Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
What is the easiest way of calculating a car mileage ?
I own 2009 Note automatic-petrol-how much is meant to give?
I mainly do motorway driving
Cheers,
Niki
Edited by: Niki1108

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Brim the tank
Zero the trip
Drive a large distance eg 210 miles
Brim the tank (at the same pump on the same side facing the same way)
See how many litres went in eg 30

divide the miles by the litres 210/30 = 7 miles per litre

Multiply by 4.546 (litres in a gallon) 7x4.546=31.8 mpg

Compare with the 37.6 that the computer says.

Then remember that the milometer is miles out (mine thinks 28 actual miles is 29)
so correct for this 31.8 x 28/29 =30.7mpg.

If you keep it at 2800rpm, you should see the better side of 40mpg

Edited by: mnl

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use fuelly.com

I reset the trip meter every time to zero, so I can see how many miles I do between each fill up. Enter all details on fuelly.com (i.e. distance (eg 178 miles); fuel purchased (eg 32 litres); price (eg 1.329 pounds per litre) and it calculates it all for you.

here's mine over 7700 miles:

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 1.6 auto is so economical for a petrol auto I never bother calculating the m.p.g.
I've seen 50 mpg on the meter at times and that's good enough for me.
It's the depreciation cost that you want to worry about.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did a comparison: trip computer verus actual mileage and fuel filled. The trip computer is off by at least 5% and errs on the side of optimism. I got 6.3 L/100km actual compared to 6.0 on the trip computer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In that case I can forgive such a nice car a little thirst. I try not to obsess about the running costs but I have noticed that tyre life and replacement cost is 'on the wrong side of the fence'.
Incidentally, does any one know how to change the auto fluid? I fancy that a mid life change of fluid would work wonders for drive train life.

Edited by: oughtredp

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Just warm the fluid up, drain it out, replace bung, let the fluid cool, measure how much came out and add the exact same amount of fluid less 100ml (NISSAN ATF Matic D I think this is a dexron III, but it might not be, I know that Toyota use a proprietary synthetic fluid that costs £10 a litre).

Then check the level, and hopefully you only need add the 100ml you kept short.

If you want to invite trouble, you can drop the transmission oil pan, and remove and clean the "filter" which is a simple gauze strainer. Replace with new gaskets.

Nissan reckon the fluid only needs "inspecting" every year, and will last over 120,000 km (as Clarkson says, that is nearly 500 miles
)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just thought I'd post a quick MPG update.

Having done 1700 miles over the last couple of weeks, comprising a mixture of Devon lanes, A-roads and motorways (which themselves comprised a mixture of 'fast-M25' [
] and 'car-park-M25' [
] type driving), I've just calculated my overall MPG as 39.4, which I'm quite happy with for my 1.6 Auto.

EDIT: I should also add that for much of the time the car was 'stuffed to the gills' with 2 adults, a large dog and plenty of luggage

George

Edited by: GeorgeP56

1 - 8 of 8 Posts