Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 week old 1.6dci ntec note has already been back to the garage that supplied it as the wash bottle leaks when you fill it up- it di so the first time I filled it before I drove it off my drive for the first time. It does not leak completely but you can see the level dropping and before you ask it is not trapped air escaping, you can see it dripping out onto the ground below the bottle. I estimate the amount that leaks is about the volume of the neck of the bottle and from what I can see the neck is mouldedseparatelyand pushes into the bottle. But it is very difficult to see without starting to dismantle the car and I am notkeento do that just yet.

The handbook that comes with the car says fill the washbottleto the MAX mark, but I can't see a MAX mark and I have had a very good luck. So first question is where is the MAX mark? The bottle is effectively hidden out of site.

As I said it has been back to the dealer/garage that supplied the car and they have written...

"checked washer bottle when filled to the top this is normal its so when th freezes up it doesnt split the bottle it just pushes filler neck out."

(before anyone comments on mygrammarand spelling this is exactly what the garage typed)

So my second question is to ask if the wash bottle is designed by Nissan to drain down to certain level if it is over filled? It does not mention this in the Handbook!

I am not inclined to believe this "explanation" as there is no sign of an overflow taking the excess contents safely away from the bodywork. Anyway shouldn't I be putting enough washer fluid in to prevent it freezing up!? I think the more obvious explanation is that the neck of the bottle is not sealed into the bottle.

Before I have any further discussions with the garage/nissan I would like to know if anyone else has this happening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Oblong welcome to the gang.
As far as I can figure the max is the high tide level,like when we're drinking ,fill to the top & use antifreeze screenwash in winter.Our one dont leak but most modern screen wash tanks are mounted in the front wing & are in two parts,the spout being pushed into the tank with an "O"ring seal or screwed down onto a spigot on the tank.As far as I can see the only way to get at it is to remove the plastic inner wing in front of the Rt.front wheel.

Regards.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Not had that happen but I would think the seal is damaged or the neck not pushed firmly into place. perhaps even the seal is missing?

I had to change the pump on a focus washer bottle before and that involved taking off the wheel, arch liners and various other bits just to get to it. A good couple of hours for what should be a simple job.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They all do that sir.....man at Main Dealer told me after he charged me for a screen wash fill which went staraight on to the tarmac. Had a big row about paying for something which I never got.
The neck joins the bottle with a rubber gromet which does not seal properly so make sure you are not wasting loads of expensive washer fluid by not over filling. Very difficult. I have made a flexible tube dip-stick which I blow down whilst filling to ensure I only fill to the bottom of the neck. It looks like I could get in there if I removed the headlight then It could be cleaned and sealed with some silicone. Can I be bothered?
If any one has done this job then please post a 'how to'
Happy dripping,
Phil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.