Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a major airbag recall its said to effect over 3.4m cars world wide effecting older cars from 6-11 years old but could be wider spread

A clip from the bbc website

Japan's top four carmakers are recalling a total of 3.4 million cars over a defect in passenger airbags.

Toyota, which is recalling 1.73 million cars, said the vehicles had a defective part which "could cause the airbag inflator to rupture and deploy the airbag abnormally in a crash".

Globally, Honda is recalling 1.13 million cars, Nissan almost 500,000 and Mazda 45,000.

In the UK, Toyota, Nissan and Honda are all recalling certain models.

The cars were sold in the years 2000-04, and the firms said the defective part was supplied by parts maker Takata Corp.

UK models affected include:

76,000 Toyota vehicles, including Corolla and Yaris,
60,000 Nissans, including X-Trail, Patrol, Almera, Almera Tino, Terrano II and Navara
and 15,400 Hondas, most of them CRVs, but including 400 Jazz and Civic models.

Nissan advised UK customers to contact garages where the cars were bought or call 01923 899334.

Global car giants are usually quick to recall vehicles for inspection and repair as soon as they are aware of a fault.

These generally tend to be minor and it is rare that they are linked to accidents or fatalities.

Shares in Takata fell 9% to 1,819 yen on the Tokyo Stock Exchange on Thursday

More Can be found HereEdited by: flash22

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
How many recalls have Toyota had in the past few years?

It's no surprise that their share price is like a 'cat on elastic'.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
flash22 said:
(Quoting the BBC)

Global car giants are usually quick to recall vehicles for inspection and repair as soon as they are aware of a fault.

These generally tend to be minor and it is rare that they are linked to accidents or fatalities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22104702
Shouldn't this read

"Global car giants are usually quick to recall vehicles for inspection and repair as soon as they are aware of a major fault that may cost them many many millions in public liability claims"

Not one of them does a recall to fix manufacturing faults: just look at all the service bulletins that start "In case of customer complaint........."

At least the Note is too new, and The Other Car is too old to be affected by this one

EDIT:

VOSA aren't showing a recall yet on the almera, haven't checked the others, you can amuse yourselves by checking all your vehicles through the VOSA site if you are bored

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

Edited by: mnl

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah I got the recall letter from Nissan with regards to my 12 year old Almeras airbags, to be honest though it was due a repair of 450 quid and that was more than the cost of the car, so I didn't bother getting them replaced, I traded the car in for the Nissan Note. Best move I have ever made.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I did a consultancy on one of Toyota's recall problems a few years ago, the culprit/supplying company no longer exists such was the cost penalty incurred.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts