Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Not been on the site for a while. I see it’s been revamped.
So, goodbye Note. Had a prang on Thursday 6th. Turned left from side road onto dual carriageway. Near side, cars approaching at about 200-300 yards away. Yes, I can get round, give it a bit of gas and nothing will have to slow down behind me. Turn in left, just about straight and BANG! Some bloody transit van decided to change lanes, maybe looked in the mirror too long or just didn’t pay attention. Course, he said he was signaling left. Done my side small wing in front of driver door, front bumper completely ripped off and smashed the plastic/glass headlight. Cop van just up the road and took each of our details to swap. Off of the road into a side road and a four hour wait for the insurance approved recovery van. Had dashcam footage but just showed me turning then getting walloped. Insurance legal said he fully understands how I feel other driver is to blame but,,, they can’t prove that. Means I and my insurers are liable. (I can almost see him now hobbling down to A&E with a 6 hour wait but, worth it as when it’s sorted, him and the Mrs will get that skiing holiday they’ve been pinning for, for years. I await this Monday when they write it off.
So, hello Note. Garage near me has a nice 2013 Note N-Tec 60,000 miles (mine was a 2011 with 55k on the clock) and he’ll let me have it for 4,200.
It’s got the leather trim though and is it worth rubbing in some Nevia cream or anything to delay the dreaded cracking? It looks okay at present and is in pretty good condition. Yep,, I like the older1400cc petrol, manual Notes.
Apart from all that... Hi everyone

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
Something to be said for rear facing camera's, as well as dash items. (y)

Is it real leather, or some fake stuff.? It usually is.

Either way, at least you're ok to tell the tale.:)

Welcome back ex Note owner, and New Note owner. :LOL:

//

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Something to be said for rear facing camera's, as well as dash items. (y)

Is it real leather, or some fake stuff.? It usually is.

Either way, at least you're ok to tell the tale.:)

Welcome back ex Note owner, and New Note owner. :LOL:

//Thanks Boysie. Yes, could have been worse. Both me and the Mrs okay. And, with her as my usual fiercest driving critic,, even she had looked right and had thought it okay to turn out. Let’s face it,, most drivers on the road don’t look right when turning left do they when they’ve manoeuvred out. No! Attention is then on steering onto the lane they’ll be going down. Shame I’ve not got Chameleon eyes. Sure,, I’d get some funny looks when I was out in public but they’d help on today’s roads. Also, it could have been piddling down with rain on that day. She got packed off home (was only a couple of miles) in a mini cab. I doubt if even a side camera would have been enough as said insurance guy said that as I was turning into a major from a minor road and he was the established driver, it was down to me to see. Basically,, saying they can do what the hell they want.
The leather seems real but probably as thin as a cigarette paper if truth be told. I just remember the queries on here regarding it. Well, whatever,,, I’ll live with it. I’ll just be glad to have another Note, knowing it fits onto my concrete base in the back garden with a tight entrance/exit from it.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Don't bother rubbing anything into the 'leather' - it is textured plastic except on the bolsters where it is a fabric-backed apology for leather (so thin that it WILL split no matter what you do).

Glad you got away unscathed though.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The plastic 'leather' is the only bad thing on your replacement car then.
I'd prefer some nice cloth velour whenever possible.
But if the car ticks all the other boxes i guess it's right for you.
It's a pain when you have a nicely running low milage motor and some pillock runs into it.
Only yesterday, i was parked in Tescos waiting for the mrs, and a lady drove her car in next to me and belted my mirror back.
Luckily it folded back unscathed... i politely asked her to go and park somewhere else.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Can you not ask the insurance company if you can swap out the seats from your old car and put the "leather" covered ones in the written off motor ?
Cheeky i know but you never get anything unless you ask.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At least you'll have a car for spares, if you can keep the damaged Note.

//
Nah, not keeping the damaged car. Wouldn’t know what to do with it all anyhow. Yep,, as expected, it did get written of. With what the insurance company are paying me out,, the difference is £1500. So, I’m figuring I got a 2013 Note for that price and that makes me feel a lot better. Picking it up tomorrow after noon. Will soon have a set of Note car mats.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
The only thing to be wary of when fitting aftermarket seat covers is that they must be 'airbag friendly' to allow the seat airbags to deploy should, God forbid, you have an accident.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd try and nip the radio/ sat nav out of the damaged note... Could be needed later and if not there's buyers on ebay...
Didn’t bother getting any of the bits.
I’ve now had the car for 3 weeks and it drives nicely. Although it’s the N-Tec+ plus,, I’d say it’s the N-Tec minus. No under passenger seat storage and no arm rests. Still, I’m not complaining really. My confidence took a real hit with that accident and I drive sort of waiting for the next idiot to do something stupid. My wife and I are definitely looking to move as Greater London and the area (Bexley borough) where we live has become just one massive parking lot. Can’t turn any corner without another car coming, selfishly parked cars everywhere. There’s so many SUV’s on the road taking all the road space. My wife and I call them,, tanks. Ha! Rant over.
Still, I was s**t lucky to find this motor just when I needed one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
P.s.
Tried out the satnav with putting in a few postcodes and keep getting the dreaded insert sd card. Looks like I'll be investing in a tottom or a garmin.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Good deals on TomToms at the moment and, if you buy a 5200 or 6200 you get lifetime traffic, map updates and safety camera warnings for free.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Nigel,
I take it those connect connect cards they sell on eBay aren’t any good? It looks like the one that’s in the car now is maybe an eBay one from the previous owner as it just has ‘map data’ printed on it and no connect 1 or 2.
I just didn’t think of it at the time when waiting for the old car to be picked up by the repair shop to nip that one out. At the time, I hoped it’d be repairable and had no idea I’d then see this Nissan Note in a dealership less than a mile from where I lived. Talking of lived,,,, you live and learn eh?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
If you pick up the correct SD card then your Connect will function.

The problem is that even with the most recent SD card the data is woefully out of date (by at least 12 months) as it is only compiled and released annually and, in turn, this is based on data collected over the previous 12 months.

So, a 2019 card will have data from late 2017.

My Tom Tom receives a weekly map update (small file that takes <2 minutes to install).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts