What's the 1.6 Telkna auto like
for noise on motorways. I've had
a short test drive but couldn't go over
about 35. Anyone know please?
Roughcut

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Perfectly fine, did manchester to cranfield and back with a 45 minutestop before returning (309 miles) mostly M6,M1 and A50 not fatiguing at all with regard to noise or comfort.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Mine is fine at Motorway speeds too.

The speedo is so innacurate compared to a GPS that a true 70 is near enough 80 on the clock though, which makes it a little busier than I first thought.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have done the 224 mile trip from Manchester to Stranraer and back many times over the last four years in our Acenta R auto and found it very acceptable. As the auto is 1.6 there is no real engine effort even with a couple of suitcases in the boot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i agree with mnl, the speedo seems to be higher than the report given on my tom tom sat nav, when running at 70mph on the sat nav my Note shows im doing 78 ish, quite a big difference,

motorway driving is OK, my only discomfort is the throttle pedal position, it seems to be too high for me to get a comfy position... tends to give me an ache in my lower leg on longer journeys, would be nice if the full seat was height adjustable and not just the back of the seat,

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
As reported elsewhere to Richnote, speedo spot on at 30mph, @ true 50mph shows 53, @true 70 shows 76. this is inline withallowed errors so that you don't inadvertantly go over the speed limit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that everyone, I needed reassuring as I've already put a deposit on it. The Skoda I have now is about 8 % fast compared to the sat nav

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
only thing i would say a about the note on a motorway isit can catch the crosswinds due tothe shape
i have recently changed my tires to yokohamas c-drives andthay seem togive less road noiseat 50-70 mphthan the old conti's

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ahhh... tyre noise... my rubbers are Contis and coming to the end of their days and I find the ride a bit noisy, but in all other respects the car cruises well at 75mph and reports over 40mpg. Im hoping road noise at speed will be cut down a bit once I get some new rubbers on.... so the report about the Yoko's is interesting !

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi Well as you all already know im a bit of a speed freak and over 80 -85(100+ is ace)you dont notice the tyre noise atall, the only time its annoying is on the older sections of the A63 in to Hull where its concrete sections, but windows open wind in your hair(thats if you have any hahah) stereo on Dire Straits or queen playing and no worries

·
Registered
311 Posts
Another point (boring im sure to some ) is i regularily go all over the country side and cities Manchester Liecester, Stratford, London, Chorley, etc, I normally have the car full of people (teenagers) their costumes suitcases and stuff, as we trail all over to Cosplay events, complete with fake weapons and so on. I make use of all the storage spaces my Tekna auto has, especially the underfloor in the boot.Plus when i collect printers from all over Ive found 25-30 fit in well including me and a passenger, many times have i had a tandem in and passenger, a bunk bed and the best i remember was two archery targets all the equipment arrows bows etc and the legs for the targets and a passenger.
The owner of all this stuff had to hire a trailer as it wouldnt fit in his Discovery!!!!!, But it did in my Note!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
i had a 300l fish tank in the back of mine thats 4'6"x2'x2' roughly

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
and you didn't spill a drop?

thought i'd get one in before sneaky does

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think it could maybe use a 6th gear (the petrol engine, I think the diesel has one). Fuel economy goes into sharp decline as you go past (indicated) 70mph. And that's on the 1.6, which someone here once said had a slightly better gear ratio in 5th.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chz said:
I think it could maybe use a 6th gear (the petrol engine, I think the diesel has one). Fuel economy goes into sharp decline as you go past (indicated) 70mph. And that's on the 1.6, which someone here once said had a slightly better gear ratio in 5th.

I agree, 1.6 manual petrol really needs a 6th gear. We find it fine on the motorway at 60-70, then gets thrashy above 75 and is doing over 4000rpm at 80mph. If we keep it steady at 60-70 we'll then get 42-43mpg on a run. But it dips if we push it a bit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts