the tesco petrol will change the brake horsepower to brake cowpower

Edited by: Mr H

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Don't mince words!

I've found that a choice of tanks full of supermarket/local Esso or Shell regular unleaded/ premium unleaded make less than 1mpg difference. So it's Tesco's 'go-go juice' (to quote my son from many years ago) for my Note.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not exactly all down to getting better MPG......but to help the longevity of the engine.....though if you've got the money to spend on a new car regularly, then you're obviously not going to bother about what additives or not are in your fuel...had the DPF not blown my diesel ... I had the intention of keeping it and I had always used supermarket fuel.....which once again I will say the local main dealer stressed NOT to use it.....and they tell all their customers that.....and they don't sell fuel let me point out.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I put 124k on my Alhambra using, probably 95%, supermarketDiesel with absolutely no issues.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Did it have a DPF ???? that seems to be the burning question, I've run diesels for years with no problems at all ever......until I was silly enough to buy one with a DPF on....though now all isn't lost as there are companies removing them for you..... which says something !!!! my diesel blew up as I was just completing 150 miles of a 170 mile journey...lucky for me I was only 20 miles from home..... not even 9000 miles on the clock...the recovery service man told me of the very very many he has to tow in with the same problem...... so that made me decide it was back to petrol after all the years of running diesels

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
No it was pre-DPF but still was incredibly 'clean' by comparison with many more modern vehicles judging by the amount of soot and smoke I see billowing out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
As to what brand of fuel to use has always been a bit of an issue and even the big names can have problems! Back in the very late 80's 'Formula Shell' was causing havoc with some some Vauxhalls that I know of (burnt out valves) I'm sure they have improved now

1 - 20 of 22 Posts