Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new on here but was hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction. My auto stop/start has stopped working and now the light is constantly flashing on the dashboard. I have paid for my battery to be charged up to see if this resolved it, but unfortunately it hasn't. I have been told I need to take to a Nissan Dealer so they can hook it up to a computer but they have quoted £100 for this just to tell me what's wrong. Although I have charged the battery I don't know if I should replace it? I am not bothered about this feature but wanted to ask will other things start to go wrong if I don't get this fixed or should I save and get this checked out asap. The car is a 64 plate and only 8000 miles on the clock I am the second owner. Any advice is thankfully welcomed before I start spending money I don't need to.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Nigel is your best bet for advise on this one Lizzy, but my small thoughts on the issue would be not to worry too much about this.
I've got stop start on my note and i constantly 'dis arm' it.
So long as you are happy without the function I don't think it's likely to affect anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Jymmer x I have been turning the function off every time I have got into the car (it started yesterday). I don't mind buying a new battery, but to be charged £100 Just for someone to tell me what's wrong with it I thought was expensive, but my knowledge on cars is VERY limited so not sure if this is the going rate. But if it's ok to drive I will save and get it checked out as soon as I can. Only bought it in August it's a 1.2 Petrol Note Acenta Premium

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
ANY good independent garage can read the codes (if any) that your car is generating Lizzy.

Car batteries are normally only good for 4-5 years at best and will not actually hold a charge after that.

Get the codes read before you buy anything and get them to also check the battery condition both with everything off and while starting.

Cars with Stop/Start need a special Deep Cycle battery (often call an AGM which stands for Absorbed Glass Mat - just a better way to store a charge) - the problem is that they are just as pone to failure as the old cheap ones!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Good advise from Nigel as per!
I've also got the Acenta premium albeit a 2013 model.
I noticed several weeks back that the green charge indiator light was black in the battery.
It was 5 years old (car 1st registered Nov 13).
I bought a new AGM stop start battery for £89.61 Inc vat, 5yr gaurantee, (Hankook SA56020) at Battery megastore, Tewkesbury, Glos.
They also deliver nationally..
Halfords ask around £150 for a 5yr one, and euro car parts are not much different.
If your indicator lamp on the battery is black Lizzy, just replace it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Nigel that really helps. I will have a look round near me to see who can do it. Just did not want car to blow up (lol dramatic I know but knowing my look it would) fingers crossed it won't be anything to expensive. Xx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jymmer you know what I think it was black. I tried to see if I could see it and to me it looked black. I looked with a light but could not see it. Should it be easy to see if it is green or is it difficult. And will it show as green when car is turned off or does it have to be running. Again thank you both this is really really helpful xx

·
Registered
772 Posts
It's shot Lizzie!.. Sadly.
When the battery is in good order the battery cell light is a very robust GREEN!
You can't miss it.
I suspect that your stop start switch and light is giving you a second warning!
It's nice to see a lady on the forum, so keep us up to date with your progress x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol I have just looked and it looks greenish but it was black before it was charged. I will see if I can get someone to look at it and run the tests on the battery that Nigel mentioned. I will keep you both updated and thank you again xxx.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
A pleasure.

ANY good independent (ask friends who they use) can read the codes.

Personally, once a car is out of warranty, I wouldn't go anywhere near a main dealer.

Good independents build and maintain their reputation by actually fixing problems and they are staffed by mechanics who have 'done their time' rather than parts monkeys who have a woeful reputation for throwing parts at a problem *at your expense) until something 'sticks'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a test thingy run on it and it came up with one fault which was reset and now the light has stopped flashing. They said it probably due to the low battery thats made that the auto light come on as the fault wasn't really a fault . The battery indicator is not green anymore so it is likely that is what has set the auto light to flash. So it looks like it was the battery after all. Thank you both for your help I am now happy to drive my car without it having it's own party with flashy lights. Xxx

·
Registered
772 Posts
Well done Lizzy you've got peace of mind now!
Shop around for a good stop/start battery with a 5 year warranty.
They can be expensive, but like I said before it's possible to find one for £90 or so.
Hope you like driving your Acenta premium, it's got a good spec. I like the sat nav, the auto climate and the cruise control etc.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Had a test thingy run on it and it came up with one fault which was reset and now the light has stopped flashing. They said it probably due to the low battery thats made that the auto light come on as the fault wasn't really a fault . The battery indicator is not green anymore so it is likely that is what has set the auto light to flash. So it looks like it was the battery after all. Thank you both for your help I am now happy to drive my car without it having it's own party with flashy lights. Xxx

Delighted and thank you Lizzy for posting an update, so few do.

Happy motoring.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've noted that Halfords now stock a 'Yuasa' stop/start battery, 60amp hr, 680cc, (correct for a 2014 note,) with a four year warranty for £115.
That's a good brand at a competitive price for 'AGM' standard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts