Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read this on a local radio station web site.

Vehicle owners to be granted MOT exemption in battle against coronavirus

Cars, motorcycles and vans to be granted MOT exemption
Vehicle owners will be granted a six-month exemption from MOT testing, enabling them to continue to travel to work where this absolutely cannot be done from home, or shop for necessities.
All cars, vans and motorcycles which usually would require an MOT test will be exempted from needing a test from 30 March. Vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition, and garages will remain open for essential repair work. Drivers can be prosecuted if driving unsafe vehicles.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said, "We must ensure those on the frontline of helping the nation combat COVID19 are able to do so.
"Allowing this temporary exemption from vehicle testing will enable vital services such as deliveries to continue, frontline workers to get to work, and people get essential food and medicine. Safety is key, which is why garages will remain open for essential repair work."
Legislation will be introduced on March 30 and will come into immediate effect for 12 months, following a short consultation with key organisations. Drivers will still need to get their vehicle tested until the new regulations come into place, if they need to use it.
If you can’t get an MOT that’s due because you’re in self-isolation, the Department for Transport is working with insurers and the police to ensure people aren’t unfairly penalised for things out of their control.
Practical driving tests and annual testing for lorries, buses and coaches have been suspended for up to three months.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Common sense and fair play, but they left it too late after the lockdown to decide and announce this for those of us who's MOT expires imminently. Had mine done on Thursday, booked in a week+ ago with a few days grace before it expired on 1st April.

No biggy I guess and at least I know I'm MOTd to 2021 & no mad rush to get sorted when all this is over.

I hope that in any of the inevitable collisions and sadly worse that the extended MOT vehicles are involved in,. Insurance companies don't try to use that to minimise payments if a cause was found to be an MOT fail that would otherwise have been picked up and rectified.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
My car was actually half way through its MOT when the announcement came through. If I hadn't have risked everybody's life mine included, going for MOT, I would have got the extension which would be great, as both cars are April, and I was going to move one of them to October in case something like this happens again.

They should have announced it when they did it for trucks, but I guess that was a different department and no-one is thinking straight.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I hope that in any of the inevitable collisions and sadly worse that the extended MOT vehicles are involved in,. Insurance companies don't try to use that to minimise payments if a cause was found to be an MOT fail that would otherwise have been picked up and rectified.
This is a good point. My car is mot'd till December, but if i was driving in a car that was out of mot, i would contact my insurer and ask for written reassurance of cover.
It wouldnt surprise me if they refused, after all if a car was driving around with dangerous brakes or tyres etc, how could a driver expect them to pay out if they were involved (god forbid) in a serious RTA..

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
An M.O.T only guarantees the health of any car on the day. But at least you know it should be in a good state, and safe.

People whinge and whine about the costs of an M.O.T., but what's the cost when it flies off the road when the brakes fail etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts