Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<div abp="906">

As this comes up a few times a month i thought i would do a how to<div abp="907">
<div abp="908">You need to remove the glove box for easy access, whats just 5 screws
<div abp="909">
<div abp="910">

<div abp="912">
<div abp="913">

<div abp="915">
<div abp="916">the filter is located behind a plastic cover at the back on the right hand side, pull the cover at the bottom and it will come off
<div abp="917">
<div abp="918">

<div abp="920">
<div abp="921">the filter look something like this
<div abp="922">
<div abp="923">

<div abp="925">
<div abp="926">

<div abp="928">
<div abp="929">If you have the cooled glovebox removal of the vent helps when putting the glove box back in
<div abp="930">
<div abp="931">

<div abp="933">
<div abp="934">For those who need to replace thier heater card
<div abp="935">
<div abp="936">
<div abp="937">

<div abp="938">
<div abp="939">
<div abp="941">
<div abp="942">Stuck Filter Look here ..... http://www.noteownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic5816_post33848.html#33848

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
nice guide flash

·
Registered
165 Posts
are there two types of air filter? I think my original one was charcoal activated - it was greyish in colour (not from dirt) and the replacement I got was pure white ie with no charcoal in it. Is there two different options / part numbers does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There maybe the charcoal ones are 2-3 times the price as I had one in my Corsa

looked it up in the Nissan fast it was used for 2 years the sus'd for the standard filter, but you can still get them from a motor factors for £7-8 quidEdited by: flash22

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did some digging into this yesterday, mostly to reconfirm what part options are available from Nissan. Answer - only one version -Nissan only list one part number, and that's a standard white particle filter (without carbon). The P/N has superseded to the one available now from Nissan.
The cars were equipped with activated carbon filters from new but these don't appear to be available from Nissan as spares. It isn't serviced by Renault either, for Clio/Modus.

I know the original equipment manufacturer of these, and they've helped me out before with one-off supplies of "hard-to-get" original cabin filters for my previous cars.

The brand name is "Corteco" (Micronair). The standard white particle filter has been in range for some time so available from Corteco distributors now. The activated carbon versionit isn't yet in their range for aftermarket sales but should be launched and stocked in a month or two - so April/May 2013. It will be more expensive that the white particle filter. A web search will show several French parts distributors currently selling both versions, so you can see the physical differences from their product photos.

I have a local Corteco distributor (motor factor) so will check availability (and price!) with them in a couple of months.

Luckily I kept my car's original filter and closing cap. The filter was still very clean but I guess the carbon may have had its day. Still, it could be refitted and used again. My car's running without a filter at the moment to assess whether that improves the feeble airflow from the ventilation system. I conclude so far that it makes no real difference!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it makes a big difference to a car around town and on motorway journeys if you use the air con and/or heater at all it cuts all the dirt and debris from coming into contact with heater matrix (and motors on climate) for the sake of a four quid worth of filter its not worth the risk

there plenty of places that do the carbon filter and thay arnt that hard to get

one of many places and my local motor factors keep them on the shelf

http://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/car...5/10363/air-filter-passenger-compartment.html

the carbon filter isn't listed under the note (superseded by the standard part) in the 2013 Nissan fast but it is for the micra (same filter)

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
I think I'm right when I say, the carbon reduces the smells, and the actual filter reduces the dust, dirt and debris.I have, in the past, obtained sheets of carbon 'infused' filter fibre, that was originally designed for aircon units and cooker hoods.
I wonder.....in the words of Jeremy Clarkson.......'How hard can it be', just to replace the element and graft it on to the fitting.

It was cheap enough to buy a good few years ago, and the size of the sheet was enough to make a dozen or so filters, for the Note.

As for me...I'll stick to the four quid replacement.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thats quite right. The regular filters are easy to get. Dealer, motor factor, online, etc etc. and at various costs.

The filteralso keeps the ventilation system cleaner too so worth having it in place. My comment about temporarily discarding mine doesn't diminish its value. I wanted to assess whether better airfow resulted without it. Answer - not really. I will refit my filter when I get 5 mins.

Yes, same heater box - Note, Micra K12E,Clio III, Modus - same cabin filters.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the filter is self supporting and you need to squeeze it to get it in the hole

yes carbon is a cleaning medium for air and water and does reduce bacteria and nasty niffs

·
Registered
52 Posts
I attempted to change the filter myself. I ended up putting the screws back again as I couldn't get the last screw out (upper far left) and now the middle upper screw wont fit in like there is nothing there to put it on so now its missing the middle screw =(

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have to jiggle the glovebox about also there are u shaped clips

You need to get the angle of the screws right

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It is just possible to replace the cabin filter without removing the glove box, I have just done it but i'm now off to the chiropracter to put my joints back in place as you need to be young and flexible to do it without injury.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The guide is here for the novice and those not into cars and greasy bits

If you open the passenger side door put some thing on the floor to kneel on you can reach to the back and pull the cover off then pull the filter

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
mine didn't have the seprate cover (valeo filter) replaced it with another unit that had a flexible top latch part that made it easier to fit in but as I get older and stiffer ( twisted and bent spine from 7th down 13th which is trapping the radial nerves to my left arm) I will remove the glove box next time.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I raise you 2 fused vertebrae, a worn shoulder and a dislocated collar bone as well as AS and RA and 15-20 yearsyounger
I use to be able to do an engine swap in a morning now I cant even change a wheel, like many things you get the job done then end up paying for it, for the next week in agony

·
Registered
151 Posts
did ours the other day, wow what a difference its made. was totally blocked and needed putting in the bin. fitted the new one with glove box in place, very tight but got it in the end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the really useful pictures and advice on how to replace the cabinfilter on my wife's 09 Note.
Eventually managed to get the filter back into the slot, but is it me being hamfisted or did the Nissan (?)designer of the filter fail every examin the book due to lack of spatial awareness?The aperture is clearly smaller than the filter height, necessitating breaking the upper plastic up-stand near the outer end, just to getthe filter into placeand clipped shut.... Why have 25mm of rigid plastic there? Was it cost saving just to allow use ofa standarditem that fits other Renault/Dacia models?
Another faff was finding that the dinky little metal clips for the screws securing glovebox kept falling off their locations when offering up the glovebox at the end of the operation. What could have been a 15 minute operation took an hour instead. Grrrr.

While on the same gripe-fest, anyone else find loads of water accumulates on the scuttle in front of the screen where the wipers rest? All the drain holes provided are located to the left hand side, away from the deepest section where the wiper spindles are located.... dodgy if it freezes solid and you turn the wipers on....

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Birdman said:
Hi

Thanks for the really useful pictures and advice on how to replace the cabinfilter on my wife's 09 Note.
Eventually managed to get the filter back into the slot, but is it me being hamfisted or did the Nissan (?)designer of the filter fail every examin the book due to lack of spatial awareness?The aperture is clearly smaller than the filter height, necessitating breaking the upper plastic up-stand near the outer end, just to getthe filter into placeand clipped shut.... Why have 25mm of rigid plastic there? Was it cost saving just to allow use ofa standarditem that fits other Renault/Dacia models?
Another faff was finding that the dinky little metal clips for the screws securing glovebox kept falling off their locations when offering up the glovebox at the end of the operation. What could have been a 15 minute operation took an hour instead. Grrrr.

While on the same gripe-fest, anyone else find loads of water accumulates on the scuttle in front of the screen where the wipers rest? All the drain holes provided are located to the left hand side, away from the deepest section where the wiper spindles are located.... dodgy if it freezes solid and you turn the wipers on....

there should be two drain holes just at the bottom of each wiper blade axis, they usually need regular poking out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Found out about the external 2 drain holes under the wiper blades the hard way! They were blocked solid on a brand new car. It was only when I scooped all the rainwater out that I discovered two holes totally silted up. It's one of those things that you don't forget, once known.
lindar

1 - 20 of 32 Posts