Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I'm not sure if I have a problem here or not but thought i'd just ask to see if they're all the same.

I've got a 2010 Note 1.5dci with 27000 on the clock and i've noticed that when you go on and off the gas pedal...noticeable in 4th and 5th that the gearlever moves forwards and backwards a small amount. Could this be a bit of wear in one of the engine or gearbox mountings ?

The car has the two year Nissan extended warranty so if none of yours does it i'll get upto the local Nissan garage to get them to check it out.

Thanks all.

David.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
I've the same motor, and I've done over twice the mileage as yours.

I have the same amount of play. I would expect it from a transverse engine.

Check the engine stabilizer bar mount bushes,(part of the engine mount), that connect to the bulkhead/chassis......easily visible on the left side of the engine as you look at it.

In all honesty, I wouldn't worry unless the gear stick gets like a 1960 Austin Mini item. Which would wave about like a magic wand.

Edited by: Boysie

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Boysie said:
In all honesty, I wouldn't worry unless the gear stick gets like a 1960 Austin Mini item. Which would wave about like a magic wand.

Memories; my first motor DOA532 in Pillar Box Red with the world's longest gear stick. It felt like two foot forward for first and then sit back and pull for second

·
Registered
276 Posts
Boysie said:
I wouldn't worry unless the gear stick gets like a 1960 Austin Mini item. Which would wave about like a magic wand.

I had one of those too - lean well forward out of the seat to reach first gear

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
GeorgeP56 said:
Boysie said:
I wouldn't worry unless the gear stick gets like a 1960 Austin Mini item. Which would wave about like a magic wand.

I had one of those too - lean well forward out of the seat to reach first gear

Yeah...and me being 6ft 4ins, didn't make it easy, especially with a Recaro seat.

Soon fettled in a later gear change remote, and uprated rear mount.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember the long ( stir the porridge) gearlevers...had one on an early mini too many moons ago....
Thanks for the reply about the lever movement. I won't worry about it then...I'm just a bit aware when I go on and off the gas pedal....I'll check the engine stab' bar when I get the chance.

Thanks again all....Happy Easter (what's left of it)

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
My final contribution on this.

My mate and I both bought Minis as our first cars. I never really spent any money on mine (never had any) while Stas (my mate) spent a fair bit on his including trying to fit a 'remote' gear shift. This bolted to the transmission tunnel (couldn't do that with mine as that's where the starter button was). Fitting it meant cutting the long lever to about 1 1/2" in length then using the supplied die to cut a thread and then bolting the remote to it. To aid this it recommended that you put the car in first and then fitted the remote. This ensured that that you bolted it in the right place for maximum 'throw' as the remote only had a limited range of movement. Can you see where this is going?

Car in neutral, Stas cut and died the gearstick and proceeded to fit (which was back in third). Result can't select a gear other then first- remote is fully back, the gearstick is fully forward. Remove remote much unbolting and try to get 1 1/2" gearstick which was used to the 'purchase' of an 18" long shift out of first. We left him to it after two hours and went for a pint!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I'd take it back.

The gear lever is on bowden cables, so it shouldn't move around.

Possibly some wear in the gearbox that will get worse until it starts jumping out of gear on the overrun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts