Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<h1 id="pageTitle">intermittent wipers not working but low and high speed of the wipers work?</h1><div style="overflow: ; color: rgb0, 0, 0; : rgb255, 255, 255; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;">Its a 2006 1.5dci sve with automatic wipers had the car a few months but have never been able to get the intermittent wipe to work . the first few weeks i just thought it was me , then we had the good weather so i never bothered now the rain has come back and i still cant work it out.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Turn the little collar on the right stalk all the way up to maximum, that's clockwise looking at it from the right hand end of the knob. It should get faster as your driving speed increases too. It's the 'ring' between the rear wipe (on the very tip ) and the 'auto' selector. I'm assuming that the controls are the same as on the 60 plate cars. the stalk also must be on the first position forward from the 'off' setting, the one before 'slow wipe'.
Edited by: SneakyElephant

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have the same problem.

How does it know whether to be automatic or intermittent? The auto & intermittent are the same position on the main switch.

I assume auto measures light level through the screen rather than cleverly looking for water droplets, as sometimes it goes crazy wiping continuously, and other times I would have done a single wipe ages before it does.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
They don't just measure daylight as that would mean they would be on at night time all of the time, there's a rain sensor located above the rearview mirror that also functions as a light sensor. Itrecognizesrain by a non uniform light pattern detected by the sensor array (uses infrared reflection from the sensor) this system might of come from the Renault side of the group and there systems are known to have unreliable sensors. Dirty screens also affect the sensor if smears of road residues attach. If you apply RAIN X to your windows, you don't need to use your wipers at all above 25mph unless it's absolutely torrential and motorway journey speeds are entertaining in the rain with RAIN X applied.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
theres no intermitant as such its automatic what is very intermitant, usually i flick the stalk up or puton 1 click under auto
the strange thing is the auto lights work as thay should

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Cheers both,

I looked it up and the sensor theory is sound, so looks like mine is just made by Renault as you say.

(Should have done more homework before I bought a Renault. Now everytime
I look at it the front screams "Renault", I can't believe I didn't realise. At least the engine is Nissan)

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
its a nissan its built on nissans b platform yes it shares parts from the modus the front end is defo nissan tho
as i have said before you cant get away from the french vauxhall use the pug/cit derv cdti lumps

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Right, I went outside (bright sunshine amazingly) and turned on the ignition with the wipers on auto, and they wipe like billy-o on a dry screen

Looks clean enough to eat your dinner off, but out with the glass cleaner and polish until I think I've gone through the glass and am cleaning the laminate.

This time, one sweep and they stay still

But the intermittent volume control does nothing, except set off one sweep as I turn it to narrow.

I think it is a sensitivity adjuster, not anything to do with a timer, and the note doesn't have intermittent wipers. Don't know what difference narrow will make, as it was on wide before.
No doubt it will be raining in the morning and I will see.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
With the auto function on the wiper will only activate as and when it detects enough to impart a signal to the motor, it won't continue to wipe unless it continues to detect.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
mdvineng said:
With the auto function on the wiper will only activate as and when it detects enough to impart a signal to the motor, it won't continue to wipe unless it continues to detect.
Also, the harder it rains the faster it wipes.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Yes when it works properly it is very good. I have to say I rather like it. Trouble is sometimes the wipers just keep wiping for no reason. Seems a lot of other people have the same problem too, just type rain sensing wiper into google

We have gone in circle somewhat. What I think is the problem, for both myself and the O.P. is RTFMitis
, we bought a new (to us) car, and sat on the sofa devouring the manual, where it clearly tells you all about the intermittent wipe, and using the stalk volume control to set the time between wipes. The stalk is even marked - - - to make you think it is an intermittent function.

(Thick line fast, thin line slow, broken line intermittent: makes sense eh?)

There is just one sentence about auto rain sensing.

Problem is there is no way to select intermittent:

- - - and AUTO are the same position.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone

ain't it marvellous been out three times now and still waiting for it to rain
so i can test what i have read on the forum , still at the back of my mind i still think there is more to it
then what i have read.

but will update you all if it works or not thanks again to you all

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Gave them a good test today and

1) they are a dead loss, (come back little vauxhall with the so easy to set intermittent wipe
)

2) the volume control on the stalk appears to set how obscured the screen gets before they wipe.
Narrow has them wiping at motorway speed in fine spray, wide has them actually stopping sometimes.

Doesn't seem very much consistency, must be the size of the rain drops, fine spray that you can see through sets them off, but get big spots that you can't see through and they don't wipe until after the accident. sort of makes sense scientifically, the screen is wetter over a large area with the fine drops, the larger discrete drops provide more water but wet less total area.

Edited by: mnl

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah tried over the last couple days but still no good
are well back to the drawing board
thanks again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts