Nissan Note Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car converted for LPG last week and the spare wheel recess is now a tank for the LPG.

The spare tyre can sit under the level for the shelves but it has restricted the space in the boot, ideally I would like to get a wheel chair in the boot too.

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the tyre put in an upright position and fixed to one side of the boot, as I think this would free up a lot of space.

What do you think?

As an aside, I notice a lot of cars don't come with spare tyres and would be interested in the thoughts of those who drive around without a spare tyre. It would feel very wrong to me.

Thanks

Geoff

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
An emergency wheel came with some models, and that would take up less space, if fitted vertically. Other models had a can off emergency puncture repair goo.(This would render the tyre useless, I think, even though it would be possible to repair the puncture.).

A full size wheel & tyre, would obviously take up more room.

There's you choices.......emergency goo, emergency wheel & tyre, full size wheel & tyre.....or take your chances with nothing.

In all honesty....the emergency wheel & tyre would be the best compromise.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Forget the goo soultion.

Sister-in-law had a Merc with the 'goo'. First 'puncture' that she got was a split sidewall after hitting a piece of metal in the road, goo was absolutely useless and she had to be 'relayed' to the local tyre dealer.

Her husband 'cleaned' the Merc dealer and they provided a full size spare for which there was room.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Why would you want to fit a LPG tank to a car that's good on petrol anyway, if you really want economy should have gone for a diesel, I've just got 67.4 MPG out of mine.
I can see the point in spending out to fit a LPG conversion on a 3 to 4 Ltr engine car, but on a 1.6? How much is it going to cost you to fit LPG tank and all the bits that go with it, and how long will it take to get your money back

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
The best compromise is the space-saver spare, if it will fit under the false floor, I don't see how it stops you getting a wheelchair in the back, whereas fixing the wheel to the side somehow will stop you lifting the false floorboards.

I would never leave home without a spare wheel.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
If your on the outside lane of a motorway doing 70 mph, and you had a tyre blow-out, andif you were able to keep the car under control? By the time you got yourself to the hard shoulder, no amount of "goo" would be able to repair your tyre to get you to a tyre centre for a new tyre.
Don't leave home without a spare tyre, either skinny or normal

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
The last posting should have read "Spare Wheel" not tyre

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd definitely stick with the spacesaver wheel.The Touran I had just had the 'goo' and I never felt happy with that alone. Ended up buying four steel wheels/tyres (legal)for a Golf off ebay £50! Carried one in the boot or upright behind passenger seat.

Spacesaver was confirmed as a good idea by local tyreshop.Apparently lots of punctures that the 'goo' won't work on, plus using it means a new tyre as most tyre co.s won't repair goo'd tyres.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The amount of time you are going to need it, the goo is fine. had an LPG almera for 3 years, one puncture. My polo came from the factory with the goo, and not even a jack, and I am running my old beetle with a cylinder of goo handy. No use with gashes, but in 7 years of driving 30k a year, never had a puncture that was bad enough not to be sorted with goo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Surprised nobody's invented a solid tyre that behaves like a normal one then we wouldn't have to worry about punctures and goo.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
They have! (image courtesy of Sports Car Digest).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to let you know the LPG tank is in the old space for the spare wheel. All the spare wheel and other gubbings fit tidily under the false bottom leaving sufficient space for wheel chair and everything else that I need for shopping etc...

LPG is giving me 36 miles per gallon and at 64p per litre I'm very happy with the cost/benefit of having the conversion.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
What was the total cost (outlay)of the conversion? How long before you recoop the money spent?I've been told that it costs about £1000/£1500 with other cars

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
silverhairs said:
What was the total cost (outlay)of the conversion? How long before you recoop the money spent?I've been told that it costs about £1000/£1500 with other cars

It was £995.

Petrol:

<blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;"><blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">12000 / 40mpg

</blockquote><blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">

</blockquote><blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">300 gallons times 4.54 = 1362 litres times 131.7p = £1793.75

</blockquote></blockquote>

LPG:

<blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;"><blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">12000 / 36mpg

</blockquote><blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">

</blockquote><blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">333.33 gallons times 4.54 = 1513.33 litres

</blockquote><blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">1513.33 times 64p = £968.53

</blockquote></blockquote>

£1793.75 - £968.53 = £825.22 savings

I would say that I am achieving 10% loss on the miles per gallon but that is ultra conservative driving style.

If I were to use the same driving style that achieved the 40 mpg on the petrol then I think the drop in miles per gallon would be nearer 15 to 20%. Using the same calculations then the savings would be circa £704 (32mpg/20% loss).

The savings are per year but there is flashlube to buy about £30 per year and a reduction in car tax of £10 per year.

Still need to buy some petrol every now and again as the car starts on petrol until the engine has got up to temperature - about 1 mile from my house and the car switches to LPG.

·
Registered
11 Posts
HI GeoffJ, I am thinking of getting my 1.6 converted and was wondering what you think of running on lpg. Any problems?. Thanks, Mike D.
Edited by: Mike D.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
If I purchased £995.00 worth of diesel at todays prices (£1.33) I would be able to get 748 Galls. With an average of 56 MPG I would be able to get 41888 miles.
I've worked out that I average about 625 (rounded up) per month or about 7500 per year. It would take me 5.58 years just to pay for the conversion.
I tested the 1.4 and the 1.6 petrol before I purchased the 1.5 diesel, I found it has more torque and goes up steep hills a lot faster (keeping the turbo in it's power band). On motorways the revs are a lot lower and it's a much more relaxed drive. you don't have the engine revving at about 3500 when doing 70MPH
But everyone to their own, if you like a petrol engine car, GREAT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, Geoff. Has I explained I have a 1.6 petrol and have already run an LPG car, but want to hear from someone who has had the conversion, what system they had ,and any problems they might have had. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Mike D.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I think I've got to recalculate my findings.
But I still wouldn't go to the expense to be able to run on LPG. Now if I had a 3.5Ltr engine car, that would be the road to go down

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Just had a recount on the time it would take to pay for the £995 conversion

1.33 Ltr X 4.546 = £6.05 Gall
£995.00 divided by 6.05 = 164.46 gals X 56mpg = 9209.9 Miles

so it would be about a year and a half's driving to pay for the conversion
. By that time Would I still have the car? and If I sold it with the conversion, would I get back my £995.00 back?.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts