1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question.

How is the intelligent keyfob supposed to work really
?

In testing it, we discovered that the car will not start if the key is not in the car but if it is already on and the key is moved away, it keeps running. Isnt the car supposed to turn off or something?

By extension, if the doors are left open and I leave the vicinity.....isnt it supposed to lock up automatically?

....or am I just expecting too much from my new toy
?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
it all depends how the locking was setup at the factory

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello!

The intelligent key does operate just as you have stated. This works because there is a RFID (radio frequency identifier) chip located within the key that works just like the normal immobiliser chip inside a regular key. This chip needs to be inside the car in order to communicate with the receiver mounted in the car that detects the signal from the RFID and tells the on board computer that the car can be started. This is purely just needed to start the car and these units do not need to be in constant communication while the car is running. One reason for this (for example) is if the key was dropped out of range (maybe out a window by a small child) then the car will not stall and leave the occupants in danger.

Also in regards to door locking, the intelligent key does have a remote central locking function, but control is still in the hands of the operator, i.e. the owner still has to push the button on the door handle in order to lock/unlock the car. Intelligent key, working as a frequency code, just allows for this operation to be done without having to remove the key from a pocket or handbag.

Further clarification of the operation of these systems is available within the owners handbook supplied with the car when new. Additional copies can be obtained from any local Nissan dealership parts department.
We hope this helps and please let us know if you have any other questions!
Best,
Nissan GB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was perfectly explained NissanGB.

All my concerns were put to rest right there. I guess this means that I do need to install an after-market security system on the car after all.

Bummer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SneakyElephant said:
Glad I didn't get the keyless ignition...too many uncertanties with these modern ideas. What's the problem with turning a key in a lock?

The "keyless" ignition comes with a key that can also be used. Its just another novelty; its not like the key is replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts