Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
my wife has a Nissan note 1.4 petrol on an 09 plate. a while ago the EML light came on so took it to a local Garage who hooked up to a code reader. Fault was a multiple misfire. so after a chat with the garage we decided to change the plugs (one of which looked as if it had, had its day), how ever EML went off then came back on had it checked again same fault, multiple misfire. who ever during this time we had no loss of power. just that the rev counter fluctuating on start up. but once warm settled. anyway the EML would come then go off after a few days then stay off for a while then come on again. but with no loss of power. then The EML came on and it sounded like car was miss firing so took it back to garage, this time fault read as a cam sensor fault, had it changed, EML went off then back on again then went off seemed to be ok, for a few days. Then it came came back on again, took it back to garage as it started cutting out harder to start. again fault was cam sensor, so the garage changed the sensor again under warranty, told it was ready so went to pick it up and within a few hours EML came back on. I took it out for a spin started 1st time went to a fuel station to fill it for my wife ready for work. on the Monday again started 1st time, went down the local bypass pulled into a layby switched engine off, made a phone call, then had a hard job to restart it.
told my wife she had to use my car for work and i would use her's. started 1st time on Monday morning drove to work. at the end of my shift i could not start the dam thing. after trying for 20 mins i called out the RAC, the mechanic, stripped the air box off, checked the cam sensor which was the fault showing on his computer, came to the conclusion that as it was its 2nd cam sensor in less than 3 weeks it couldn't be that. i told hime that a few petrol heads i work with thought it was more likly to the Crank sensor, at 1st he dismissed it, but after puting everything back together, it still would not start. he decided to check the Crank sensor he didn't take it all the way out but when put bak into place the car started.
i drove it home, once home turned it off then back on again started straight up. However next moring took 20mins to start it. drove it to the garage and asked them to change the crank sensor, and sort out a the air box as RAC man had snapped a few bolts on it. they changed the sensor but told me that they took it for a test drive and the EML cam back on, and they had no clue as to why fault showing CAM sensor again. thats where i am up to, any help would be most gratfull. (while trying to start the car i got better results locking the car and then unlocking before trying to start it worked most of the time).

·
Registered
740 Posts
It may be a long shot but all the time the car was worked on, did any ot the technicians check the wiring for faults ?
Not just visually but properly with an appropriate tester, wiring gets brittle when it gets hot and the wires used by Nissan aren't the best to begin with, one could be broken at some point along it's length causing the problem.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
It may be a long shot but all the time the car was worked on, did any ot the technicians check the wiring for faults ?
Not just visually but properly with an appropriate tester, wiring gets brittle when it gets hot and the wires used by Nissan aren't the best to begin with, one could be broken at some point along it's length causing the problem.

Sorted your Note yet?????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not as yet. fault code is still showing as Cam sensor, Even thou I have tried 2 different one. I have come to the conclusion that it must be a wiring fault and am great full for the info regarding this. I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to tracing a wiring fault on a car. but through my Job i am getting better. I have had a second Garage recommended to me, and that has been approved also by the RAC. so if i fail myself on weekend i will take it there.

my 1st instinct would be to check the wiring around the cam sensor terminal and also the Crank senor terminals, is there any other area i should look at, please?

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
When the grand daughter had a problem with one of her sensors, as the new one packed up, it was found to be a bad joint in the plug that plugged into the sensor. Cut back, soldered new plug, all was fine. That was on a VW Polo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the air box and checked all seals, and changed to cam sensor again, and well the good news is the car is now starting up, and when warm purrs like a kitten, still has a misfire on it and slight lack of power.
interior light needs to be off when starting, and if it doesn't start 1st time need to lock and unlock car. when started EML still comes on.
Auto Electrician coming out to it on Monday afternoon. so hopefully will be sorted for the holidays. But at least i can use the dam thing while the MRs runs around in my car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Auto electrician, i think has cracked it. the Post CAT sensor is/has failed, as it is not switching between rich and lean as it is supposed to it stays on lean all the time, so will change it this weekend and see what the out come is. and let you know. he checked the system using a code reader that reads live data from the engine. i will up date this thread once changed and let you know the results. thanks guys

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Auto electrician, i think has cracked it. the Post CAT sensor is/has failed, as it is not switching between rich and lean as it is supposed to it stays on lean all the time, so will change it this weekend and see what the out come is. and let you know. he checked the system using a code reader that reads live data from the engine. i will up date this thread once changed and let you know the results. thanks guys

Get him to change both sensors as it is normally a failure in the first one that drags down the second without actually throwing a fault of it's own until the second one is changed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get him to change both sensors as it is normally a failure in the first one that drags down the second without actually throwing a fault of it's own until the second one is changed.

It Turned out that the Timing chain had over stretched, according to Nissan the chain can stretch up 10mm and still be fine, but ours had stretched to an incredible 16mm, the Garage im used showed me before he removed it. supprised it didn't snap. after hefty bill as engine had to be removed to change it, car is running like a dream now, So it should with the new parts and money thrown at it. but wife is happy thats what counts :)

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I have never heard of a chain stretching by so much without going 'bang'.

Delighted that you got it sorted.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Thank goodness the chain was replaced before busting.
Close call cos that would have been a disaster.
This is a good pointer for other owners with similar symptoms.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts