Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, i am new to the forum, and thanks for letting me join.
I have a Nissan Note 2008,1.4 petrol, with 70k on the clock. I have owned it for over 8 years, with no engine issues whatsoever, and serviced regularly. I went to start it this morning, it fired then stopped. I cranked it over again and it sounded like no compression. I have a code reader, and it showed "No fault found".

I did a compression check on it and the results were around 50psi. I had an MOT on it last Monday, and no issues with emissions, so therefore i am ruling out rings or valves at the moment.

I am wondering whether it has jumped a tooth on the timing chain, and why?? And also if it has hydraulic tappets and no oil feed because a pressure relief valve stuck open, thus not allowing the valves to open to allow air in to be compressed.
As far as i can see, there is no IVT on it.....

Thanks in advance. Any thoughts appreciated.

MIke

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Welcome.

I can't help much, I doubt if anyone has had an engine apart here, as the Nissan engines are the best part of the car.

It is VVT, there is a phaser unit inside the inlet cam pulley, that works off oil pressure (controlled by a solenoid valve, there is a position sensor on the free end of the cam to regulate haow far the VVT alters the timing), if it had failed I'd have thought there would be an error from the cam sensor vs the crank sensor timing.

The timing chain is rather long, and there are 2 long guides that could have broken and lost tension I suppose.

The tappets are solid as far as I know, the cam lobes press straight onto the valves with the tappet to adjust clearance.

Could the exhaust or inlet be blocked- the throttle jammed shut or the catalyst completely collapsed, or someone jammed something on the exhaust pipe? (I don't know if a blocked exhaust would even give low compression)

If it isn't obvious, you will have to get a manual and take the cam cover off to see what is happening with the timing, and check everything is in the right place.

EDIT: if you did the compression test with the air box off to get at the 'plugs, there won't be any restriction in the inlet as the throttle is removed with the airbox.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I spoke to the main dealer, and he explained where there were 2....solenoid if it had VVT they were fitted.....i cannot see any....and also as you stated that it should show up on the faults. Please can you tell me where these solenoids should be? I have downloaded the manual and am still looking through it.
Many thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Page EM-37. it is next to the oil filler cap, under the airbox,
Page EM-41 onwards talks about checking cam timing

Attachments

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Do you do your own DIY? If it's not those solenoids, it could become expensive, if it's an engine out job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I do my own DIY. I cannot see any solenoid at the location mentioned here or that dealer mechanic mentioned. He said it was on the change of have or have not...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mnl Page EM-37. it is next to the oil filler cap, under the airbox,

Thanks. Found it now, I did not really look in the right place, or what shape thing i was looking for....was looking towards the sides of the rocker cover from the front wheel as dealer mechanic said over the phone. And he said there was 2 of them?? At least now i know there is one for definite....
Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE.....Ok. By now i had no alternative but to remove the rocker cover, and check the timing chain and timing.....these were spot on. Tappet check.....hoping that there would be some tight tappets holding the valves open....these were again spot on.

Right, time to remove the head....hoping that through my experience, i would see some burnt out chunks on the valves...Again these were intact.

I tipped the head on it's side, and poured diesel into the exhaust ports. Number 3 was leaking quite badly! 1, 2 and 4 were leaking, but slightly. This was consistent with 3 being the lowest compresion.
I done the same with the inlet side.....slight leakage on all, but not much....16 valves leaking slightly, adds up i suppose!!

Removed all the valves and lapped them in. The seats were only slightly dark on the inlets, and only slight pitting on the exhausts. Rebuilt with new valve stem seals that were in the kit, replaced head,etc....Car now running like a watch. (touch wood).

It was running like a watch the day before it would not start though?? I still cannot fathom out why it passed the emmission test on an MOT the week previously, and did not miss a beat in the last 9 years or so since i have owned it when i purchased with 24,000 miles on the clock, been serviced regularly with quality oil and filter, and now only has 70,000 on the clock. Beats me!

Let's hope it does another 70,000.......

Mike

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Could the problem be the quality of the fuel you use. Sounds like unleaded petrol being used in an old leaded petrol using engine.

Or it could be too much of a lean burning engine.

//

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
99% of the time it is from the local tesco, and never from an "unbranded " petrol station. I assume that the mixture is set to factory settings.....??

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
There has been an ongoing discussion regarding supermarket fuel on this web site. The general agreement is that this fuel is not all it's cracked up to be.
I think, most prefer petrol from a branded fuel, such as Esso, BP, Texaco and Shell. etc.

You always pay for what you get....it's not cheap for a reason.:unsure:

·
Registered
665 Posts
All supermarket fuel should be up to a certain spec, but just like engine oil, top brands generally will exceed the minimum specification.
Try telling that to some members... Lol.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
From my own personal experience, although I run a diesel Note, I bought some diesel from a company called Applegreen. Whatever their blurb is, in my honest opinion it was rubbish. It made my engine clatter like a tin box of bolts. Good job I only put 10 litres in......I immediately drove to Esso and filled up. Not clattering bolts in a tin box, once I did that.
For the sake of about 3p a litre more.......stuff the cheapies. I can afford about £1.20 per tankful of decent stuff. (If my maths are correct).!
//

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yes Boysie, If you put Esso or texaco in your motor you'll (up till now) have peace of mind.
Shell had a few blips with it's v power if i remember rightly.
Any weird names like sunflower or cactus are a quick drive past in the jymmer household.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I'm still putting in a dose of 'Redex one shot'......and running as sweet as a nut. (y)

Which reminds me, I'll think I'll have a G & T.......Christmas left overs.:LOL:(y)

//

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will see which branded ones are around here.....quite a few stations, i think Texaco probably and Murco i have noticed mainly.....Texaco it is then. Fingers crossed!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts