Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Notees,I had the 'screech of death' everytime I locked my central locking on my 1.4 SE 2007 so I decided to get stuck in today.

Long story short;

There is a very small 2mm dia pin which works its way out of the lock/actuator assy' and causes a mis-alignment problem in the internal drive mechanism.

Location/ remedy;

Open the door. take a no. 2 posidrive to the lock. loosen the 3 edge screws, turn yourself through 90 degrees, sit on the sill and look down the small gap inside the door (torch req') where the lock opening is.
35mm down you should see a tiny steel pin. Using a small 'angled' bicycle tyre-lever prise the pin back into the lock/actuator assy'.
Tighten the 3 edge screws, press the key-fob and enjoy the silence!

This might just be a temporary fix (its only been a couple of ours since I tried it) but it cost me nowt...and yes, the lock/actuator assy' did have Renault embossed on it.

P.S. if the pin's dropped out altogether then its ££ time

OK?
NEEBLAMMERS (feeling slightly smug
)

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
ah its the child lock, Its aNissan cost saving exercisethey used the same lock for the front and rear
The lock I had out of my drivers door had Nissan on it but mines a facelift car

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, Just to re-iterate:

This pin is metal, approx 1 to 2mm in diameter (imagine the pin in your watchstrap
) and protrudes from the body of the lock/actuator belowthe opening slot for the 'hidden', plastic, child-lock slider. I believe that the pin is used as the axle of a small drive pinion inside the lock-actuator.

I did not have any egress issues with the internal door handles; the central locking system functioned 'A- OK' apart from a loud grating noise when closed, with the key-fob.

I first had to strip the near-side door card (thanks to flash22 for the 'how-to') and some of the door internals to remove the lock/actuator assy' to pin-point the problem. Once sorted I tried it out and couldn't believe my ears when all I could hear was the off-side mechanism making the same (but quieter) racket
With the benefit of the first door strip I could suss' a way to fettle the second door without pulling the door card.

To re-cap; the same same fault was remedied in the same way on both doors..yet, the first door took 2hrs the second took 2 mins

Repair + 6hrs and holding

This resolution may only apply to my car but I hope it assists others before they have to shell out £100's to correct the problem at a mainline garage.

Sincerely,
NEEBLAMMERS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brilliant! Thanks a lot Neeblammers. It worked for me too using your quick method, though I'm not sure that I have been able to push the pin back in fully and I may have to strip the door down eventually to do the job properly. But even so it's miles better than it was. It's been driving us mad for months and was a bit of an embarassment really.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The noise was so loud, coming from the front passenger door, that it drowned out the less noisy drivers door. Stoop down and put your ear to the door outer trim, that'll quickly identify where the noise is coming from.Good luck, I hope you catch it in time.

NEEBLAMMERS

·
Registered
16 Posts
NEEBLAMMERS - How is your fix holding up a few months on?

I have just purchased an 07 Note SVE for my wife and have a buzzing noise from it seems both front doors when locking the car.

Do you think your fix will work for me?

How do you fix it (2min way) without taking off the door card?

Do you have any how to guides with step by step pics to illustrate this, as it will help me and hopefully others a lot.

Cheers
Athers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,Tried the fix on the weekend and could see the pin, which was off centre.

Tried to push it back into place centrally, but it kept reverting back to the same position.

Am I looking at the right bit? Needless to say the loud buzzing sound on closing the door with the key fob is still present.

Will try and take some pics later.

I'm hoping I don't have to go and get 2 new locks fitted (buzzing both sides) as I heard they are not cheap or would people recommend the 2nd hand option?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is this the pin that I must move back into position, you can see in the centre of the pic?

Tried moving it about but already seems correctly in place and also compared it to back 2 doors and appears in the same place.

I guess I will have to order new locks?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I don't think that is the pin but the latch spring

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it?

I'm referring to the very small pin at the back of the picture, which bends to the left?

The bend then leads to the pin at the side of the door, which is what I 1st thought the pin I needed to adjust was, but it is all the same one pin though.

Here it is from other side where 3 screws are (centre of pic is where pin is):

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
That iis the end of the spring located in the latch. I think the pin refered to is about 35mm further down, you will need to remove the three large screws and lift up the lock body a little, best carefully re read the FIX as it is a year sonce I looked at mine but from memory the pin lies at 90º to the three mount screws and further down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, I used this thread to fix my lock last week.The pin is located on the other side of the lock (not the side where the screws are, but on the internal side of the door - like the instructions say "turn yourself through 90 degrees, sit on the sill and look down the small gap inside the door (torch req') where the lock opening is." (I tried to take a pic to update this post, but the pin is tiny.)

Also, the tool is important, a simple screw driver/flat blade does not work as the top part of the door gets in the way. The 'tool' I used was an L-shaped bracket, which fitted down the gap and can then be leveraged to push the pin back into the lock

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Athers99 said:
Ok, cheers for your help.

I will try again tomorrow.

So a year on, did your issue ever come back or was it a permanent fix?
Permanent so far but easily sorted again if it recurs also more or less the same cure for the inner door handle not opening the lock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

Quick update. Had another attempt this morning and still get the loud buzzing from both doors.

Took some pics of pin and tools used.

As Woodcote mentioned to me, when you push the pin back in, you don't feel like it has moved. Tried many times each door, but in the end buzzing still remains.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Will try again lunchtime.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
it's still sticking out in that pic, it should virtually disappear from view.
Or that pin is the child lock and the pin your looking for is further below that one in the pic, read the fix to confirm.Edited by: mdvineng

1 - 20 of 89 Posts