Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.I am considering buying a year old Note a 1.5 N-Tec, that is if its not sold before my awaited funds come through.
I came across the club while googling for more information on this car.
What I want is a relative new small car thats economical. The Note appeals a lot because of the variation in the luggage space available. I want to take up camping which I haven't done for years and need the extra space to carry the extra comforts that I need now that I am getting on a bit
You guys have got me a bit worried, I see pages and pages of faults and complaints.
Are you all happy with your car?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Welcome!

The first thing to realise is that we only really have one section for people to post how wonderful their Note is: the gallery.

Most people don't bother to post "My note is fine, it carries my shopping and didn't break down", they only post when something goes wrong.

There isn't much that actually goes wrong, the body electronics control unit occasionally, (all make car forums are full of posts about these failing) the dreaded knock from the front suspension, that no-one really knows what it is, and the paint shedding from the alloy wheels, (again most makes suffer from this, because of environmental regulations preventing the use of adequate primers)

I'm ok with mine, although I actually prefer to drive either of our two other cars, I'm just not comfortable with the windscreen being so far away, and not having the faintest idea where the front is. Once I'm actually in it, it drives quietly and smoothly, and goes well enough, it's just lacking in character/soul I suppose.
It also has a long wheelbase in a short body, which I find makes it awkward to park, but you get used to not turning straight into a space as you are passing by.

One thing that did surprise me was that the rear space actually seems the same as my old Corsa-C, at least my push bike seems to fit with exactly the same amount of space: I was expecting a clear foot of space between the rear door and the handlebars. I wish I'd had a tape measure to the Corsa while I still had it, I just assumed that an extra foot of car would give an extra foot of space.

Take a long test drive and see how you like it, I wouldn't be put off by faults, they are rare.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
welcome to the forum
If your only doing short runs and not alot of milesthe diesel may not be the right choice

Any questions please ask

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply.I have notowned, ordrivena car for 20 years or so and when I sat in the Note my first concern was not being able to see the front, but thought this would apply to most cars around today.
For my sins I have been a bus driver for most of my working life.
Thanks once again for your advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.short runs most of the year but almost full length of the country 2, 3 or more times a year

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
As Flash22 says, a modern diesel is not suited to that sort of life. They don't drive like the diesels of 20 years ago, if they are not regularly thrashed until clouds of smoke come out the back you will have no end of problems with emissions and poor running. They also cost a lot more to service.
Some have a container of "magic fluid" hidden under the bonnet, each time you open the fuel flap, it squirts a measured quantity of fluid out. So if you keep topping up rather than going from full to empty, it runs out quickly, then costs £300 to replace and reset the computer

Try the 1.4 petrol if you are after cheap running costs, most people on here with them are perfectly happy.

As far as visibility goes, the Note is an awful lot better than most new cars, they have A pillars that can hide an aircraft carrier when you are trying to emerge from a junction. (This likely means I haven't been caught out by the Notes blind spot yet though)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Welcome to the club Tommy. I have a 60 plate diesel N-Tec and so far it's been great! You won't believe the stuff I've had in it...last week I got a king size mattress in the back. It has also been used to transport motorcycle engines, fridge freezers, a cooker and baby cot, not to mention FIVE elephants (2 in the front, 2 in the back and 1 in the TRUNK). MPG is around the mid 50's on average, most of it being local driving with an occasional motorway run...just remember to reset the mpg meter when you get it so you can get a true reading according to your driving style. Speaking of motorways, the extra torque of the diesel is worth considering over the 1.4 petrol...overtaking is easy, and you can cruise at 80 mph all day and never raise your voice over the engine. No faults to report so far after 18 months of use, so I'm very happy with it. I'm sure you will be too!

Edited by: SneakyElephant

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guysafter the earlier replies I've been swotting up DPFs. confusing apparently manufacturers are are producing diesel "Town Car" when they are not actually suitable for town use.
I would probably be giving the car what is recommended as the regeneration run once a month, as to short journeys I would probably walk so it may stand 2 or 3 days a week. I would probably do without a car but with being newly retired if I wake up one morning and fancy setting off as long as I have £50 or so for fuel and the cost of the campsite, the New Forest or Cornwall here I come and they are a fair way from West Yorkshire.
Grateful for your opinions. Cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
Young tommy, the DPF on diesels once the system reports there is a problem you would need to run the car at over 40mph for a certain amount of time to clear the build up of particles, the handbook should explain what to do ( or not if its the same handbook i got)

if it blocks then the filter would need tobe changed which i am led to believe is not cheap,

i dont have a diesel but did look into it before going for my 1.6 petrol Tekna auto, as most of my driving is to and from work through huddersfield then i decided that the diesel was not for me...

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
the dpf are around £1k to replace and 90% of new diesels have them to comply with the euro 3/4 emissions

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Which you will need to comply with when Boris extends the LEZ to cover cars (unless you never go within 50 miles of London)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi,

I've had my Note 1.4 Petrol since April and used it around town and long journeys of a few hundred miles. It was 11 months old when I bought it. Its been superb, really comfortable and gettingaround48 mpg. The only thing I'm not keen on is the privacy glass which is very dark and at night it might as well be a panel van for rear visibility. The visibility forward is fine but you really dont know where the front is. My previous car was much more powerful and lighter but I am more than happy with the performance. My Note is the newest and most expensive car I have ever had and it is easily the best. There is a good choice of Notes so drive as many as you can, most modern cars are perfectly reliable and only 'magic boxes' go wrong which are sadly now throw away parts full of surface mounted electronics. I think the basic petrol engine is something that is as reliable as it will ever get now. As others have said that people will usually only post when they have a problem or a solution to a problem.

The reality for 99.9% will be, 'went to start my Note this morning....and it started, first turn of the key, got me to work/shop/friend/campsite without any problems and got me home again'

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi. Everybodyre the D P F filter, I have been reliably informed that the Note does not have one. Nissan only fit them to the larger engined cars?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
The fact that the Diesel Note DOES have a DPF and has since MY 2010 IIRC is the reason I chose a petrol variant as most of my journies are short commutes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It was after a recent very nasty experience with my DPF kitted diesel of another marque (not nissan) that made me decide there and then to go back to petrol, I mainly do short runs which I guess did the DPF no good at all.....luckily it was a warranty job !!! but you don't want this expense when you Joe Bloggs' has to pay because it is big time money, never ever had problems before from the diesels I had without the DPF....

I am waiting eagerly to pick up my 'new' 1.4 N Tec+...it was going to be a used one....until I was talked/persuaded into new because of the deals offered by the dealer which made the difference between new and 11 month old vehicles seem that new was the way to go.....only if the deal is`done for July it would seem....

I can only say I never want to ever experience what happened again with our DPF clad diesel !!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The car I am getting as 11 plate, I talked to the salesman about my concern with diesel engined cars. he told methat afterchecking with the service manager the Note does not have a DPF.Its a very reputable firm, you know the one that has supermarkets, funeral parlours etc. I will have double check it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well....I can only say that the marque of car I had was diesel and all their diesels are fitted with DPF's since Sept 2010.... and Fords as well I am informed, so alarmed was my friend that had a Fiesta diesel immediately went back to petrol when he heard of my very horrible experience and one I intend not to want again..... I hope you find your salesman knows what he is on about !!!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
late 59 onwards have the DPF on the the k9k engines to comply with the euro emissions

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Cheers Flash.

My dealer (who doesn't do funerals
) was quite clear about the advantages and disadvantages of DPF's. They get quite a few 'short run' vehicles in for 'problems'. Often they can be cured with a sustained 40mph 'run' for 15-20 miles. If they can't it's a new DPF and they are the best part of a grand!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi chaps,

Its also worth "noting" (do you see what I did there?!
) that a diesel of any kind probably isn't the best choice for short runs anyway. Its just that it's especially important with DPFs fittted, although over time I'm sure the problems will be reolved. At the end of the day it was the same scary times when CATs first appeared on petrols.

Saying that, I personally still prefer a diesel over a petrol and understand fully why people go for them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts