Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i am new so please bear with me... i have a question that i can not seem to find the answer to anywhere. my key is getting stuck in the ignition and takes some real force and wiggling to get it out . so my question is can replace the barrel with a second-hand one and swap the transponder over and swap the blade from second hand one onto my key fob and fit with out the need for any coding etc .. my original keys are both fine. or has anyone ever repaired an ignition barrel i am lead to believe it is the dust cover /cylinder trigger that is broke

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
It should work, you only need swap the barrel and the circuit board from the top of the key (which has the security transponder on it). However, the emergency manual lock on the passenger door will still fit the old key.

In The Olden Days, you put the key in, turned it to accessory and poked a stick into a hole in the lock to pull the barrel out.
Nowadays I think you have to remove the whole lock from around the steering column as there is a metal shield over the end of the barrel to stop people slide hammering the barrel out.

Fabulously expensive, but they can repair your lock and fit new key blades that match the original

They do show how to get the lock off

although I'd drill down the centre of the bolt and use an easy-out, I don't like whacking the steering column with a hammer!

You can reuse the shear bolts if you file slots in them, or even use plain bolts and suitable washers. No-one is going to strip the steering column to look if they can undo the shearbolts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts