Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Our lease car was coming up to the end of its term and we didn't really want another - I don't like the fact that we worry about where we park it in the supermarket car park in case it gets a ding. Anyhow, had a look around and a local garage was selling a 64 reg diesel Note in black. Low mileage and a fairly decent price so picked it up. Great car. Quite nippy - once moving if I knock the 'Eco' button off then it shifts. More pleased with the mpg - getting between 45 - 55 around town (we'd struggle to get 30 mpg in the Karoq) and just got 67 mpg on a 500 mile trip to see the parents - so I'm happy - not that I'm tight but I don't like spending money if I can avoid it.

Anyhow, the engine warning light came on on Wednesday evening. No loss of power - steady amber and red light. Looked in the manual which sort of suggested it was water in the fuel filter. Took it to a back street garage who advised that it was a turbo boost issue. Charged me £60 for the privilege and reset the light (didn't do any work other than reset the light). The light has come on again now so I've ordered an OBD2 reader that can apparently reset the light. I'll reset it and see if it comes on again (and see if it's the same code). It came on after I'd been on the motorway for a while at a steady 70 - pulled in for a Subway - set off thirty minutes later and after about twenty minutes of steady 70mph, the lights came on. Same thing happened today - 40 miles of 'A' road driving and then 60 miles at a steady 70 mph, pulled in for a Burger King, set off after half an hour, about twenty minutes later the lights come on.

I'll likely post of in one of the technical forums later asking for advice of how to use the OBD2 reader and other stuff.

In the meantime I'll go and have a surf around the site. This is my first Nissan that I've had and I keep noticing new stuff every day.

·
Super Moderator
1,894 Posts
Hi and Welcome, TheBlackNote.
I'm sure there's a clever chap here that could give a better idea of the problem. What year is your Note please. Did you get any warranty with it, I would think it's down to the local garage to fix it. As it could be 'not fit for purpose'.?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I agree with Boysie.
You usually get a three month warranty on a used car ( at least i always have ) so go back and ask them to sort it out for you. Maybe best to not mention going to another garage or they could wheedle their way out of the warranty assuming you have one, tell them you read the code and don't know what it meant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. The car is just out of the warranty - it came with a month with a recommendation to get an RAC extended warranty. I was going to get that warranty but will be a bit more pro active about it - two years is under £400.

Got my OBDII reader - plugged it in and it is the same code - Turbo Underboost problem. Cleared the error and will see whether it comes on again when I do the same journey in a few weeks time. DD will be with me so we'll be doing a steady motorway followed by a stop followed by steady motorway again. Will see if that triggers it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Have a look at the following -
Potential causes of a P0299 turbo underboost code include: Intake (induction) air restriction or leak. Failed or damaged turbocharger (sticking, binding, etc.) Faulty boost/charge pressure sensor.
The EGR valve is likely to stick and become coked up on some applications. BTN Turbo warns that this can have a significant effect on turbocharger performance. A faulty EGR valve can result in excessive carbon/soot at the turbine end, causing the VNT mechanism to stick.
Also have a read of this if you haven't already - P0299 Turbocharger/Supercharger A Underboost Condition

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The car is just out of the warranty - it came with a month with a recommendation to get an RAC extended warranty.
Look at the Consumer Rights Act 2015 Consumer Rights Act 2015 - Which? Consumer Rights It states quite clearly that any fault that occurs within the first 6 months is assumed to have been present when bought. This legislation is above and beyond any guarantee offered by the seller and they cannot refuse to act upon it. If they do legal action would soon make them realise that trying it on will not work.

I was going to get that warranty but will be a bit more pro active about it - two years is under £400.
Aftermarket warranties are generaly not worth the paper they are written on. So many exclusions, basically aything that can be considered wear and tear and since cars wear out as we drive that is everthing.

Even if you found a really good one it would not cover your existing issue and since it seems to be turbo related could be very expensive.

You say in your first post

64 reg diesel Note in black. Low mileage
and that is probably the worst type of used car you could buy today (and not just the Note, any modern low mileage diesel). They are fitted with DPF's which require decent mileages to be covered, ideally at least 15,000 miles a year and definitely no regular short runs. If the DPF becomes blocked it will cause a fault light and this could be identified as turbo related unless you have specific Nissan diagnostics (generic ones do not always interpret the fault correctly). No warranty covers the DPF (not even Nissans new car warranty - they charge about £150 for a forced regen for starters) and I doubt if the above legislation would help unless you proved there was an issue with the DPF when you bought the car, difficult to say the least without an expert opinion. DPF's are not cheap unfortunately but if you remove it (some companies offer the service) you car would be an MOT failure and if caught in the meantime would be considered to be illegal for road use. It would also affect your insurance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your reply. I'll look into the legalities of the warranty.
If a car has had a forced regen in the past (as part of the service when I picked it up), would a low mileage still be an issue?
We did think about what mileage we would be putting on the car with it being a diesel - three or four short trips a week and then one or two medium trips - 25 mile each way on relatively fast 'A' roads. Then the occasional long trip - 200 miles with about 100 of those miles on a motorway. These would be about every six months but the one I did last week I will be doing again in about three weeks (aged parents visiting).
I have had a look in the manual and although it has a dpf symbol in there - I can't see one on the dash. However, would a dpf block (or put out a blocked code) during a longish motorway journey?

·
Registered
134 Posts
If a car has had a forced regen in the past (as part of the service when I picked it up), would a low mileage still be an issue?
Its not unknown for cars with DPF issues to be traded and then sold on following a forced regen with the seller hoping it would get past the end of their "generous" warranty before it came on again. A forced regen is never carried out during a service unless there is an issue and whilst there is plenty of 3rd party software out there that pretends to do the job it only the manufacturers that will. Trouble is once a DPF is up to overr 75% full no regen will fix it, time for a new one. And those that say they can wash them out are lying, the soot is chemically bonded to the platinum matrix and needs 600 degree C heated airflow to burn it off. Problem then is the soot turns to ash and a DPF that is correctly used all its life will eventually block up with ash and nothing will shift that.

QUOTE="TheBlackNote, post: 63858, member: 10078"]
However, would a dpf block (or put out a blocked code) during a longish motorway journey?
[/QUOTE]

If it had previously reached the max soot level and not been properly cleared or there is a faulty sensor the DPF could theoretically block even on a longer journey.

Your problem is you have bought a 6 year old car and you have no idea how its been driven and treated during those 6 years. And although you say its low mileage they can get clocked, have you checked the on-line MOT history of the car click here Check the MOT history of a vehicle all you need is your reg no. That could shed light on any dodgy history or previous emissions problems.e.g if the engine light was on at any previous MOT it would have been a fail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked the MOT history before I bought the car. The only issues were advisories for worn rear tyres which is strange for the mileage - I assume that the tyres had been rotated. I always put the most grip on the back and if getting the fronts replaced, get the new tyres on the back and the back ones put on the front. Anyhow, that's an aside.
The mileage on the MOT checker looks correct - although they have recorded it incorrectly for the last MOT that they did when I bought it - it's had 10,000 miles added onto it - will have to advise the DVLA to change.
There is no loss of power to the car at all. I would expect a blocked DPF to make the car feel asthmatic. 0 to about 20 in eco isn't startling (but I've just come from a car with a 0 - 60 of about 8 seconds). Once moving, the car will pull very happily, will easily rev and pull under load. Turn the 'ECO' button off and it nicely shifts. For a car with a 0 - 60 of 11.5 seconds, if feels where it should be.
It's unfortunate that there appears to be no way of telling whether the DPF is doing a regen, whether it is 10% clogged - 50% clogged or 90% clogged.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Checked the MOT history before I bought the car. The only issues were advisories for worn rear tyres which is strange for the mileage - I assume that the tyres had been rotated. I always put the most grip on the back and if getting the fronts replaced, get the new tyres on the back and the back ones put on the front. Anyhow, that's an aside.
The mileage on the MOT checker looks correct - although they have recorded it incorrectly for the last MOT that they did when I bought it - it's had 10,000 miles added onto it - will have to advise the DVLA to change.
There is no loss of power to the car at all. I would expect a blocked DPF to make the car feel asthmatic. 0 to about 20 in eco isn't startling (but I've just come from a car with a 0 - 60 of about 8 seconds). Once moving, the car will pull very happily, will easily rev and pull under load. Turn the 'ECO' button off and it nicely shifts. For a car with a 0 - 60 of 11.5 seconds, if feels where it should be.
It's unfortunate that there appears to be no way of telling whether the DPF is doing a regen, whether it is 10% clogged - 50% clogged or 90% clogged.
Whilst none of the above can be argued against i wouldn't personally get TOO anxious about the diesel note.
Hands up mine is a petrol, but my wifes Ford Focus 2ltr diesel is ten years old and has covered 72,000 miles.
It has the usual dpf filter and egr valve.
She has used it for short work commutes of 3 miles each way for several years and it's never skipped a beat.
We do take it on a good long motorway blast every so often, and it's been so good we'd not want to change it.
I envisage that we'll run it until it falls off it's wheels.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Whilst none of the above can be argued against i wouldn't personally get TOO anxious about the diesel note.
Hands up mine is a petrol, but my wifes Ford Focus 2ltr diesel is ten years old and has covered 72,000 miles.
It has the usual dpf filter and egr valve.
She has used it for short work commutes of 3 miles each way for several years and it's never skipped a beat.
We do take it on a good long motorway blast every so often, and it's been so good we'd not want to change it.
I envisage that we'll run it until it falls off it's wheels.
Difference is Focus diesels use EOLYS to aid the regen because of the location of the DPF (common to every installation of these PSA sourced engines). Whilst it costs a few pounds to replenish the tank when empty (it depends on the number diesel fill ups) it does result in very few DPF issues on these cars.

NOTE - EOLYS should not be confused with the cheaper Ad Blue.

Proof that just because one diesel with DPF has few issues does not mean others don't.

You need to compare apples with apples.

·
Registered
772 Posts
What aspects of my post make you think that I have a blocked DPF?
I'm sure DIG-S will get back to you on that question mate!
But one thing also comes to mind... and that is, that during the last year that I've regularly (daily) visited this forum, i remember very little complaints of dodgy diesels.
I've seen plenty of posts mentioning the superb mpg though.
Also it crosses my mind that the 1.5 unit has and does still provide power to the Renault range and to my (granted) limited knowledge has been well respected over many years.
Now obviously we come to the tightening of emissions over those years, and that's the issue.
The egr and dpf's are developed...but until every other post daily states "my diesel is crap" i personally wouldn't get too anxious.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What aspects of my post make you think that I have a blocked DPF?
Well you have a fault light on and having only used a back street garage (your words) to do the diagnostics and pay for the privilege you still have the light on.

The engine light can mean many things but only dealer level diagnostics have a real chance of pinning it down. The DPF diesels we have had (non were Nissans - Ford, BMW, Kia) used the engine light to warn of a blocked DPF but since our Note was a DIG-S (to avoid any potential DPF issues with the wifes reduced mileage) I have no idea if its same on a Note. The handbook might give you a clue or a trip to a Nissan dealer.

The 1.5 Nissan/Renault diesel has a pretty good reputation for being robust and having fewer than average DPF issues. But yours is 6 years old and in the territory where low mileage use can bite you in the wallet.

Ever considered that the previous owner had the exact same issue and having thrown money at the car with no results decided to offload it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts