Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this forum can tell me why the blue lenses on my 1.4 Acenta 09 give out a yellow light when switched-on! Is it that a blue bulb is needed or is it just a feature of the lenses thickness that makes it appear blue?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
crocodil said:
Hope this forum can tell me why the blue lenses on my 1.4 Acenta 09 give out a yellow light when switched-on! Is it that a blue bulb is needed or is it just a feature of the lenses thickness that makes it appear blue?
No way can you put a blue bulb on the front of your car...only the emergency services can display blue in the UK.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
They probably look blue due to defraction of the light being reflected back out, much the same as the sea!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sneaky saying about blue lights for emergency vehicles only!!Only flashing Blue lights yes are for emergency vehicles, however if you have low watt blue static lights or static LED's they are permissable.
Look at all the trucks with their fronts plastered with Blue LED's!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys... it's just odd that only the upper front side light lenses in the whole light cluster exhibit this blue colour, and of course I have seen plenty of cars running around with these blue side-lights.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try to pull the bulb and see what it looks like, maybe the previous owner has put in someaftermarked bulbs or led's.

They come in a variety of colors, and when they are turned on they have a different one, just
as the silver/crome blinker bulbs that alot of people with clear glass blinkers use, they are
crome when off, but red/orange when on, just as a normal blinker.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Greenplane and Sneaky, you are both right!

The law as I understand it, and the construction and use regs are like this

Obligatory lights (sidelights) must be fitted, and the correct colour = predominantly white (or yellow for combination side and indicator lights) you are allowed a slight blue or a yellow tint, the bulbs should carry an E mark meaning they are the right colour.

Other lights on the front are a case of what actually isn't stated as illegal is legal, the only prescription is you cant show a red light to the front, or have flashing lights except indicators. (unless you are an emergency vehicle proceeding to an emergency)

However if a policeman thinks that you have lights positioned so as to impersonate an emergency vehicle, he will make things difficult for you with some roadside checks, and may even try and write you up for impersonating a police vehicle/officer. The correct response to this is a cheery "Good Evening Officer, Why aren't you out catching murderers rather than persecuting motorists?"

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
mnl said:
However if a policeman thinks that you have lights positioned so as to impersonate an emergency vehicle, he will make things difficult for you with some roadside checks, and may even try and write you up for impersonating a police vehicle/officer. The correct response to this is a cheery "Good Evening Officer, Why aren't you out catching murderers rather than persecuting motorists?"
My point exactly...I don't know about the rest of the country, but in this part of the Jungle (west London) the Old Bill take a very dim view of anyone showing a blue lamp on their vehicle, and will issue an enforcement notice to have the damn thing replaced within a certain amount of time or be prosecuted for impersonating a tit-head.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
If only they made cyclists put a light of any colour on their bloody bikes!

Where in the west London jungle are you 'Sneaky'?, I'm in Ealing.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Nigel B said:
If only they made cyclists put a light of any colour on their bloody bikes!

Where in the west London jungle are you 'Sneaky'?, I'm in Ealing.
If I climb a very tall tree (oo-er!) and look to the north east with my jumbo telescope, I can see the Uxbridge Road at Hanwell Viaduct. I can't be more specific...ivory hunters are everywhere!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Maybe next time Sneaky , you see or talk to PC Plod with a dim view, may be you should remind him that he needs to change his Bulbs to make him less Dim!!!Plus Isnt it about time cyclist, if they are going to invade or at the very least use our roads (roads belong to us the motorists) they should follow the same rules as us, like stopping at red lights, not using the foot path when they feel like it, or maybe even stopping at "T" junctions not carrying on regardless as though they are above the law!!!.
After my near miss this morning with a so called cyclist, I was driving my minibus(works van new job etc) along the road I live on doing no more than 20mph, the next second a fat kid on a mountain bike came out of a side road straight in front of me, the window was already down on the minibus, i shouted at him like to say what the F*** was he doing, and all i got was a very fat dim look as to " what were you doing driving along my road at this time?"
As for Plod, you will more than likely notice that there are less and less on our roads, this is due to the fact that " The Men from VOSA" are taking over, they will soon be able to act on the spot fines, etc for unroad worthyness, bad driving, over laden, driving in the wrong lanes speeding etc. This I have recently learnt from a recent course I did "CPC", which i need for professional driving.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I cycle too! and follow the rules, unfortunately a lot of cyclists and motorists don't ( how hard can it be to turn an indicator on and early enough to be of use to someone etc etc etc ) not following the rules seems to be the norm now, along with "it's somebody else's responsibility" attitudeand motorists do not own the roads nor doesany one else except the governing bodies whom don't have to repair them by the look of them and as a cyclist the feel of them on my numb bum. God I've got to my dad's age faster than i thought possible.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was being sarcastic towards the onwership of the roads, what I was meaning is that , there are cycle lanes and routes that about 75% of cyclist dont use, though they are there to make it safer for us all not to hit each other.Which reminds me, of when i was a bus driver in York.
I mangle a city official on a bike, picture the scene. I was at some lights turning left, indicators on and steering wheel turned to the left, barely a gap down the N S edge, the cyclist I had previously passed was in my left mirror on the left rear back of the bus, (bus is single decker 40ft long, 9ft wide, with 9ft over hangs front and rear, Scania 12ltr), anyway the lights go to green I check my mirrors cyclist still behind me, i start to go round to the left only to hear a crunching noise, to which i stopped looked in the mirror nothing, looked at the doors to my amazement the cyclist was squahed between me (the bus) and the railings on the footpath, shouting and swearing at me as though it was my fault!!!, my passengers all of ten backed me up and the cyclist wheeled his broken bike away.
A bit like another time when a police motorcyclist ran in to the back of me, when i couldnt see him in my mirrors when i was going through a pelican crossing and some one ran out in front of me, again not my fault as the motorcyclist was too close to my rear end!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I know you was being sarky. the problem with cycle lanes and pavements is that motorists use them to park on! thus rendering them useless most of the time. where I live the cars on pavements vs driveways is 95 to 5 % and the pedestrians end up using the road!!! Any cyclist who creeps up the nearside of a vehicle especially next to a railing has a wish to remove themselves from the gene pool, I sometimes make sure there isn't enough room for this to happen for there sake, my cars bodyworkand also so I don't have to fill in lots of paperwork!

regards
dave s

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
good to see you have more spokes on the back wheel than the front!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just picked up my freshly serviced Note at the Nissan dealership here in town, he had justreceived a load of new Notes, so i had a quick look at the headlights, and all these new Notes
also had "blue" sidelights.
I know some manufacturers make bulbs with blue glass, and i am 112% sure that is what makes
the sidelights look blue, when turned of.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts