Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 60 Reg Note diesel with 11,000 miles has just failed to start because of a flat battery. After getting it going with ump leads & giving it a blast around town it started OK. But when left for a few hours it once again failed to start. Has anyone else had this problem. Main dealer has agreed to lookat it later this week. Also, Is battery classed as a "wear" item & not under warranty.

Your answers would be most welcomed. Thankyou.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Could be any number of reasons.

Modern cars tend to flatten their battery if left standing for a few weeks, due to the current taken by alarms, remote locking etc.
It takes a good 4 to 5 hours running to fully recharge the battery, easier to buy a small battery charger (designed for modern cars with dodgy electronic compuetery parts: the 30 year old Selmar unit you got off your father can possibly damage the overly sensitive electronics).
The drive belt may be loose.
The alternator may be faulty.
The battery may have failed: usually a battery has a 3 year warranty
There may be some electrical fault that is causing a constant large drain on the battery.

Best to charge the battery and get the vehicle checked if it is under warranty.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Battery is classed as a wear item esp in diesels it does a lot of work when cranking from cold with the heaters on
tbh all the dealer will do is check the alternator voltage/ and the battery voltage, no doubt the cold weather we had begining of the year started to kill your battery

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for your replies guys. Have car booked in for check at dealer where purchased new. Have bought 2 Tinos,(1 new)1 Qashqai,(new) 1 Micra(7miles on clock), & this Note new from this main dealer, so hoping for a good result tomorrow (Wed 20th). Will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
seasider said:
Have bought 2 Tinos,(1 new)1 Qashqai,(new) 1 Micra(7miles on clock), & this Note new from this main dealer, so hoping for a good result tomorrow (Wed 20th). Will let you know the outcome.
WOW your drive must be jammed solid

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wellspotted Sneaky Elephant, I should have included,"In the past"

As promised I have my latest update.

I started the Note Wednesday morning with help of jump leads. Once it was running there was a strange electrical burning smell.
I decided NOT to take car to main dealer because of the smell. I contacted them & they suggested that I call the Nissan helpline to get the car checked over by the RAC & transported to them if repair could not be fixed on my drive.

The RACvan arrived this morning (Thursday) as arranged. He tested the battery & said power was low. The car was then started with his power pack, he then found that the battery was not being charged. He then fitted his spare battery & followed me to the main dealer, swapping the battery back when there. There was no "smell" at all during the 25mile+ trip. A new alternator was ordered & I was given a new Note courtesey car to get home.

The salesman who I have many deals with
spotted me & asked me if I would like a run in the new Leaf that had recently arrived.I was very much impressed by the accelleration & kit included. But the cost & journey lenght limits will keep me from ordering one !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts