Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, what do I need to know before installing a towbar? Unplug the car battery? Any other precautions?

I've got an universal lighting kit and apct towbar. Planning to do reversing sensors whilst I'm at it. Expect to take some photos so this may form a how to in the future.

For those who are interested there is a good useful video on the topic here:http://youtu.be/l3hpvQt8gHE.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
adjust the sensors to allow for the towbar and make sure you have some sparebulbs and fuses (lighting fuses are in the ipdm, ipdm - biege box behind the passenger side headlamp)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought I'd share a belated update of my progress, may be useful to someone down the line.

Towbar and reversing sensors are installed and working perfectly.

I'd advise against the PCT towbar (mine came from PF Jones on ebay) since it involves lowering theexhaust, cutting the heatshieldbut mostly because it attaches to the underside of the car, so is generally a huge pain to work on. Several bolts were in awkward places without enough space for thetorquewrench.

I also wasn't impressed with the qualitycontrol of the PCT towbaras one of the bolt holes had a large defect in it so I had to remove it from the car to sort out.

I much prefer the design of the towbar featured in the video, it came out horizontally from the car.

Reversing sensors were pretty easy, I routed the cables through the vents in the boot which go between the bumper and just above the spare wheel. I placed the display in the cubbyhole above the CD/Radio, which involved removing the radio fascia and taking the tray out and drilling a hole large enough for the wire. The display wire was routed along the carpet/door seal on the near side of the car to the boot. For £11 (ebay again) they work a treat. I don't think I can be bothered to paint them, they don't look too bad in black. I didn't put a switch in since it's very easy to unplug them, just need to lift up the carpet over the spare wheel.
I should point out that there were nomarkings on the rear of the bumper to indicate where the sensors should go on my '08 note.

Overall the job took about three days, everything is new to me so I took it pretty slowly. I had to use the car in the middle of it so had to put the bumper on before taking it off again to do all the electrics.

Pictures:

Apologies for the long post!

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Can I ask how much the whole job cost......tow bar and reversing sensors.

I had a tow bar fitted, and it looks rather like a Rhino horn, but the ball comes up higher than yours.

Don't ask me what make mine it is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IIRC the towbar kit (including the electrics kit) was about £95 and the reversing sensors cost £11. I also bought a cheaptorquewrench for £18, some extra scotch locks, and had to extend a few wires so had to do a bit of soldering. All in though not more than £130.I prefer to spend some time getting my hands dirty and spend money on tools than pay someone to do it!

I guess you're talking about a swanneck towbar, I wanted a 'flange' type for use with a towbar mounted bike rack. I'm getting a Maxxraxx if anybody is interested.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
MrNote said:
IIRC the towbar kit (including the electrics kit) was about £95 and the reversing sensors cost £11. I also bought a cheaptorquewrench for £18, some extra scotch locks, and had to extend a few wires so had to do a bit of soldering. All in though not more than £130.I prefer to spend some time getting my hands dirty and spend money on tools than pay someone to do it!

I guess you're talking about a swanneck towbar, I wanted a 'flange' type for use with a towbar mounted bike rack. I'm getting a Maxxraxx if anybody is interested.

Bargain that.

My days of skinning my knuckles are long gone, but did enjoy 'tricking' cars up in my younger years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts