Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a new Note 1.6 nTec+ auto and I have noticed that there not seem to be much in the way of engine braking when I take my foot of the accelerator.

The car gives the impression that it is running away with itself.

So I am constantly using the brakes in slow moving traffic.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem.

I have driven other automatics over the years so have an idea on how to drive them.

Any thoughts ...

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
typical auto you dont get any engine braking you use the brakes, the coasting affect take some getting use too but over time it become second nature
dont change down gear with an auto box as you will end up killing it (you can but in emergencys only)

there a few threads on the subject modern autos arnt as strong as the old mechanical auto boxes

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
flash22 said:
typical auto you dont get any engine braking you use the brakes, the coasting affect take some getting use too but over time it become second nature

I wondered what you meant last time you wrote about a coasting effect, I see now.
What is happening is the car is driving on the torque converter and simply wants to go faster. There is engine braking if you actually lift your foot up at speed and go onto overrun.

Having driven autos for over 30 years now I don't even think about it, I just left foot brake most of the way to work and wear the brake pads out.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
you do get a degree of engine braking as the Convertor spins down depends what sort of revs your doing
on a driving test in a manual, coasting is classed as a fail basically going down a hill in 4 or 5th you have no control of the car (allowing the car to roll downa hill)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I tend to drive my automatic Note around town and local with the overdrive switch off & then put it back on if I travel on bigger faster roads but in stop start traffic with the overdrive off our car is great and very controlled. Anyone any thoughts on this,works for me.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
The overdrive switch doesn't do anything on mine around town except make a yellow light come on on the dashboard.

It prevents it going into 4th, but it won't shift to 4th until just over 30 mph anyway. At 35 in 4th pressing it will cause a downchange to 3rd, as it should.

Makes no difference to driveablity in slow traffic that I can detect.

Some people reckon having the yellow light on round town will give slightly more mpg, but I haven't observed the slightest difference, and at an average of 31mpg, another one or two would make a difference to my fuel bills.

It's an automatic, put it into D and just drive it

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
with od off in mine i get 15% ish better mpg pressing the od puts the engine in to a different map and drops the red line it also alter the auto box ecu

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I'll try it again for another week. I should easily be able to see a 15% reduction off £30 worth of petrol (£4.50)

It made no difference last time I tried it though

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
mnl said:
The overdrive switch doesn't do anything on mine around town except make a yellow light come on on the dashboard.

It prevents it going into 4th, but it won't shift to 4th until just over 30 mph anyway. At 35 in 4th pressing it will cause a downchange to 3rd, as it should.

Makes no difference to driveablity in slow traffic that I can detect.

Some people reckon having the yellow light on round town will give slightly more mpg, but I haven't observed the slightest difference, and at an average of 31mpg, another one or two would make a difference to my fuel bills.

It's an automatic, put it into D and just drive it

Agree fully with the above plus it won't go into o/d at all until the engine is fully up to temp. The biggest difference to around town mpg is your right foot movement and traffic perception i.e. plan ahead.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Back to the original post:

I looked in the workshop manual, section AT

On page AT-35 it says that there is an overrun clutch that activates when the throttle opening is less than 1/16. It works in 1,2 &3 (not needed in 4th as the main one way clutch is bypassed anyway).

So there should be engine braking.

On page AT-211 It says that this clutch is controlled by signals from speed, gear selector position, overdrive switch and throttle position.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
yes indeed whats all controlled by the auto box ecu (behind the glovebox)
OD off works for me esp around town, its an electronic (switchable map on the ecu)OD, not an old mechanical type like in a MGB with gears, shafts and collars

1 - 12 of 12 Posts