Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my renewal quote from eSure.

They have changed the T&Cs to a condition that I, and I imagine a great many people cannot meet.

External doors have to have a BS 3621 Mortise deadlock or rimlock. (Can't be fitted to UPVC double glazed doors: these have multi-point locking.

Burglar alarm must be fitted working and regularly inspected under a service contract with an intruder alarm company. WTF!!!!

'Phoned them, and they don't want to know, go elsewhere sir.

So that is another load of needless worry and time to get the place insured

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Most accept key operated multipoint locking as an acceptable alternative to rim locks as long as the euro cylinder (common on patio doors) is of the BS approaved non-drill type. The non-BS ones are a 'piece of p*ss' to remove (Google it).
I had to explain to Churchill that I could not meet their requirement for a 'five lever' deadlock on my final exit doors as both already had seven lever locks. Much mming and aahing on the phone before they accepted.

Churchill also do not require my alarm to be eith NACOSS installed or inspected. I suspect that they only require this to give you the pitiful discount on your premium anyway.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Panic over

Been on GoCompare and a nice man from polycyexpert.co.uk rang me back, and I got identical cover at an identical price, having spotted they are the number 1 on reviewcentre.com, multipoint locks unserviced alarm and all.

My Eurocylinder is a Garrison Mul-t-lock. I saw a video on lock bumping, made a bump key from a spare key for another lock and bumped the old cylinder first time, so that went

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I have the Garrisons as well with supplementary seven lever mortise locks (one of the advantages of aluminium over uPVC). They are not cheap but are easy to fit and are far less than my policy excess!
I had forgotten the term 'bumping' it's frighteningly easy though isn't it?

Edited by: Nigel B

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very, I did it including making the key in 10 minutes, and I'm not even a locksmith

The frightening part is it leaves no marks on the outside of the lock, so it is as if you left the place unlocked, or let the burglars have a key, and your insurance won't want to pay out

"Doesn't happen Sir" I was told when I went to the locksmiths to get a better cylinder, I can't see why not, as all the doors round here were fitted by the same firm, using the same locks, so one bump key will open the whole estate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts