Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am currently looking to buy a new (to me) car. Having owned a Nissan Primera for the last 8+ years , Nissan was the first manufacturer I checked out on Autotrader.Going through all the models I came across the Note, a car I had never heard of before but now can't stop seeing everywhere
.Reading the reviews of the car there seems to be a lot of problems with the car.Is that more a case of those with a problem being the ones who shout the loudest?Or are there serious concerns over this model?I understand the engine is in fact a Renault?
I have approx £4K to spend on a private sale,maybe a couple of hundred more,maybe a bit more at a dealers.
The strange thing seems to be that even dealers seem to be selling them rather cheaply.When I do a valuation on the WhatCar website, it is sometimes nearly £1000 over what the dealer is actually charging.That cannot be right surely?
If I am looking at a 2007-8 model, is there anything I need to look out for in particular?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, is there space in the back for 3 adults?This wouldn't be a full time thing, in fact its pretty rare and usually involving a quick trip across town.Would it be a bit of a squeeze?I will be going and taking a look at some in the metal on Monday.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi diesel is renault petrol is pure Nissan camchain heaven with a long life if serviced well. More than enough space in the back for 3 unless from America. 08 models up north are around the 5.6k with low mileage. As with any manufacturer second user cars need to be looked at carefully from service point of view and condition, if poor condition internally and externally then owner probably didn't look after it, there are plenty of ex mobility Note's around that are great buys.

regards

dave s

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the note is on the NISSAN B platform the diesel is a renault engine and are very strongthe 1.4 and 1.6 are nissan units and have been used in one form and another for years. the note is better put together imho than any bit of french tat
most car manufactures use other makers parts ie. vauxhall diesels are infact a peugeot/citroen engines

like any car it has its faults

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Notes are good value, and there are so many to choose from, especially ex-mobility ones that have been driven gently with low mileage. People are finally waking up to them now...when I got mine they were a rare sight but in the last 18 months or so they are an increasingly popular choice for young families and as a second car. The evidence is in the way our ranks are growing on this forum!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Auto boxes are probably the best of their type, I researched this model before buying, for almost a year, the box is a robust true auto made by a japanese company called JATWAN.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I looked at the Modus but found the engine bay access restrictive and there's a lot less space inside and the build quality was poor compared to the Note. The deal you've seen does look good but don't forget you need to see it as exterior and interior condition could account for the price and not just that business is slow. Plenty around so look at as many as you reasonbly can before buying and of course do drive one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Test rode a Note today, was a 2008 model 1.6 Tekna.Really nice, I hadnt really seen one close up before,but since thinking about getting one have seen a few driven about.Was worried about the size of the vehicle.I had read about poor shoulder room in the front and how you were almost rubbing shoulders with the passenger.I thought it felt quite spacious.As I was walking into the showroom I saw a woman taking her kid out of a Note (courtesy car) and getting into her Quashqai(sp), I aksed what she thought of it.She said she was very impressed, thought it was as roomy as her quashqai , if not more so.Salesman showed me a 58 plate facelift model,Tekna with SatNav in Cafe Latte,23K miles, was very nice apart from a few scuffs to bumper and front wheels.He reckoned he could get the bumper painted for me if I agreed to buy it @£7,500.Having never bought from a dealer before, is that something they would do? Or is that just sales talk to get a deposit out of me?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
dealer will prep a car but make sure you get it in writing !!! not problem with the note at 6'2" and broad shoulderd only thing i do is bash me head on the boot lid when getting stuff out the boot if in a hurry lol

if its a nissan dealer you should get a years warrenty and if there a good dealers a years rac cover too

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes,was a Nissan dealer.There was a bit of a squeal from ,I am guessing, the fanbelt .Salesman put that down to the engine being washed (The car hadnt been in long ,was covered in polish,about to be valeted, shown engine bay and it was wet) .I may go back and have another look tomorrow and see if he is prepared to put it in writing re the bumper,and also take it out for a spin.The thought of a Nissan warranty does sound good.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
check values on autotrader and Honestjohn's site and compare like for like, then use that info to negotiate with salesman. New plate time soon so values drop for the older ones.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
saldawop said:
Yes,was a Nissan dealer.There was a bit of a squeal from ,I am guessing, the fanbelt .Salesman put that down to the engine being washed (The car hadnt been in long ,was covered in polish,about to be valeted, shown engine bay and it was wet) .I may go back and have another look tomorrow and see if he is prepared to put it in writing re the bumper,and also take it out for a spin.The thought of a Nissan warranty does sound good.
Looking at your location I'm guessing it's WLMG in Hanwell...be VERY CAREFUL if you buy a used car from them...my wife's work colleague bought a 1.4 Visia last year, only he was promised an ACENTA!!!
Not only was he surprised to find no flexi-boards or passenger seat storage, after a month there was so much MOULD growing on the back seats he ended up in hospital with a chest infection. There was a host of other problems with the vehicle too, NONE of which the dealer was prepared or able to rectify. The poor bugger eventually returned the car after much wrangling and threats of legal action for misrepresentation, and now drives a 6 year old Almera...hardly progress in my opinion. Tell that Mehmet (service manager at WLMG) EXACTLY what you expect, and do not let them fob you off with any old crap. CAVEAT EMPTOR! (that's Latin for 'don't catch your trunk in the tailgate')

Edited by: SneakyElephant

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Just a thought. its also coming up to the end of the tax year too (4th of april)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, not WLMG, although I have just seen a car on their site that looked promising.Then I read your post !No, this is Glyn Hopkin in Leyton.

·
Registered
20 Posts
HIjust had my note for a few weeks now,had the fan belt squeak a few times ,but not done it for over a week now,even then it only last for a few seconds then stopped. Should i get this checked out?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
its just the cold tbh if it really sqeeling check it the belt tensioners thayare manually adjustable

·
Registered
20 Posts
Only happend about twice last week, like i said was only for a few seconds,and it was very coldThanks for that i will keep my eye on it
Thanks

1 - 20 of 46 Posts