Nissan Note Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 1.5 DCI had a dead battery a couple of weeks ago. It started again after a night on a charger. Then we left the car for 2 weeks and the battery did the same - no start but I thought I heard the starter motor click without start. I then checked the voltage - 14.6V after 3 start attempts. Should this not be enough to crank the engine?

I put the car on a charger again over night and measured the voltage with the engine running - 17.5V. Is this normal for a Note alternator?

The battery is still the first and the car is 4 years old. The car does a lot of short distance city driving.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
17.5 V is way too high, I'd check that your voltmeter is reading correctly- they over-read when their battery is going.

If it is 17.5V I'd expect the battery to be venting nasty stinkbomb smells, and it will quickly run out of electrolyte and die. I'd expect the bulbs to have gone even quicker than they do now as well. If this is the case, you will need a replacement alternator. (as well as a new battery)

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
VERY rarely does an alternator go 'over voltage'.

I would get the alternator checked ASAP as you are cooking the battery at 17.5v

At best you will get away with a new battery which if it has been routinely charged at 17.5v will have suffered cell collapse but you need to determine the cause.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O.K. I have just measured my car against the Note and they both measured the same and high. I have never come across a voltmeter overmeasuring, but then I might have just found the battery voltmeter battery full or empty.

But back to the empty Note car battery. How long should the original one last?

·
Super Moderator
2,057 Posts
If you leave it standing for weeks at a time, and use it mostly for short runs.....I'm surprised it's lasted this long.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Your voltmeter is (technical term) buggered.

No way should any car read over 17v Anything over 15 volts is very suspect.

Normal (cheap as chips and fitted as standard) car batteries are good for four years max.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a nissan note e11 2012, I have a battery drain so because of that I have to take off the negative terminal off my battery where ever I park. I have experienced situation where as soon as I take off the negative terminal the vehicle shuts off immediately which is the warning of a bad alternator. What happened to me this morning is that I reach work and and stop and shut off the car and I tried to turn it back on immediately and the battery was dead. What is my issue or what should I do I have no idea? The thing is my battery is ok cause I got it checked out and I took the car to a electrician and I m suppose to go back for him to check the alternator cause the first time he couldn't do anything because the car charging is keeping up and at the time I was there the battery drain that I have was not showing up.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I would fit a new battery.
You say that you've had it checked out, but how old is it?
We see lots of fails on this forum related to old batteries, but it's very rare to see a failed alternator on a 2012 car...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would fit a new battery.
You say that you've had it checked out, but how old is it?
We see lots of fails on this forum related to old batteries, but it's very rare to see a failed alternator on a 2012 car...
It is about 1 year and 6 months now since I had it

·
Registered
946 Posts
We'll assume it's a good battery.
I wouldn't remove the negative terminal to prevent a drain.
If the battery really is in good order then yes the alternator needs checking out.. I take it that the auxillary belt is in good order and not slipping?

·
Registered
5 Posts
We'll assume it's a good batter
I wouldn't remove the negative terminal to prevent a drain.
If the battery really is in good order then yes the alternator needs checking out.. I take it that the auxillary belt is in good order and not slipping?
Well am going to check out the belt although I doubt it because the car drives very good only when I travel uphill it is losing some power at times

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well am going to check out the belt although I doubt it because the car drives very good only when I travel uphill it is losing some power at times
I wonder maybe if it is the wire connector to the alternator that has some shorts and causing it to lose power at times

·
Registered
946 Posts
I wonder maybe if it is the wire connector to the alternator that has some shorts and causing it to lose power at times
It's worth checking all connections and also remember that if the battery has been totally flat for a number of times, it may be damaged.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Go to your local motor factors. They'll have the tool for checking your battery's health. I won't confuse you with how it works lol though the battery may turn out to be fine. If so...

Alternator will charge an average battery at 13-14.5v, give or take. The problem lays with your alternators voltage regulator. This will evap the water from your battery, resulting in concentrated electrolyte (acid) and will discharge the battery rapidly as per your complaint. And then over time, will play games with your car's electronics.

Replace alternator and problems solved. If you are happy to do Job yourself, you can find rebuild kits online for your alternator, making this job much cheaper if it's DIY. Screwdriver is all you need for this part, and you can find guides on YouTube on rebuilding an alternator. Car tyre money verus a couple hundred upwards for new alternator.

Good luck bud :) let us know when you're sorted and back on the road

1 - 15 of 15 Posts