Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I had an accident about a month ago, rear-ended another car at <20mph. I filed a claim with my insurance, took the car in for repairs after a week (whilst driving in every day on the motorway), another week passed only for the insurance to want to write it off as uneconomical to repair. Their evaluation is £4300, the cost from their garage was £3700. I believe the garage inflated the bill, as a lot of things are listed for replacement that are not related to the accident, things like the alternator belt, the expansion tank etc. They also deemed the car unroadworthy, which means Im now left without a car and today I had to tow it back to my parking lot, as they won't allow me to drive it around to get other quotes.

Here are some pictures

The reason for declaring the car unroadworthy was "bent chassis legs". On the quote they wrote REPAIR L/F SIDE MEMBER END, REPAIR R/F SIDE MEMBER END. Surely if it is just the ends, then that shouldn't make it unroadworthy, right? They also want to replace the upper and lower front crossmember, which Im not sure why it would be affected. I haven't seen any engineer's report yet from them.

Its a Note Premium, diesel, 2014, 67000 miles. Its not that Im attached to the car but I think they are wrongly writing it off when it is clearly repairable and the garage has inflated the quote.

I've sought advice in other forums and many told me to write it off, cash in and buy another car. I plan to find an engineer to advise me on its roadworthiness. The only relevant information I could find was on the MOT manual saying:

A main load-bearing structural member:

(i) fractured or deformed such that structural rigidity is significantly reduced
(ii) fractured or deformed such that steering or braking is likely to be adversely affected.
What do you advise fellow Note enthusiasts?
Sorry if this is not the right place to ask

·
Registered
649 Posts
If either of the front "legs" are deformed then the cost to replace would probably be more than the car is worth, especially when you add in all the other damage done to the car.
I would go with what the other people have advised and have it written off and go buy something else.
If a repair cost is greater than the market value of a car then the insurance company wont pay for it and will always write the vehicle off.
Given that the "legs" have suffered damage then i would also concur with the advice that the car is not roadworthy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They wouldn't replace the legs. According to the quote, they would straighten the ends and then replace the mounts and the bar.
If I were to source replacement parts for bumper, bar, grille which are broken beyond repair, that would cost me £440 on used parts from ebay. I'll put in another 1000£ for straightening the above. That's why I believe it is not appropriate to write it off. In any case though, their repair quote is not larger than the value. In fact, repair+salvage < value.

About the roadworthiness, is there a guide I could refer to or is it your personal/professional advice?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the VOSA Categorization of Defects from the UK gov portal that says

Description of defect
Chassis main member/ body structure/
cross member/ outrigger severely
corroded/ seriously deformed/
fractured/ displaced/ insecure/ missing

severity of defect
Likely to affect control of the vehicle, safe
carriage of load or detachment of
component imminent

Only this guarantees immediate prohibition of the vehicle. Anything less is an advisory defect. From the quote and looking at the damage I can't see how it will affect the control, the carriage of load or any component detachment.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I guess it's just small money to the insurers with no risk of comebacks.
The salvage company will be likely to sell it on, and the car will be up for sale in a low end car outlet having been patched up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I believe so too. If it was a Porsche or Jaguar with more than 15K value, they wouldn't do that. At the same approved garage I saw a Jag having the back panel smashed in, the wheel hanging inwards and a broken rear axel. What I can do now is send pictures around asking for quotes in the hopes that the insurance agrees to it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It will be interesting to see what a good body shop would charge.
The insurers will not want to have any of it... (computer says no)
Keep us posted with progress mate.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
What will the settlement be if you keep the salvage? If you reckon £1500 will fix it, and the salvage is £500, you will be left with£2300 cash and still have the car (which will be worth less, but think of it as releasing trapped equity, and if you keep it another 10 years it wont make any difference to what you can sell it for)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Their offer, the only they provided up to this point and since a week ago, is value of the car £4300, salvage £515 and £3700 repair
Im not sure to keep the car 10 years. I live in Bristol city centre and the diesel ban next year might be a reason to change. I say might, because we still don't know what will happen.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My nephew skidded on black ice on a roundabout.
Damage was front wheel cracked,rear wheel bent slightly. Front upper wishbone snapped,lower track control arm broken, front wing buckled, front light lens smashed.
The insurance wrote it off as too costly to repair, cost would have been £4000, car was a BMW M3 worth over £12000.
Go do the maths, that didn't add up but it was still scrapped.
Take the money and run to a dealer,especially if the diesel ban comes in where you live.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't want to be forced to take the decision about diesel vs petrol now, as at some point the decision can be either way either establish the ban or exempt the residents. We still don't know anything. Should the accident never happened or the car repaired, I would have to take that decision in a year, when the situation would be clear. The car can clearly service me for a year even in its current condition.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I think it would be unwise to drive the car with the damage done to it.
You could be charged with driving an unroadworthy vehicle and be given a big fine.
I honestly cannot see why you are on the fence about this.
If it were me then i would accept the decision of the insurance underwriter, take the payment offered and go buy something else.
After all it's only metal and plastic and will have to be replaced eventually either because it falls to bits or, as in your case, gets written off because of accident damage.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'd be tempted to keep the salvage and get my local indie to patch it up.
It would sell easily to a buyer outside of the city...at an appropriate price.
It would carry a cat S on the log book, but you can show buyers the photos.
I live just north of Bristol and i always get the train in.
(summertime is nice, off at temple meads and onto the water taxi)
I know work mates who are facing the same concerns with their diesel cars who live there.
If you don't want the bovver of getting the car repaired I'd bet someone else will...
And i wouldn't be surprised at all if the BMW M3 that Sineu mentions isn't back on the road now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it would be unwise to drive the car with the damage done to it.
You could be charged with driving an unroadworthy vehicle and be given a big fine.
I honestly cannot see why you are on the fence about this.
If it were me then i would accept the decision of the insurance underwriter, take the payment offered and go buy something else.
After all it's only metal and plastic and will have to be replaced eventually either because it falls to bits or, as in your case, gets written off because of accident damage.
Im not going to drive it as long as they won't allow me to.
However, this is down to anyone's interpretation. To this point I have NOT seen any report as to WHY it is unroadworthy. The only official documentation I've seen is the VOSA and according to MY interpretation the car is fine to travel. Sure its not as safe now but at least I could take it to the garages. I may not be a qualified engineer but I am an engineer nontheless and I have doubts about the other engineer who deemed the car not roadworthy as he doesn't appear anywhere. Why is it so much of a surprise that I want to see proper justification for something that has been causing me much pressure and restriction?
Again, is there a way to argue my corner or not? Because I haven't seen anything properly regulated about roadworthiness.

Yes all cars are metal and plastics. Houses are bricks and wood. Why do you keep patching them up? My dad's car is a 20 year old car. It has seen a couple of crashes and always repaired yet never written off. The difference? Its not a car in the UK.

I'd be tempted to keep the salvage and get my local indie to patch it up.
It would sell easily to a buyer outside of the city...at an appropriate price.
It would carry a cat S on the log book, but you can show buyers the photos.
I live just north of Bristol and i always get the train in.
(summertime is nice, off at temple meads and onto the water taxi)
I know work mates who are facing the same concerns with their diesel cars who live there.
If you don't want the bovver of getting the car repaired I'd bet someone else will...
And i wouldn't be surprised at all if the BMW M3 that Sineu mentions isn't back on the road now.
I want to avoid the write off. Not just because of the value of the car but also because of insurers not accepting cat S cars (or so Im told).And its not a write off because the car is not safe, that is BS, its a write off because the insurance seeks to obtain the highest profit margin.
If it comes down to this, I will probably keep the salvage and even push it to another salvage yard, purely out of spite against my insurance. The valuation of the car is pure BS. Giving me the market value does not put me back into the same situation as previously, as all sellers ask more than that because they want profit. So I will be profit+excess out of pocket. And what is the benefit? A car which I don't know at the same theoretical condition as my previous car. And then you are tempted to change the car, and search around, and try, and decide, and then you are excess+profit+upgrade out of pocket. Not a monetary issue of course, purely a mental one.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If you are not definitely keeping it, take the money and put it towards an EV or a Euro 6 petrol. You can't force the insurer to repair it, their only obligation is to supposedly return you to the same financial position that you were in before the crash- you had an asset worth £4300, they give you £4300 and possibly the bus fare home from the original crash.
If you keep the salvage, it will be CAT S and likely worth 50-70% of its pre-write off value.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No I can't force them but I want to prove them wrong, mainly via the fact that their garage made a wrong judgement and evaluation.

EV is NOT an option. Bristol doesn't have any serious infrastructure and I don't have any charging points where I live nor I can install any. A Euro 6 petrol is a choice but I don't know how that helps anything. Consumption? Don't get me into the environmentally friendly discussion, I have no interest in this currently

·
Registered
649 Posts
And i wouldn't be surprised at all if the BMW M3 that Sineu mentions isn't back on the road now
Nope ! Afraid you got that one wrong Jymmer.
My nephew got an official notification that the car was scrapped from the breaker that took the car and also one from the DVLA.
Lets face it, would ANYONE on this forum buy a car and drive it, possibly risking their life and the lives of passengers, that they knew had been written off ?
I know i would give such a car a VERY wide berth.
Like i said before - take the money and run !

·
Registered
695 Posts
Nope ! Afraid you got that one wrong Jymmer.
My nephew got an official notification that the car was scrapped from the breaker that took the car and also one from the DVLA.
Lets face it, would ANYONE on this forum buy a car and drive it, possibly risking their life and the lives of passengers, that they knew had been written off ?
I know i would give such a car a VERY wide berth.
Like i said before - take the money and run !
Ok Sineu, but it does go on nonetheless!
I wouldn't drive a cut n shut motor, but if you look at Agent Smiths Note, you can see it's just a piffle repair. Fixed properly by a good garage I'd be quite happy to buy it for 70% market value.... Come to that I'd like to get my hands on the M3 lol.

·
Registered
649 Posts
It does go on i agree but i'm of the opinion that written off cars should NEVER be allowed to be repaired and put back on the road.
Agent Smiths Note clearly has deformed front "legs" which are part of the chassis,they are there for front end strength,once they are deformed they should be replaced completely ( if allowed ) and not have just the damage cut out and another bit welded in.The "shockwave" fron the collision could have have an effect on other parts of the frame and chassis that would not be seen by the untrained eye.The damage related costs will also factor in the cost of labour to do the repairs, that cost plus the cost of parts = too high a price for the net worth of the car = car written off.
Honestly, i don't see the point of banging a drum for no reason, just accept the decision,take the payout,say goodbye to the car and get something else.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts