Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

This morning I have just had the new airbags fitted to my 2010 1.5 Diesel NTEC.
On the way home I noticed that the Cruise Control and Limiter had stopped working but also the Sat Nav was not able to locate where I was.

Question is, have the mechanics broken/disturbed something? And are the Cruise Control and Sat Nav connected in some way?

Car is booked in again in a weeks time but it would be nice to have a bit of inside knowledge before Nissan try and baffle me with science.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,975 Posts
Did you inform them about these problems straight away, as soon as you noticed.

·
Registered
908 Posts
To get the steering wheel airbag changed the mechanic would, obviously, have to remove the wheel.
The clock spring sits behind the air bag, if the clock spring was turned out of alignment as things were re-assembled then a turn of the steering wheel could have snapped one or more wires in the cable that runs in a continuous loop inside of a plastic cassette. The cable supplies power to all steering wheel function buttons and if any are broken then the corresponding button /s will not work until the clock spring is replaced.
A video on youtube explains the importance of keeping the cable at it's centred point to avoid damage, and how to do the job yourself if needs be, just search for "Nissan Note Airbag Light Flashing" the contributor is "One Auto".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To get the steering wheel airbag changed the mechanic would, obviously, have to remove the wheel.
The clock spring sits behind the air bag, if the clock spring was turned out of alignment as things were re-assembled then a turn of the steering wheel could have snapped one or more wires in the cable that runs in a continuous loop inside of a plastic cassette. The cable supplies power to all steering wheel function buttons and if any are broken then the corresponding button /s will not work until the clock spring is replaced.
A video on youtube explains the importance of keeping the cable at it's centred point to avoid damage, and how to do the job yourself if needs be, just search for "Nissan Note Airbag Light Flashing" the contributor is "One Auto".
When I questioned them about it they said it’s probably because the horn was disconnected - (it wasn’t working and I am replacing it) -

Could it be that?

·
Registered
908 Posts
What !?!?!?!
The horn has nothing to do with the steering wheel function buttons, it has it's own connection behind the air bag module.
If any of the function buttons are not working then try continually pressing them whilst turning the steering from lock to lock.
If the function suddenly works when the steering is moved then there's a good chance that the spiral cable ( clock spring ) is broken and needs replacing.
The video i mentioned in my previous post shows what i mean, search for it on you tube, it's an excellent guide.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
As far as I know, the airbag just comes out of the centre of the wheel if you poke a screwdriver up the holes in the back of the spokes to unclip the springs, the wheel stays where it is- in fact you would first have to remove the air bag to undo the nut holding the wheel on :)

Takes around 10 minutes to swap it, including disconnecting the battery and waiting for the air bag system to discharge.

I've no idea how the horn press works though, undoubtedly they could break it if they tried :)

The passenger air bag needs the glove box dropping, and the dash top flipping up, they would have to be real numpties to break the cruise control and gps antenna, but we are talking about Renault/Nissan wiring, so anything is possible I suppose.

On the connect, if you are showing the map, you can press something obvious on the screen- menu I think, and you get the option to save position, or show position information.

If you show position information, it tells you how many satellites it is currently tracking, it should need at least 3 to get a fix, otherwise it does a "dead reckoning" method based on distance & direction travelled, that works so well you don't notice until it shows you are 5 miles from where you are. (It is used in tunnels, town centres and woodland areas)

If it says zero, I'd think the gps antenna is disconnected/broken/fallen down inside the dash.

Mine goes through periods of not being able to get a position, I sorted it with a new magnetic mounted antenna that I have stuck to a steel plate on the dash in front of me, and when it is lost I open the drivers window and stick it on the roof which restores the signal.

I think the windscreen has some sort of coating that attenuates the signal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts