Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi members, I'm hoping you can help me please.

My 2010 automatic Note (tekna) was fine all day, I nipped home for half an hour and then it wouldn't start. No noises except for a clicking sound that seems to come from the glove box area. Battery light came on so I assumed I'd left something on, but then the rear wiper suddenly started moving (it wasn't on as it keeps stopping) and the radio said it needed a code. Not had that from a flat before.

My husband jump started the car and I hoped all was well. Not so. When I was about to drive off to charge up the battery, I slowly turned right and as I turned the steering wheel, the power briefly cut out (the radio asked for the code again), the steering wheel juddered strongly and the coolant warning light came on. I turned the steering wheel back to straighten up the car and everything went back to normal. The warning light went off.

I checked the antifreeze and it seems really low (can't see any in the overflow tank) - is this significant?

Should I get a new battery or could it be a fuse/alternator/other issue?

Any advice gratefully received as my Nissan dealership are a bit inconsistent.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Did your husband disconnect the battery and clean the battery lugs and clamps, it sounds like a bad connection, if the radio keeps asking for the code? Lucky you know it. Have you had the battery tested lately?
Do you have a recommended independent garage around your way, you can go too, not a Nissan Stealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your reply Silverhairs. He didn't disconnect or clean - and I'm really hoping it's a simple fix - but the juddering steering wheel and warning light is making me think this isn't just a battery issue.

The battery won't hold a charge so fingers crossed it's that. We'll try that this afternoon.

Thanks again, and yes, I agree with the independent garage comment!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
On a car over three years old NEVER take it to a dealer unless absolutely necessary.

If you are on the original battery it has done remarkably well (normal life is five years as a maximum).

Was it a repeated clicking when you tried to start? If so the battery is, to use a well-known technical term, knackered and needs replacing.

A tired/dead battery will throw up all kinds of faults including random screen wiping, and a dash the looks like a really bad disco.

I would also top up and monitor your coolant level as that will not be battery related.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The power steering is electric, and takes a very large current when the car is moving slowly, as it takes more effort to wrench the wheels across the tarmac.

So with a duff battery, or poor connections, twirling the steering could very well drop the voltage low enough to make all kinds of electrical glitches happen.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
On one of your posts you also say that the battery won't hold it's charge? Is the alternator giving out the correct charge in the first place? Could be worth finding out.

But I still think it's your battery. Have you a local "Euro Car Parts" near you? They are giving 35% off batteries at the moment, just click and collect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for your replies - this forum is invaluable. This is the second issue I've had with my Note in less than six monthsand both times this site has come to the rescue!

Nigel B, thanks for your reply; it was a repeated clicking so I am really hoping a new battery will resolve these weird faults and disco-light dashboard.

Mnl, thanks for your perspective - I thought I had really knackered something but your comment makes a lot of sense.

Silverhairs - that's a great recommendation, thank you so much! I'll head down there tomorrow as there is one nearby. I think the loss of charge is because I haven't recharged it correctly in the first place.

I'll add the solution when I have one for any future Note drivers with a similar issue.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
When did you last recharge the battery? If your alternator is giving out the correct voltage, there is no need to manually charge the battery. I've had my car from new (2011) and I've never had to manually charge my battery. Last year it refused to crank over, I was puzzled, in the middle of nowhere, so called out the breakdown, when he came, he tested the battery, and found it was that, he got me going again, went to my local garage to make sure the alternator was giving the correct voltage out, then, my daughter took me straight down to E.C.P. and got a new one. Since then, no more problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had a similar problem the battery was changed but the problem continued . A local Auto electrical company has now diagnosed a problem with the stop start module its drain the battery to a point that the car wont start after standing for 2 days. I have just had the quote from Nissan for a replacement unit. using the stop start is going take 1000s of litres of fuel to recoup the cost. I hope you don't have the same problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts