Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 1.2 dig s Tekna Auto. on a 16 plate, very pleased so far. First Auto I've ever had and any opinions would be much appreciated. All the best.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Just bought 1.2 dig s Tekna Auto. on a 16 plate, very pleased so far. First Auto I've ever had and any opinions would be much appreciated. All the best.

I would search for Nissan CVT.

I hate typing replies like this but the CVT auto box in the Note is fragile and totally irreperable should it develop a fault (£5500+ to replace). It also needs a fairly expensive fluid change every 30,000 miles or so.

I really can't stress how bad it is and, personally, I would get rid sooner rather than later.

As I said, I am really sorry to type this but do a firum search and a Google search about Nissan CVT.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Nigel, That's really bad news. Wish I'd researched but never dreamed a major brand's box could be that bad. It's only done 4,600 miles since new in June 2016. I would be much obliged if you could give me a best guess as to what sort of mileage on pretty gentle driving I might hope to get before trouble appears. I know it's a crystal ball job but your opinion is based on knowledge and experience o cvt which I simply don't possess. Hope to hear from you, All the best Alan.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Thanks Nigel, That's really bad news. Wish I'd researched but never dreamed a major brand's box could be that bad. It's only done 4,600 miles since new in June 2016. I would be much obliged if you could give me a best guess as to what sort of mileage on pretty gentle driving I might hope to get before trouble appears. I know it's a crystal ball job but your opinion is based on knowledge and experience o cvt which I simply don't possess. Hope to hear from you, All the best Alan.

At three years old you are already due a CVT fluid change (c£200-250).

The problem with the Nissan CVT is the metal drive belt which is prone to fracture and when it shatters the metal swarf irreperably blocks the oilways. It can be removed by the cost of totally dismantling th box and ensuring that every last bit of swarf is removed exceeds the cost of the gearbox.

Driven carefully, with regular fluid changes there is no reason why the box should not last well into six figures.

The issue is that Nissan UK only warranty the gearboxes for three years (Nissan USA have been forced after a 'class action' lawsuit, to offer a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty) so afetr just 36 months you are on 'borrowed time'.

As I said Alan, I hate posting things like this but, if you have a chance to return it, I really would do so.

There are FAR better CVTs out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts