Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the oil on my lovely 07 Note diesel.

Whilst the jacking points for use with the supplied jack are obvious. where can the car be safely jacked up from the front using a hydraulic jack? The owners booka and the service manual are silent on this.

Would much appreciate an answer by the weekend as the change is due owing to having taken the car to Spain and back this year!

Many thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
On Austin 8, Mini, Maxis, Minor 1000s and Favorits I always used the jack below front suspension joints and put axle stands, with suitably shaped packing, under the normal jacking points. This is perfectly safe and I never had any problems. For an oil change I jack up the side away from the drain plug for better emptying.
Nissan's handbook contradicts itself in the use of jacks, recommending "suitable floor jack" (8-17)but with "Do not use another vehicle jack ..." (6-5) and "Use only the jack which is provided ..." (6-6). Seems a bit like Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum.

Hope the weather's kind for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
First apply handbrake and chock the rear wheels. Get a trolley jack and run it in from one side just behind the front wheel so you've got enough room to put the axle stand in that side and operate the kack handle. The jacking platform needs to go on the centre of the subframe as this will support the weight of the front of the car when raised. Don't put the platform on the small U shaped metal behind the subframe
Lift the car up and get your axle stands on both sides. You need to get it quite high to get under, maybe two clicks if they are rachet stands. Then drop the jack down slowly until the whole weight is on the stands. Never get under a car supported only by a jack. I've seen what can happen!You can then get to the sump plug easily. You can also get your hand up to put a filter wrench on the filter canister. Well done if you get the filter off without getting a sleeve-full of old, warm engine oil when it empties! Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses.
Have changed the oil without difficulty
but the removal of the oil filter is eluding me

I've tried chain and strap wrenches to get off what is a non Nissan oil filter. I.ve also tried one of those fancy wrenches that are shaped like scissors but still can't get the thing off ( Laser Swivel Jaw Filter Wrench 57mm To 120mm). Any ideas?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sounds like no oil had been but on the rubber o ring seal and now it's a bitch to get off
The only other thing I have done in the past is punch a big screwdriver into the canister and then use the screwdriver to turn it.
Saying all this, I'massumingthat this is a metal canister type and not just the paper filter type as fitted to some cars.

It will come off... just keep saying it to yourself...

·
Registered
39 Posts
You should be able to get it off if you have a large set of filter pliers which is what it sounds like you have. There's not much room but get one arm up the back of the engine and then guide the jaws onto the filter. Grip it really hard with your other hand on the pliers and give it some welly. Make sure you are turning anti-clockwise
Don't worry about crushing it. It will come off eventually. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts