Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Thought I'd Just let you all see this from a trade Magazine from the motoring industry, its titled "Lighting Requirements"
Reads As Follows;
These new clauses and changes to the MOT test clarify and the enforcement of the lighting rewuirements. It is also worth noting a few other requirements:
<ul>[*]Aswith Xenon HID Conversion Kits, it is also not possible to obtain approval on LED replacement bulbs either. The use of LED replacement bulbes in exterior lighting functions is therefore not permitted. LED replacement bulbs are not ECE approved for exterior use and could fail the MOT test as a result. LED bulbs are however permissible for interior applications on a vehicle.[*]Poor quality headlight bulbs produce poor quality beam patterns which can cause glare for on coming drivers and cause other safety issues. the present MOT beam test is designed to target glare, but the new requirements should also help eliminate poor beam patterns due to incorrect fitting.[*]Although these new test requirements will mean that aftermarket Xenon HID conversion kits will be passable; consumers need to understand HID conversion kits are not road legal and do not comply with Regulation37 where substituted into a halogen headlight unit. They can cause considerable glare for oncoming vehicles and other road users and the should only be used for offraod applications.[*]The DOT (Dept of Transport) states that it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit to HID. The main reason for this is the existing lens and reflectors are designed around a halogen filament bulb, working to very high tolerances. If replaced with a HID bulb the beam pattern would not be correct, glare could be present in some places adn not enough light in other places within thebeam pattern. This causes glare to on coming drivers and other road uses and pedestrians.[/list]

So as you can see, no matter how naff you think your lights are dont change to HID because you probably wont pass your MOT and or you could be nicked too.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to let you know , on the above infoYou can however fit LED lights as long as they are to be used only for show, or if they in no way affect the existing lights already attached to the car, as in the two red LED strips i have on my rear lights.
Though I want to find some where in Yorkshire that i can go to get my car raised in the air so i can fit my underbody glow kit!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts