Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discovered this fe<?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName w:st="on">at</st1:personName>ure l<st1:personName w:st="on">at</st1:personName>e last night. how i got it to work: <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

setting on auto
key out of the ignition
drivers door open
pull the stalk for the main beam
dip beam stays on for 20sec

davidEdited by: davey_83

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Standard feature.
Each pull of the main beam stalk = 20 seconds up to IIRC 100 seconds (can't be bothered to look in the manual at the moment).

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have tried and the light stays on after the engine is switched off, but the car does not seem to save this setting when I do it. Can I get this set up permanently?

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Can you imagine pulling your stalk to last 100 seconds
. No really, if I set my lights to stay on for 100 seconds, I'd be looking out the window wondering if they'd turned themselves off?
Could be handy for a young couple wanting to get into the back seats for a bit more room, so they could see where they were going
. But in the back of a Note, Idon't think so

·
Registered
111 Posts
Intentional misunderstanding....

With permanently I mean, that I want this feature - lights come on as "coming home" lighting - comes on - preferentially in the dark - everytime I switch the engine off and end my journey without me having to reactivate it with the stalk when I remember to do so.
Mine stayed for about 30 seconds the first time, but when I tried it again, the lights did not come back on.

Nigel I looked in the manual and could not find it. Can you remember where in the manual this was?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I was referring the the E11.

I am not sure if the E12 has this at all and, even if it does, there will be no scope to change the pre-programmed settings I am afraid.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Gazdok said:
I have tried and the light stays on after the engine is switched off, but the car does not seem to save this setting when I do it. Can I get this set up permanently?
It should clear as leaving your headlights on when parked causes dazzle to other road users, so if you want them to stay on, on your drive say to see the garage door, you should have to consciously set it.

(This sort of courtesy to other road users and plain common sense does not, of course apply to any vehicle manufactured in Germany, I notice)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am interested in this feature. Call it courtesy light or coming home - leaving home light..... I regard it as a safety feature if any.
Not sure about this Germany comment altogether.
The Note is my wife's car, but my car - of course - has got
this inconsiderate feature activated. This company is totally under German control
but made in Czechoslovakia. My last car was made in Sweden and had it and my father-in-law's Jaguar XF does not extend the courtesy of not dazzeling others either for use of coming home lighting. I am not sure how 20 to 100 seconds of lights on should be a dazzeling problem for other road users.

I will try and download an E11 manual later and have a browse.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Gazdok said:
I am not sure how 20 to 100 seconds of lights on should be a dazzeling problem for other road users.
As I walk The Dog at around the same time each night, I sometimes have the pleasure of walking up the hill into the blinding lights of an Audi that parks up at the roadside facing me, and the driver gets out, locks up and goes into his house. Must last at least 30 seconds.

Imagine having a pair of stationary ultra-bright LED lights, or HID lamps shining into your eyes for upto 100 seconds as you approach a parked car, and are expected not to hit the black clad pedestrians and unlit cyclists milling around in the road behind it.

It always used to be an offence to dazzle other road users (in the UK), but as there are never any Police about nowadays, no-one seems to care anymore.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
If you have an E12, and you set your headlights on for 100 seconds after your engine has stopped, could really putan extrastrainon your stop/start system first thing in the morning?OK if your car is parked on your drive, you will be able to find your way too your front door, but surely you know where your front door is? But to have your lights stay on while parked on the road for up to 100 secondsbeats me?
There is a system that would be handy, and that's lights in the bottom of the doors or under the door mirrors, that light up the ground your stepping onto.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In the manual Nissan refers to it as "friendly lighting". It is in the E11 as well as in the E12 manual. It did not occur to me that this what they meant.
4 pulls on the light stalk can leave the light on for 120 seconds...
I never said I wanted the light on for 100 or even 120 seconds. The car is parked in the garage and when the garage auto light switches off it is pitch black as it is in many other places in the UK unless you always park under flood lighting. So a little light to get away from the car and as in my car's case to find the car without stepping into mud and dog sh*t is a friendly gesture by car manufacturers. Unfortunately the Note does not have mirror / puddle lights.
Modern stop/start batteries can take way more strain than old car batteries could take and 20 seconds up 120 seconds will not drain a battery after the car has been driven.
If anyone does not want use the friendly lighting then don't use it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts