Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second problem on the car: the interior lights stay on. So we have to turn them 'off' using the switch otherwise they stay on (including the boot light). so we can't have it so the lights come on when we open the door. I've checked all the door switches - all good; boot switch (part of the catch) is operating properly, even tried it with that disconnected. I'm concerned it may be the the BCM - i.e. it is controlled by the 'Body Control Module'. I can't find where that is on the car - is it up under the dashboard? i.e. does the entire dashboard have to come out to change it?

The car has only done 5000 miles from new, but is just out of warranty (over three years old) so I need to sort it out myself.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The lights should go off when you exit the car and lock the doors with the key fob.Are they actually on when you're driving?
Edited by: SneakyElephant

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah if you have them in the centre position (ie to come on when you open the doors), they stay on when you exit the car and lock the car with the key fob. Yes they stay on if you are driving, unless you turn them 'off' fully.

Everything seems to be controlled by the 'body control module' eg they slow fade after 20 seconds or whatever. So I'm concerned that is the problem, although everything else works properly.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
do you get a door open light on the dash ??

some times the bcm can get confused if you disconect the car battery for 15-20 min this should reset the bcm

it could be a number of things otherwise

Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the door open light is NOT on - only when you do actually open the door (ie it is working properly). I have tried disconnecting the battery for about 15 mins already - still the same afterwards. Do you know if it is up underneath the dashboard somewhere? Although I don't see how that helps me as it's just a box. It's so frustrating as the car is literally as new. It's this one, I bought it for my sister:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGwY6LwRRq0

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the bcm is in the depths of the dash you cant just swap it out for another really as it will need setting up for your car does the car also have climate ?? this will explain your other problem too

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
if youve only just bought it from a trader take it back !!!unless you bought trade that is as the bcm isnt a cheap job

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it has climate control. Yes it was bought from a car dealer just under 2 months ago. But it wasn't Nissan dealer just a normal secondhand dealer. The rest of the car is perfect.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
take it back and see usually there cover a car for 3-6 months if its a decent trader

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WEll solved this one too. I found with one of the rooflights removed (the front one as it happened), the other worked properly, so there was clearly a problem with the light assembly, not the Body Control Module (which 'controls' the lighting). Hurray!

A few minutes later with a multimeter and I found that one of the circuits was live when it shouldn't be. Some carefull examination revealed that two of the circuits appeared to be veering towards each other, and presumably touching (couldn't actually see that as it was behind some of the plastic). I simply pushed down that circuit gently, and it 'reseated' more properly on the plastic light assembly. Voila! it stopped the short-circuit, and lights now function correctly. Didn't cost anything either

Before - see the two circuits converging:

After - I have pressed the (upper one in the photo) circuit 'home' and now they run parallel:

Edited by: coolhands

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
glad you got it fixed, put a bit of insulting tape over one of the tracks so it dont do it again, another fault to add to the list
the bcm does infact control the dimming of the interior lighting and the timing

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That particular one was a very tight 'fit' in the headlining. I think it may have got squashed like that when it was first put in. The rear one was nowhere near as tight.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
flash22 said:
glad you got it fixed, put a bit of insulting tape over one of the tracks so it dont do it again, another fault to add to the list
the bcm does infact control the dimming of the interior lighting and the timing
I bought a roll of that insulting tape...it has 'BOLLOCKS' printed on it at regular intervals...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts