Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other forums seem to be having this debate as to use Supermarket or Retail fuel.
Arguments against supermarket seem to be saying that their fuel lacks the additives and detergents that the more expensive retail outlets have.

My local garage / dealership (Not Nissan) always strongly advised NOT to use supermarket fuel.

Let me say the local dealer does not sell fuel so he has no axe to grind there, they advise all their customers on collecting their car NOT to use supermarket if they possibly can.

So I thought why not get the thoughts, feelings and maybe some hard facts about this subject. is supermarket fuel lacking in these additives??? is it a lower grade than retail?????

Your comments will I am sure make good readings, and hopefully throw some light on this controversial subject.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Never, ever had a problem with supermarket (Tesco) fuel either unleaded or Diesel.

Never noticed any difference with 'retail' fuel and the price difference locally is only 1p per litre anyway. I use Tesco for convenience and the fact that my local garage was 'busted' for skimming credit cards.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I use the cheapest I can get, within these groundrules

Always pay with cash to avoid card skimming. (By sheer co-incidence, I have used "pay at the pump" twice in my life, and I've had two credit cards compromised
)
Never use any ethanol blend. (I think they are sneaking E10 in through the backdoor though)
Always keep the receipt, (Remember when Tescos poisoned thousands of catalysts a few years back?)
Try to buy fuel early in the morning, it is coolest then, so you get more for your money, as it is sold by volume, and warm fuel expands.

If there isn't a free pump, drive straight through and try again tomorrow (Personal choice, if there is a car on every pump, and someone buying a weeks groceries it can take 10 minutes to pay)

EDIT:

It wasn't cataylsts, it was oxygen sensors, caused a Nationwide shortage of spare ones too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_United_Kingdom_petrol_contamination

Edited by: mnl

·
Registered
25 Posts
What i have been told is supermarket fuel does not have the additives the the retail outlets have ,
and for ever 4 tank fill ups one should be retail .
Also best to run on retail a few weeks before your MOT , yes heard the one about all fuel comes from only 3 or four refinery's the to main players being Esso and Shell , its the same as CD's there
are loads of brands , Philips, Datawrite,TDK you could go on forever but only 3 plants in the world that make them. Had my Note 1.5 dci since January 2012 always fill up at Morrisons because it was the cheapest round by me plus they did them 6p off coupons it's been fine.
Yes i know soot builds up in you exhaust and in the injectors if you Google Diesel black smoke you
would be there all day with what it could be, then people say now and again you need to drive like
Grand Theft Auto to clear the pipes.

Supermarket or Retail my vote goes to Supermarket 70% of the Country can't be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
The sad thing is, we have to take what's offered at the pumps on face value, until there is a scandal of some sort. By then your engine could be trashed, or other damage occurred/occuring.

Not as if we can sample what's offered, and get it tested free of charge.

I tend to go for the large retailers more often, and use supermarkets less frequent, to spread whatever risk there may be(if any).

There is another problem over here in Ireland, as diesel laundering still goes on. Plus there are similar cases in England, I believe.

I'd rather pay a higher price at the retail pumps, rather than in the garage workshop.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reading a few other forums and various quetions about the same subject....the following is a small part of the answer given by Petrol Retailers Assn... the whole text of the answer makes interesting reading but would take up too much space, but this is more or less the summary as follows' quote....

Three road tankers drive into a refinery distribution terminal and load up with fuel. One has a small amount of quality-boosting additive added. The next has a larger amount of additive added, while the third has a higher performance base fuel again with additive incorporated. Additives and high performance base fuels cost more and give greater protection or performance. That is why some oil companies have produced higher quality fuels which they sell at a premium. Basically the old rules apply. Generally, you get what you pay for, and if fuel is being sold very much cheaper in a particular area then the motorist has to ask himself or the petrol retailer why. Caveat vendor!
<H3 =reference>Source(s):</H3>
<DIV =reference>RMI Petrol Retailers Association Technical Consultants

·
Registered
152 Posts
I once had an Astra which ran like a dream until I put Petrol in it from a supermarket garage (begins with S and is advertised by that t**ser with the lisp who cant seem to cook a meal without throwing the ingredients all over the place). The petrol was dodgy and ruined my engine so I dont ever put Supermarket fuel in unless I absolutely have to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I vary where I shop for fuel. I tend to put a little in at normal service stations and more in at supermarkets. Like the last post I had a 2009 1.4 Acenta but never had any problems no matter who I used. I haven't had my 1.5 Acenta DCI long enough to judge the difference, if any, but to be honest, I really don't think there is much difference where you buy your fuel. The only reason the smaller vendors are more expensive, they have a much small turnover.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
ians1386 said:
I once had an Astra which ran like a dream until I put Petrol in it from a supermarket garage (begins with S and is advertised by that t**ser with the lisp who cant seem to cook a meal without throwing the ingredients all over the place). The petrol was dodgy and ruined my engine so I dont ever put Supermarket fuel in unless I absolutely have to.

Pukka! - nice of him to use a catchphrase that rhymes with what a lot of people think

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
always used bp stick with regular and every 3-4 fills put some premium in, i never let the light come on, dad just had a head gasket go on his car
The cause was mosturein the fuel, what was was moron sons supermarket

like oils, fuel has to be made to a certain spec, but storage is another matter

·
Registered
363 Posts
After trawling through the topics (once again!!) I thought I'd give a non-supermarket brand a go....a bit of history first....used Mozzers (unleaded) for the last 10 years.....never a problem....when I bought my diesel Note I carried on filling up there...........now....when I first got the car it was very quiet (never had a diesel before & was very impressed) gradually over the months it has got quite 'rattly'......so today I filled up with Esso....I thought I was hearing things as I drove the car...or should I say, NOT hearing things.....It is definitely quieter....smooth too....yippeeeeee. I may be imaginingit butI'm sure the steering wheel has centred itself too...........ah ah.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

I live on the Isle of Man and now kinda stuffed there were only 2 brands Shell and Total. These have now converted to local companies. When I phoned up they said they buy there additives off the shelf but no real indication whether these are supermarket standard or higher. They assure me they are of a good standard but would not say what.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Barrule said:
Hi,

I live on the Isle of Man and now kinda stuffed there were only 2 brands Shell and Total. These have now converted to local companies. When I phoned up they said they buy there additives off the shelf but no real indication whether these are supermarket standard or higher. They assure me they are of a good standard but would not say what. 
I started taking my own fuel to the IOM in the late 70's after a couple of engine failures in the MGP , despite money off tickets being given out by the MMC. Are they still using the same containers? If the throughput of thesstorage isn't high enough today it will lead to poorer fuel, so it may be worth using a fuel additive.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Personally I don't believe there is any difference (on the cars' performance or mpg) between petrol sold by the supermarkets or local chain garage - they are all conglomarates. Being driving & buying fuel for more than 50 years for a full range of cars with engines from 1000cc to 4200cc.

Never owned or re-fueled a DERV so can't comment on diesel.

As usual - You pays your money and takes your choice...

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Again it's modern engines and the way they are tuned via the ecu - alter the fuel makeup and it will throw the ecu out

Bio ethanol in the fuel especially euro country's is bad for modern engines (there's a thread on e10 fuel) older injection systems and carbs are more tolerant to bio ethanol as thay dump more fuel into the bore more than a modern electronic injector

·
Registered
363 Posts
Midasi1 said:
Personally I don't believe there is any difference (on the cars' performance or mpg) between petrol sold by the supermarkets or local chain garage - they are all conglomarates. Being driving & buying fuel for more than 50 years for a full range of cars with engines from 1000cc to 4200cc.

Never owned or re-fueled a DERV so can't comment on diesel.

As usual - You pays your money and takes your choice...
4 days ago I would have agreed with you & as I've said before....no problems with unleaded, but I have defo noticed a difference with diesel from a branded pump.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts