Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my wife's note 2 weeks ago this friday, in this time I have leant a lot about nissan dealers and the extras they tout.

Under no circumstance take out the dealers Gap insurance, Gap insurance is imho a good thing to have, for those that don't know it effectively covers the short-fall between what your insurer pays out and the purchase price of your car, in the event of a total loss claim, normally covering up to 3 years. The dealer's gap insurance is essentially a cash cow, comission is what it's all about and then when you read the small print and start to ask questions, even more alarming concerns evolve. e.g can you spend your money anywhere and what is the actual maximum payable etc,etc,etc,

If and when you do sign up to a dealer's gap insurance those bold claims of being able to terminate, as you are legally entitled to do so within 14 days, seems to fall on deaf ears, strange that

If anyone does think Gap insurance isa good idea, look elsewhere it is much cheaper and far more transparent elsewhere, it probably only involves just one company as well, and not the salesman, credit company and insurers.

If anyone happens to buy a brand newor less than 2 yearNote NFU have an excellent policy, which kicks Gap insurance into touch.

wanna know about G3 Glass coating

Edited by: nonotedriver

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
it depends on what gap insurance it is, as it varies dealer to dealer got mine when i got the car and i did read the small print for myself it was reasonable price for 3 years as i did my homework beforehand
now the car is coming up to 3 years old i may take out another gap insurance to cover it as theres about a 3 grand difference in the book price and replacement price, like for like

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
£297 for 3 years

Look elsewhere (i.e not a Nissan main dealer) and your looking at below £100, now if that ain't a cash cow I dunno what is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did I mention that if you do sign on to the Dealers Gap insurance, that as well as being massively overcharged that the protecting company and dealer gets all un co-operative,
when termination is sought. Avoid the dealers gap insurance, save yourself a lot of time, grief and money; go elsewhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most comprehensive insurance policies give a new car replacement if a car is written off in the first or sometimes second year - best to check with your insurer before comittiing to any extra expense. As for the showroom sales persons' commisions they are entitled to a livelihood like anyone else so we shouldn't begrudge them. At least I find them more attentive than estate agents

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
99% of insurance companys insist on fully comp for any car under 3-4 years old, like for like polices are usually £70-100 more a year (basically a gap cover on the insurance)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally as I've said i think Gap insurance is definetly worth considering, no I do not be-grudge a dealer from making a bit of money, to refurb their 2nd house on the coast ;-), but I do resent it when the quote is 3 times what it should be and that the providing company of said gap insurance has easily the worst customer service ever. If the op stops just oneperson from paying the massively bloated dealerprice for Gap Insurancethenthis would've been worth it.

Not all dealerships are the same and it would be interesting to know if the bloated price is localized or not and whether it was through-out the industry (not just Nissan).

If you are about to buy a Nissan or know somebody that is look up gap insurance and don't buy from the dealer, unless you can knock them down..... if "Ala" can provide£5000 cover on a £8k car for£114 (total), what'll be the cost of cover for a£15k car ?. Compare that to the dealers offer ;-)

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I've also used Ala - and although I've not had to claim off them they do get good reviews and their prices are spot on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts