Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just joined the forum as I'm puzzled with the noise my 2008 note is making.

The noise is a high pitched screaming sound that becomes noticeable after about 10 / 15 minutes of driving.

In the main, the general engine noise masks the sound, however when the engine is switched off the noise continues but fades to silence over 3 or 4 seconds.

On checking with the bonnet up, there doesn't appear to be any moving parts....

The noise sounds like its coming from the near side...

It been into a garage but... No joy as yet.. Anyone heard of such a problem?

Cheers,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Boysie,

It's a 2008 petrol, sure its 1.4cc.

As mentioned, the main belts on the v-pulleys are not moving when the noise is still there and fades away...

I'm wondering if there's still a moving part after the engine is switched off? Maybe an electrical noise from an electrical relay??

I'm grateful for any pointers.

Pete

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jymmer,
Thanks for this,

Yes, high pitched whistling kettle but it has oscillation that slows over the short time.

Pete

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hmm, i did have an old landrover years ago with a leak from a turbo hose that had similar symptoms.
I guess you'll need to painstakingly go over all pipework in the nearside area until you pinpoint it, or until the issue gets worse and should become more obvious. And sadly you can't rule out other sources either. Cars are pests when they go wrong...good luck and let us know when you do get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, i did have an old landrover years ago with a leak from a turbo hose that had similar symptoms.
I guess you'll need to painstakingly go over all pipework in the nearside area until you pinpoint it, or until the issue gets worse and should become more obvious. And sadly you can't rule out other sources either. Cars are pests when they go wrong...good luck and let us know when you do get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It may seem a dumb suggestion, but go back to basics... Try to find a cheap stethoscope on eBay/Amazon and chase around the side of the engine you think the sound is coming from.. It's always worked for me in the past.... 👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some fantastic ideas to follow up with, have the car booked into the garage as I think the catalytic converter is failing....

Will advise any feedback from garage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts