Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
What is there not to understand???

Why should I suffer from a devaluation of the vehicle (it already has the reported accident on it, now it's written off too), no matter how small, and the process of getting it checked just because the garage and insurance tried to con me? I'm already suffering the aftermath of the accident itself and the increased premiums!
Because even if you pay out £1500 to fix it, and £500 for the salvage you are still £2300 up, and so you could afford to devalue the car by £2300 and you are where you started. I'd likely fix that with a bit of hammering and pulling, then just put a bumper + grille on it and drive it around with £3500 in my pocket to spend on sweets and toys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
And who will insure it? I read online that many companies don't insure Cat cars easily. How about the procedure of checking the vehicle afterwards? Surely it must be inspected by someone if it's not "roadworthy"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The situation is that I'm currently disputing their evaluation as a write off

The market value is 4300£. Their garage repair estimate is 3700£. My local garage is 2400£. They've said both options are total loss yet they won't tell me why!!! They won't tell me the repair to value ratio, I asked for the engineer's report and they've been telling me about the stupid quote, I will eventually have access to their photos (that's something), they won't discuss other options like cash in lieu or contract repair because it's a total loss ( what kind of BS is this??? How is it a total loss if they agree to pay certain things less than the value?) and I'm currently in a hostage situation with a car that runs and can't repair and use! I told them they cannot write off the car unless the matter is resolved and they've told me no we can because we have to show due care to the state of the car, something like that.

I made a list of things that the garage shouldn't even touch and sent it to them with a list of the photos I took. It's a xomplain now so I don't know how long it will take to be resolved.

Why are things so difficult? Why???
I'm thinking of getting legal advice. I need my car now not in 4 weeks time. I can't drive it in the meantime. What can I do? Just jump the gun and buy another? I have the funds but I don't want to do it just because they are dragging their feet. They were so quick to write it off yet anything else takes ages

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
My policy says

If you make a claim for loss or damage to your car, provided it is economical to do so, we will only pay the cost of replacing parts needed for your car to meet the manufacturers specification

So according to this, they should be in breach of contract! The car value is 4300. The repairs 3700. Isn't repairing it more economical? I thought about the courtesy car thing but that's provided by the garage therefore it is already included in the bill.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Cost of replacing parts, not cost of replacement parts. The cost of replacing the parts is the cost of parts and the labour.

And even if that was the case as you say, they should compare the value of the car with the cost of parts and charge me with the labour, which would balance the case more towards repairing it.

In any case, I think this is a clause to prevent claims against aftermarket additions that are not provided by the manufacturer. Things like fancy wheels or custom leather seats.

The one I'm confused with is the "economical repair". I know what everyone says that they take an arbitrary percentage of the car value and compare it against the repairs to account for courtesy car etc, but they don't specify anywhere what "economical" means, they haven't given me any number and the courtesy car is included in the repair quote so that shouldn't count. In terms of contractual agreement it makes no sense.

The matter seems to have stuck for now as it escalated to the complaint department. I'm thinking to find a no win no fee solicitor who might be interested in this case.

At this point I'm tempted to buy a car and worst case I'm left to deal with a write off. Best case I have a new car and a repaired one.

·
Registered
649 Posts
When the insurance underwriter assesses the car he or she will take into account the cost of new replacement parts not used ones.If the costs are near to or greater than the car's value then they will deem it uneconomical to repair.You have to remember that the car's value is as it stands today and not what you paid for it.
I have known instances where a car was "bought back" by the owner and repaired ,not sure if insurance companies still allow this practice though.but the inspection cost is very expensive, it's basically an IVA test given to things like kit cars.
On the point of no win no fee, i doubt a solicitor would agree that you had a case, i may be wrong but ...
Also you have to think that IF you did repair the car and you were driving down the motorway and heard strange noises that had not been there before, would you truly feel safe in the car, or would you prefer the peace of mind that you would get from having a car that was never damage repaired ?
I know where i sit on that one.

·
Registered
695 Posts
There are some hippy types that would be happy on route 66 driving a 50 year old camper van with no licence, no mot, and no insurance with bald tyres, (the confidence of ignorance).
Then there is the hard liners where everything is by the book.
Then there are many drivers in the middle who would scrutinise and weigh up the risks.. Albeit abiding by the law hopefully.
It's down to your own choice where you sit.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
You got that right AgentCain, we're taxed to the hilt here !
We actually pay a far lower proportion of our income in tax than virtually every other country in northern Europe (I never include southern Europe in comparatives as they never seem to pay any tax which is why their economies are tanking).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Really?
I come from Greece. Granted the tax avoidance is there, middle and low class cannot easily avoid VAT and income tax. The economy is tanking because taxes were and are misused.

That's why all the fuss about saving the car. In Greece you would never find cars so cheaply and even in the worst cases car are repaired, far more worse than in mine. Properly repaired, not with a hammer and chain mind you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Why do you live in houses that were build since the 1800s? And were repaired over and over again?
One good reason could be the simple fact that houses are not expected to do 70 mph on a busy motorway and provide excellent crash protection for their occupants.

Comparing a house to a car is a pointless comparison.

·
Registered
695 Posts
That is an amusing analogy... I let the reference to repairing houses go, but did raise the eyebrows at Agent Cains reasoning.
He would have been better to just admit he's determined to keep his biffed motor despite the insurers verdict.
Also he might not drive into the rear of other people's cars in future to save himself the grief.
It's that fiery blood.
(sorry Agent Cain)
Mrs Jymmer is half Greek.
I love her to bits, but i wouldn't DARE cross her..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
All of a sudden you became a forensic accident engineer?
Lets be realistic, the frame is indeed affected at that point but hardly anywhere else. If you want to believe that any time of dent will irreversibly compromise the safety of the vehicle, who am I to say otherwise.

No I am not convinced to keep it, I just don't want to be conned. They are not writing off because its unsafe, they are writing it off because its uneconomical to repair according to one estimate of a garage which doesn't seem as professional as it should be. You may want to convince yourself otherwise, but the mechanic said the car is REPAIRABLE and will be SAFE. The insurer is no expert here, the engineer provided the verdict of unroadworthy, and I don't even know who he is, what's his experience. He might have been a trainee for all I know. If one thing is true in engineering is that everything is open for scrutiny. Yes you are correct, in most cases if the structure is affected, the behaviour changes but it all comes down to evaluation of how serious this is. Putting a blanket stance to every situation is not constructive.

And for your information, the accident was low speed (less than 20mph) and a result of a bad road design and the other driver's driving. Once more though, the insurance reached the conclusion that its 100% my fault, even before looking at the video evidence. As for the other car, it was hardly affected and even if it was taken away for repairs,he won't be missing it as the company would give him another straight away. I am the one left fighting with my insurance and their pathetic resolution approaches. Its been 2 weeks now I can't use the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
One good reason could be the simple fact that houses are not expected to do 70 mph on a busy motorway and provide excellent crash protection for their occupants.

Comparing a house to a car is a pointless comparison.
And yet you spend at least 1/3 of your day inside one. Its a good thing the UK doesn't suffer from earthquakes. There is no seatbelt or airbag in the bedroom.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Agent Cain, apologies to you because i shouldn't really take the piss.
But I'm afraid it's common practice here to blame a driver that rear ends you.
You continentals drive like your trousers are on fire generally.
You'll hate me, but i like you still.
Just drive with a good space in front in future pal.
I feel more sorry for the poor fecker you drove into lol.
You are lucky you had full comprehensive insurance and that they are a good company, cos i wouldn't have paid you anything in those circumstances I'm afraid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
There was plenty of space between us. He was moving and the decided to suddenly stop. His foot was on the stop whilst moving, yet he froze at the last meter. It was just enough to cause damage to my car and the fact the foam was missing didn't help one bit. As for the other driver you shouldn't feel sorry as the car was allocated to him by his company (same company I work for too) and even if it was taken away for repairs, he would have another one the same instant. He was also clearly not used to UK roads and that's how we crashed before entering a roundabout.

I suppose in this case the car is not safe either and should be scrapped eh?

41 - 60 of 71 Posts