Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - I am new on here, trying to get some technical advice on my Dad's Note (10 plate 1.4 NTec) which he has just had serviced and it's 1st MOT.When he had it serviced, he asked the dealer to investigate a knocking on the steering when turning the wheel when stationary. They found a problem with the o/s/f drop link & supplied and fitted the new part under warranty. All good, or so I thought....
They then issued the MOT certificate which contained the following advisory: "offside front (droplink) anti-roll bar has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)"
I understand the drop link and the anti roll bar are 2 separate components, however, I am struggling to understand where the ball joint is that would have the play in it.
I have trawled t'interweb but I still can't seem to get my head around it... maybe the info is just too wordy and complicated for a mere simpleton like myself so if anyone can either explain in very simple terms or point me in the direction of a very simple diagram, I would be really grateful. At the moment, I can't get past thinking the dealer is seeing my elderly Dad as a potential money generator and this will just be the tip of the MOT advisory/failure iceberg. They are also pushing him to take out one of their service plans and as he is reluctant to bomb the dealer out go to an independent garage for the future servicing and MOT's I fear he may end up selling his soul (and his pension!) to the local dealer for the rest of the cars life. Any advice you can give me would be very very much appreciated.
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

This thread http://www.noteownersclub.co.uk/forum/part-identification_topic1246_post9365.html?KW=roll+bar#9365 has an exploded diagram and should help you identify the part.

If your dad has a good independent garage locally that he is happy with then use them

Have to add that my wife's old Peugeot had an 'advisory' on 'slight play' on a ball joint for four years before we sold it. Spoke to the tester who said that it had slight play but wasn't in any need of replacement but 'not in need of replacement' wasn't something that they could record.Edited by: Nigel B

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Nigel - sorry to be such a thicko, but can you help mepinpoint the ball joint? I can see the droplink and the antiroll bar, but not sure what I'm looking for as regards the ball joint. I bet you wish you'd never replied to me!!
Dad only drives about 4000 miles a year so it was comforting to hear it could be an advisory for several years until it actually needs replacing.
Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
No worries. It's probably the bush that looks like a ball joint at the end of part 10 that goes into the bottom of part 6. The diagram is a bit clearer on page 2 of that thread.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Its the complete droplink an it has 2 ball joints 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom these are a common mot fail/advisory
the drop link is £60 odd quid from the main stealer or £18-30 quid from gfs/ecp

Andit looks like this

Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
from your post the drop link has already been replaced, could be the MOT was done before the service just in case it raised anty concerns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys...I'vefoundwhere theball joint is onthe diagram & I'm happier now that I've established it is completely separate from the drop link, which was indeedreplaced whenthe carwas serviced. I was suspicious of the advisory only because the mot tester had mentioned droplink and anti roll bar together & I wondered why on earth they were issuing an advisory on a brand new component.
You have all been really helpful... look out for the next load of ridiculous questions from Horsemanskid!!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
No worries, ask away.

We only send a bill when you could have found the answer in the FAQs or 'How To'

Edited by: Nigel B

1 - 8 of 8 Posts