Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all my previous vehicles I have used Redex regularly in the fuel although stopped using it with my previous car, Renault Scenic as there wee many stories on the forums of it affecting the cat and lambda sensors adversely, causing them ultimately to fail. Personally I don't see how it would affect an engine adversely unless it was removing great lumps of carbon and crud and it sticking to the exhaust components which is highly unlikely. Are there any issues with using Redex in the Nissan engines, especially the Note, that anyone has come across yet?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
any excess oil going in to a CAT can damage it and with modern fuels stuff like Redex became redundant years ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mdvineng said:
any excess oil going in to a CAT can damage it and with modern fuels stuff like Redex became redundant years ago.
Is that a "No need to use Redex"?.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Use the premium fuels like bp ultimate or Tesco momentum... no need to use additives as these fuels ave the right stuff in them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>

<!-->

Thanks for that bit of "enlightning" advice, never knew that.

<!--if gte mso 9>

Normal

false
false
false

EN-GB
X-NONE
AR-SA

<!--><!--if gte mso 9>

<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

<!-->

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I'd save your money crunchie. I used to put a Diesel additive in my old Seat but I was never sure if it made a blind bit of difference. The last time i used Redex was in my first Mini (40 years ago - Christ I feel old) and only then because my dad thought it was a good idea!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I started using Slick50 and redex in an old Opel Kadett C many moons ago and continued doing it over many cars until I got a Scenic, as I convinced myself it didnt do any good, apart from lightening my wallet. I also had a 1951 Velocette MAC, which ran without problem, using very good quality fuels and oils, always get the best you can afford.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies. I think the premium fuel option might just be the best, certainly putting a tankful through once a month would do the same job as a bottle of Redex. When the government decide to reduce their vast fuel duty to below greedy levels, I'll be able to afford to use premium fuels all the time.

I always found that back in the day of carburettors, redex did make a difference to the running of an old engine, never noticed any difference with an ecu controlled fuel injection system though.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Redex was useful in the old days because engines suffered from piston ring blow by and valve stem leaks, causing a lot of oil to enter the combustion chamber and valve stems as well as the induction tract. Modern engines with valve stem seals and very efficient piston rings have no need for Redex or it's equivalents.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all, just reading the post re redex, I can remember a long time ago (about 50 yrs) my dad was foreman for a small garage and a rep from Redex visited the garage hoping to sell some large quantities of it, after about an hour of giving my dad all the spiel about it my dad asked for small amount to be put into a cup for him, at the time the garage had old coke burners for heating, dad took the cup and threw the contents over the coke burner which instantly burst into flames and extinguished almostimmediately leaving no trace of the Redex, he turned to the rep and told him "that is what happens to Redex when you put it into the engine" The rep lifted his case up and walked out of the garage without saying a word. my feelings on additives is if the engine is running ok then additives are not required. The old adage "if it's not broken it does not need mending" thanks for all theuseful info I havereceived since joiningyou all, I have learnt a lot from all your posts, please keep them coming,,

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for that Sparra, I well remember coke burners and the braziers that every roadworks gang had for making the brew and skiving around. Now it's all microwaves and thermos flasks...and health & safety.

My grandfather was a staunch believer in the adage of "If it ain't broke...." but I tend to go with "Prevention is better than the cure". I suppose that these modern fuels with their detergents and additives do a good job then I am happy to let the petrol companies take over that wee bit of preventative maintenance for me.

Grandfather also said that if he couldn't fix something with only the old RAF toolkit of a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, then it couldn't be fixed at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Premium fuels are usually about 5p per litre more than standard fuels. On an average tank fill up that is around £2 which, in the scheme of things, is not a huge amount extra for a benefit the premium fuel gives you. This includes keeping carbon deposits to a minimum and a small increase to your vehicles mpg.

So, I would fill up with premium all the time or at least twice a month. Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Every 3tanks or soi put some premium in prob 3/4 of a tank as i dont like to run the tank dry

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
I've always used the premium fuel, as the cost 'savings' are minimal. £2 a week only buys a couple of Mars bars. I suppose it depends how often you need to fill up.I only need to once a week with my oil burner.
I've always used premium fuel in all my motors, if it's called for.

Additives cost money, so buy better fuel.

Never used additives at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts