Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I had my ignition repaired and the problem of my key being stuck in the ignition persists. I disconnected what I think is a wire (looks like a bike brake cable) from a solenoid that connects via a c clip in the back of the ignition and now the key comes out every time and everything seems to work.... any idea what I have unplugged and do I need it?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
On an automatic, there is a plastic lever in the gear selector housing that connects to that cable. It only lets you turn the key fully off and remove it when the selector is in park, and moving that lever. If the lever breaks you can't ever get the key out again.

I thought the lever had to pull the cable to get the key out, maybe it pulls it to keep the key in.

Either way it sounds like disconnecting it has "fixed" it- but you will be able to turn the key off and remove it, locking the steering, when you are driving along now, which is a safety hazard nowadays. (In the Olden Days, people just didn't take the keys out while moving so it wasn't needed....)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On an automatic, there is a plastic lever in the gear selector housing that connects to that cable. It only lets you turn the key fully off and remove it when the selector is in park, and moving that lever. If the lever breaks you can't ever get the key out again.

I thought the lever had to pull the cable to get the key out, maybe it pulls it to keep the key in.

Either way it sounds like disconnecting it has "fixed" it- but you will be able to turn the key off and remove it, locking the steering, when you are driving along now, which is a safety hazard nowadays. (In the Olden Days, people just didn't take the keys out while moving so it wasn't needed....)
Thank you - I’ll ask the garage what a repair would set me back!

Jon

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
This has come up before, and disconnecting the cable does bypass the interlock- I'd forgotten it worked that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The central locking won’t open. Battery in fob replaced. Can’t open it via keyhole in passenger door... could it be related to the part I disconnected to get the key out of the ignition?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I don't think so, you probably just have a flat battery. I'm fairly sure that the passenger emergency keyhole is just a switch, rather than a mechanical lock, as someone else reported that with a flat battery they couldn't get in, and ended up crawling underneath to get a charge wire to the starter solenoid.

I have a plug for the optimate stuck out from under the bonnet ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts