Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. would any one advise using injector and pump cleaner additive.my note diesel 1.5 has done 12500 miles on very short trips .no problems with car just thought might help cheers

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi, don't bother, most diesel fuels today incorporate a cleaner and they don't use a rich fuel system for cold running like a petrol engine.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Don't use any of that crap, fuel additives, injector cleaners, octane 'improvers' etc. None of them work as claimed and they cost a fortune. I notice that no car manufacturer will put their names to these products.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a diesel toyota corolla estate for 5 years and my local airedale toyota garage advised me to use additive .they said they sold gallons to taxi drivers not sure what it was called but it was sold by toyota .i think it did improve mpg slightly and never did any harm to the engineandmost have lubrication inthe engines best freind. shell v -power i am told is very good it costs more but will deliver better performance and mpg this already has additives in .

·
Registered
35 Posts
My old 635CSi specifically requested Chevron Techron for cleaning the injectors. Most stuff is snake oil, but injector cleaners have a purpose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found recently a research made by german institute (engine developement) and they refering to bad influence on diesel engines caused by modern specs diesel fuels. Actual fuels are less "greasy"because of sulph lack. At the end of the research they say that the only improvement can be done is to mix diesel with 1/200 2t oil. It maintain a cleaner fuel system, reduce fumes, compatible with catalitic converters and PF, and not the least, a 3-5% fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
waste of money.
Also, if you are under warranty don't add anything. If (when) the fuel pump fails and fills the whole fuel system with swarf they will try and use it as an excuse not to fix it. (Yes they will check the fuel)

If you read round the diesel forums though, they are adding 2-stroke oil when they fill up in an attempt to lubricate the fuel pump and offset the effects of biodiesel.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
For those not familiar with 2 stroke oil, the reference to (1/200 2t)in the response from "yknot" is to use " 2 stroke oil in the ratio of 1:200.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
mdvineng said:
For those not familiar with 2 stroke oil, the reference to (1/200 2t)in the response from "yknot" is to use " 2 stroke oil in the ratio of 1:200.
Ahh! wondered what that meant

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Your English is fine.

Just the technical abbreviations are often not understood by everyone. I should have worked it out: 2T is on the label of the bottle of 2-stroke oil I have, I'm old, so I write mix ratios as 200:1 (which is actually backwards meaning 20 litres of fuel to 100ml of oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts