Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, just double checking something as follows:-
Is there a fuel filter on the 1.6 auto (57 plate) which needs to be changed. I've read on a previous post by Flash22 that its a lifetime filter and does not need to be changed but looking at the Nissan service costs (Gold Service) they include a fuel filter change or would this just be for the diesel Note.

It does say on Nissans site that the prices shown which include the fuel filter are for petrol models only. Is this something Nissan says its replaced when it does not need doing. Confused.....

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
lifetime filter in the tank, leave well alone unless faulty.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mdvineng. Cheers pal confused as it appears that Nissan list this as one of the things it does on their Gold service schedule. I suppose it makes the list longer to justify the huge cost of a main dealer service.It will be a question I next put to Nissan when I speak to them. Will report further and I'll ask why its listed if its a lifetime filter and I'll ask if money is knocked off the price if it is not replaced as it does not need to be!

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
The larger cars have inline filters, its a general term in there blurb, the filter is built into the pump

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
well there no refrence to filter in anything i have, but there is an inline filter listed for the note.......
I will have to confirm this later today

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Just had a good look through (section FL) of the service manual and the only inline filter is on the K9K (diesel) engine. As has been mentioned above the petrol engines have filter built into the fuel pump. What I don't understand, likeflash22,is why both Euro and GSF list an in-line filter for the petrol engines. I can't see one under my bonnet.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
filters are up by the tank (if it has one), no sign of any filter but there is a ablong black box with 3 pipes going to it from the tank just in front of the rear wheel on the passenger side

solved. the black box is the evap canister !!

think it may be a case of gsf,ect listing part for the k12 and k13 micra and xrefrencing the parts by engine code as the micra has the same engines as the note

Edited by: flash22

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers chaps, that is one job that does not need doing. Just prepping my wife's Note for the MOT, wiper and a brake light bulb and I'm hoping it will pass with possibly an advisory for the front tyres.Also a wash and vacuum to bring it back up to scratch and make it look loved. Never too messy anyway even with four kids ranging from 10 months to 9 years. I just want to sit down!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brake light bulb done, thanks to the simple instructions on this forum with photos, first one I've done on the Note. Cleaned up all the gunk that builds up under the light too and gave it a bit of a polish.Wiper blade done, £2 ish from Eurocarparts.
All set for the MOT now, wish me luck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pretty sure it will pass mate, its in good condition & only done about 3000 miles since the last MOT & is driven very carefully to say the least. I think its just approaching 35,000 miles now and running like a dream.
Had some bullsh1t advisories last year from Arnold Clark, will see if they are even mentioned this year by my local independent garage to see if there is any truth in what AC said.

Took it to Arnold Clark last year & it failed on a wiper blade & they wanted to put two on and charge me £27 (did it for £6) and headlight adjustment and got this adjusted for free by Kwik Fit who did not want to charge me for this 2 minute job. AC wanted £15 for this adjustment!
Took it back to AC after having the headlight adjusted & they retested and said they had done my headlight for free. I told them I was confused as I had had it adjusted some ten minutes before by Kwik Fit.
Anyhow AC wanted to charge me £42 for not a lot at all. It was good though as I had a free MOT voucher so my MOT cost me £6 including repairs.
This is one of the reasons amongst others I struggle to trust the BIG dealerships/motoring organisations/service centres as its all about how much ££££ they can get out of you with some area/regional manager cracking the whip at the staff to sell stuff that folks don't need such as your brake pads are 75% worn we can replace for just ££££££ etc.....

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
My local guy still charges a flat £50 for an MOT while some of the local 'chains' have dropped this to £30.

The difference: he is meticulous in his approach and will 'pre-test' the vehicle. If a bulb is out or a minor problem evident he will fix it there and then, often without charge and will then conduct a very thorough MOT test pointing out things that, although not advisories, need attention or maintenance.

Brilliant garage which is why our family have been going there for the last 40 years. The Note will go there as soon as the three year's free servicing (part of the deal) runs out.

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
Over here in the Emerald Isle, the MOT(NCT in Ireland)testing stations are government run.

Cars over 10 years old are tested yearly, cars under 10 years old are tested every 2 years. The first MOT/NCT is at 4 years.

The test is far more rigorous, and there are no repairs/adjustments done, just a fault report.

Here's a strange rule.......The timing belt must have been replaced in the case of a diesel vehicle, i.e., within the timeframe specified by the vehicle manufacturer

‚¬49 for the test, and ‚¬29 for a re test. There is a Free re test for minor faults. like wiper blades or bulbs etc.

I've been fortunate when living in England, my local garage was always honest and upfront. Any parts replaced, were kept for me too check out and look over. Never got stung.
Mind you, if my old motor needed repairs(non MOT) that I couldn't handle, it was always taken to the same garage.
Repeat customers are good for buisiness, as long as the trust/loyalty is maintained both ways.

Edited by: Boysie

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Yes, you get the same warning about Diesel cambelts over here as well. I suppose it is because they rev the engine to the red line during the emissions test and don't want garages full of 'gently run' diesels suddenly letting go all over the workshop floor.

All MOT test stations have a large advisory notice to that effect.

My local guy was tested by the testers a few months ago (snap inspection) and he passed with flying colours.

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
I've never 'maxed out' my diesel, but have had over 3500rpm the odd time. I should be around the timing belt replacement mark, when my first MOT(NCT) test come around.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Note was in for MOT this morning. Passed with advisories on front tyres which I knew about anyway and that's all. Headlight adjustment was out but corrected in with MOT price of £40. Second time I've used this local independent garage and its good to say I trust them.Very odd that advisories picked up on by Arnold Clarke 12 months ago/3000 miles were not mentioned this time.

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
BOBBYBINGO said:
Brake light bulb done, thanks to the simple instructions on this forum with photos, first one I've done on the Note. Cleaned up all the gunk that builds up under the light too and gave it a bit of a polish.Wiper blade done, £2 ish from Eurocarparts.
All set for the MOT now, wish me luck.

Good luck BB, I'm sure it'll fly through.

Leave a fiver on the dash, just in case.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts