Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the Note I bought used came with these nice genuine Nissan roof back bars. Unfortunately I didn't manage to find their key, necessary to dismount it. Of course tried to investigate the matter with the car trader but no luck.

Any thoughts on where I can find a spare key? Websites, private suppliers maybe cheaper than the main dealer?

Do you know if all these genuine Nissan roof rack bars have actually the same universal key?

I don't want to have these bars on top of the car for the rest of its life so any help and suggestion will be very appreciated :wink:

Thanks
Tramontana 1971

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Hi "Tramontana1971, welcome to the forum.
I wouldn't have thought Nissan would have issued all the roof rack bars with the identical keys?
Somebody who wanted to do a trade in Nissan roof bars and flog them on ebay could make a business that's if he or she could find any.

As for any ideas on how to get them off, drill out the locks and get rid.

I expect there are other makes of roof bars out there to satisfy people wanting to fit a roof bar, whether it be on a Note or any other cars?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi silverhairs, thanks for your answer.

Actually on the lock there's a number, 79, so I guess there are a number of different keys and this makes the solution of the problem even more difficult. I am trying to find online a supplier of this type of replacement key but no luck at all so far.

I had your same idea, find a seller of the same roof bar racks with keys, check the key and if is good buy it, keep one key and re-sell the rest for an easy solution. But this number 79 on the lock makes me think this way will not be easy at all.

At this stage, don't want to think to extreme solutions such as angle grinder (lol!) or drilling the lock. Didn't call Nissan yet.

If anyone here has ideas or can help, that would be great and very welcome.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
134 Posts
On the high street near where we live there is an independent lock smith. I would wager that if you drove your car to such a shop they would identify the type of key required in seconds or possibly have a skeleton key to remove it while you wait.

Its what they do everyday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea DIG-S, I'll try this one and of course report the output here to keep track of this matter.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Is it this sort of lock?

Tubular_Lock_and_Key.jpg

They are dead easy to open, any locksmith could do it in seconds.

If it is the type of rack I'm thinking of, the locks just keep a cover on over the fixing screw, and the locks can be removed and replaced with new ones easily (when they are unlocked)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi mnl, unfortunately seems it's something more complicated, have a look at these two photos please.

Apparently it's not a general key but something special, and there's a number on it, "79" that makes me think of a set of different keys.

As DIG-S suggested, I'll try to have a chat with a local locksmith to see if he can come out with a solution or an idea. I have called Nissan UK today but didn't mention them the matter, they talked me about a currently open recall campaigns on the airbags and that "they are not aware" of any common problem on wrong location of the car on Connect 1 gps systems... when Internet instead is full of people complaining about this issue on Note, Juke, Qashqai etc. Not happy of this talk with the guy at the phone tbh.

If you have other ideas on this problem of the Nissan Steel Roof Rack Bars locked with no keys, please shoot.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Is that actually a lock?

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but it looks from those pictures that all you need is something to engage with that wavy nut, and it might turn.

Have you tried gripping across it with some long nosed pliers and twisting it?

·
Registered
781 Posts
It looks very similar to a locking wheel nut to me !
Maybe the suggestion made by Potter will work.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have called Nissan UK today but didn't mention them the matter, they talked me about a currently open recall campaigns on the airbags and that "they are not aware" of any common problem on wrong location of the car on Connect 1 gps systems... when Internet instead is full of people complaining about this issue on Note, Juke, Qashqai etc. Not happy of this talk with the guy at the phone tbh.
Your car is 10 years old. No manufacturer will be interested in your issues.

If you want help you need to buy a new car and even in that instance the fact is simply the manufacturer will not help since the buyer has no contract with them in law. The buyers contract is with the seller who is responsible for sorting any issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Drill a pilot hole in the 79 and use a screw extractor ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have the exact same problem . i have part numbers , can main dealers oblige with new keys. also is there a special tool for tightening the footpad. ere there any measurements regards fitting position

1 - 14 of 14 Posts