Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Note for 6 months ish and I have done 10k

I only do around 16k per year. We have been working out all the places we have been, Scotland, Exmoor and work 250 miles per week.

Rounding up we have done 1.5 k to 2k too much

So, I am now going to clock the miles to work and see what it reads. Is this why I get the 70mpg ?

Have any of you come across this issue? My tyres need replacing which will have some effect as they have a smallercircumference.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Rich,

ALL notes come with standard 16 inch wheels, apart from the VISIA models which I believe are 15 inch IIRC? Mileage is based on actual distance travelled, which the tachometer will record regardless of tyre size etc.

Check the distance to work, and see if that reads correct.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
ive only heard of this issue when large or smaller wheels are added , but even then its only a small % difference

id be interested in your findings rich

·
Registered
3 Posts
Based on a comparison with mileages obtained from a portable GPS unit the mileometer on our Note 1.5 Visia (15 inch steel wheels) reads 5.7% high.

Our incredibly helpful local Nissan dealer have confirmed that they are unable to rectify this and so I wrote to the Nissan customer service centre three weeks ago to ask what I need to do to get the calibration corrected...as yet I have received no reply.

It doesn't seem acceptable to me in this day and age to ship new cars with such a significant discrepancy in the odometer readings compared with the actual mileage covered???

Its still a great value motor however...64MPG after compensating for odometer inaccuracy!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Daveh3228 said:
It doesn't seem acceptable to me in this day and age to ship new cars with such a significant discrepancy in the odometer readings compared with the actual mileage covered???/QUOTE]

Thats shocking TBH

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I thought that all size wheels up to 18" were actually the same circumference.

A larger 18" wheel has much lower profile tyres compared to a 15" wheel which makes up for the difference in the rim radius.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
thats right dan , my 18s have low profiles to match the overall circ of the 16s and 17s , mine are nissan standard 18s

·
Registered
245 Posts
craigfishin said:
thats right dan , my 18s have low profiles to match the overall circ of the 16s and 17s , mine are nissan standard 18s

OMFG...you have 18`s on your NOTE w..t..f

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Rich Note,

Hope you are well and thank you for your post.

If you would like to get in touch with a Note expert on your issue. Please fill out the form below and contact:<strong style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 13px; ">[email protected][/b]

Title:First Name:Last Name:Full Address:Daytime Phone Number:Evening Phone Number:Mobile Phone Number:
VIN/Chassis Number:Registration Number:Model:Mileage:Dealer Name:Dealer location:Dealer Staff Member:Best,BryannaNissan Community Manager

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Nissan GB, I'll do my checks first and report back.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay... It's time to sort this one out.

I'm going to start to log the miles on the trip vs SatNav and Google Maps.
And... they are not the same

We did a run to Manchester and the car trip added on an extra 5%

I do just less than 50 miles a day.
So everyday I'm going to:
- set the SatNav to work and homeand record how many miles it says the journey will be.
- work it out on Google maps (not everyday
).
- reset the trip both directions
- note the milometer
I do have a number of hills so the SatNav and Google may not be 100% correct.
When I have 30 sets of data I will then see what thedifference are.
One other test will be to use thewife'scar and see how many miles it says thejourneyis.

I'm confident that the milometer is wrong.

If some of you could check the Nissan SatNav vs your trip, it would help to see how much they are out.
Have any of you had issues?

thanks
Rich

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Rich, I have noticed that the speedo is in agreement with the sat nav at 30mph/at 50mph the car shows 53mph and at 70mph the car shows 76mph.So if you sit at 80mph on the clock your doing around 74mph and passing a lot of people with similar speedo errors and well within allowed range.
A few points to take into account are tyre sizes/pressures/wear, as the sat nav will not be affected by these variables, also reseting the trip will erase the distances recorded of less than one full mile i.e.two journeys of 37.6 becomes 74 and not 75.2.

personally i can live with the errors as is doesn't make my destination any nearer or further away! and it won't change how often I fill the tank. It'll be interesting to see the data, good luck.

regards

dave s

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Dave S,Thanks for the info, but I don't think we are on the same page.

Back in December, as my first post in this thread, the car was showing that we had done around 1.5k to 2k more miles than we had done i.e. when we sell the car it looks like it will show that it has done more miles than itactuallyhas done.
I'm working on seeing if the car milometer is correct, not the speedometer.
The SatNav I am using is the Nissan built in one. My trip milometer records 10th of miles e.g. 37.6
My tyres were all new in December so thecircumference so be correct for the milometer.

Rich

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Rich, we are on the same page, sort of, the same sensor is used for both readings but the distance will be mathematical function of the chip and the speedo reading will be a proportionate voltage output from the same chip plus errors, built in for legal reasons and of the dynamics of the needle pointer system. I have no idea if any of the vehiclesI have owned or experienced have had accurate trip or speed readings, the only time I have seen a calibrated one was curtesy of the Motorway Police some years ago! my wallet was unimpressed. Differences in load and inflation will affect the results and I think there's a 6% increase for a legal limit tyre versus new tyre. I'll try my sat nav trip versus car this weekend, if I remember as it's an early start, and let you know the result. On the resale with higher mileage, it would have to be way out to affect the price by looking at the correction factors in the guides.

regards

dave s

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Dave, good let me know how you get on. I'm still getting my data together.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Rich, not a long trip today, only 77 miles including two way through the Mersey tunnel (satnav caught up miles on exit), my satnav only does complete miles but I Note'd
the distance on the car trip when the satnav rolled over and ended up with a total maximum error of just 1.298% higher recorded miles on the car than the satnav (Garmin 1490LMT) and that's with 10 month old tyres on the front (16 inch app 5k miles). This would give a genuine distance covered of 50,000 miles to be recorded as 50,645 miles, so close enough on mine not to be concerned either way. I wonder if 15 inch wheel cars have different error %'s

Dave s

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Has the NIssanGB member heard of the data protection Act?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the update

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Rich, Cranfield Uni and back 308mls by sat nav, 319.9mls on the car with 40% worn tyres. ave speed over 5.5hrs was 52mph (birmingham rush hour kept it way down) fuel consumption 44.8mph.

regards

dave s

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Dave. We are going on holiday
to Dartmoor on Saturday, 270 miles by Google map, one way.I'll let you know how we get on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts